Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Camping Room with Windows (and slidepod)

Paul Grice

Paul Grice

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hello all,

Newish to this and kitting out my beach.

Wondered if anybody on here had tried the comfortz awning kit camping room. Seems quite useful to have the space and privacy but wondered if what you gain in space you lose in light. Also, couldn't quite tell whether it actually includes integral window covers inside so one can black out all the windows when needing total privacy.

Seems buying one of these vans is a lesson in economic packing and optimal space usage. Had a slidepod fitted which is kind of fun and I enjoyed the envious looks last year. However, now feel it is a massive loss of storage space for a couple of hobs and a sink... will probaly use it for one stop things like festivals but for travelling will stick with a stove, collapsable bowl and roll up table that takes up about 5% of the space and cost about £50 all in!

It's all about how to use the space isn't it?! All advice welcome :)

Welcome , the awning sides from Comfortz(forum sponsor) is very popular on here . I do not have one but the most are very happy with it . Now and then one comes for sale 2nd hand don't know why they sell it .
Lots have been written on the forum about awning sides as on pods and slide out pods in the Beach.
Read some posts using the "search" function above and you wil get wiser.....or more confused....:D

IMG_6472.JPG
Hello all,

Newish to this and kitting out my beach.

Wondered if anybody on here had tried the comfortz awning kit camping room. Seems quite useful to have the space and privacy but wondered if what you gain in space you lose in light. Also, couldn't quite tell whether it actually includes integral window covers inside so one can black out all the windows when needing total privacy.

Seems buying one of these vans is a lesson in economic packing and optimal space usage. Had a slidepod fitted which is kind of fun and I enjoyed the envious looks last year. However, now feel it is a massive loss of storage space for a couple of hobs and a sink... will probaly use it for one stop things like festivals but for travelling will stick with a stove, collapsable bowl and roll up table that takes up about 5% of the space and cost about £50 all in!

It's all about how to use the space isn't it?! All advice welcome :)

Hi Paul, we've had our 2 seater Beach for two months and really love it. Use it for travelling around the uk with work, and for weekends away, and planned European holidays. We made the right decision not to have an Ocean because our essentials were a wide bed, and ability to properly cook. I didn't like the idea of cooking inside the van and we've made the right choice.

We bought a slidepod, and I use it nearly everyday. I don't use the large water tank, because I don't seem to us either that much water, and what I do use comes from three two litre bottles filled at home stored in the slidepod, and the space the water tank uses up I use for essentials like hookup etc. It is great though, and pleased I've got it.

We've bought other kit like a maxxcamp nylon cupboard, and Quechua tent, but after lots of trial and effort have come to the conclusion that simpler is better, and the back shelf is all used for bedding, other storage under the seat, and the side box is for clothes and camping essentials are behind the back two seats.

Then for proper trips when we spend time camping and setting up properly we pack a big camping box with awning, loo, big water bottle, etc etc. When we get wherever we're going we throw out the shelter, out the trunk in it, and organise ourselves. The van essentially stays the same whether its a quick work trip or a holiday, except we chuck the box in. It's an old GWR trunk, but you can buy new.

Each to their own, but I find this the least hassle, and it's a squeeze in the back, but if you're going somewhere for a few days it's worth it.

Have a nice day!

I enjoy the minimalist approach, but I'm not sure my one, two or three female co-travellers appreciate it so much.

Am reluctantly coming to the conclusion we need an overflow tent + @Salty style hamper for storage on-site, but haven't yet seen one that suits & any form of attaching it to the van looks like hassle (kadors, magnets, figure-of-eights et al).

Quechua shelter for me I think.

To answer your question, yes the Comfortz room does come with internal covers for the windows.
Re the light ours is a light grey colour so the light loss is minimal. We've had ours about three years and wouldn't be without it. All lives in two bags which are stored with the chairs in the tailgate.
Quite often we use just one side, two sides or just the front depending on what we need. When it's all erected you can unvelcro the front from the ends and just throw it over the top of the awning.
Very versatile configurations.

Last edited:
I have a black one and its brilliant. Yes windows can be covered from inside. Packs up small and gives huge flexibility. Recommended.

Thanks all... that's tells me exactly what I need to know. Nice tip of storing awning in the tailgate chair area.... hadn't realized there was any spare space in there so will have look... it's all about space!

Btw one of the posters mentioned carrying water bottles for the slidepod so as to free up the space otherwise taken up by the water tank. I was quite surprized by the tank supplied with the slidepod, it is low squat and quite wide which means you have to slide the seats forward even more and lose space in the cabin. I went online and found that the sailing fraternity have been dealing with the space issue for donkey's years and as a result there seem to be many solutions from flexible bag like tanks to just various shaped tanks Iended up ordering one that Is much narrower and taller, shaped more like a hardback book than a loaf of bread... result was same capacity but more room inside the cab as don't need to slide the seats so far forward.

Thanks for the tips folks

We've just bought one as we thought it would be a flexible option.

We have the Comfortz side walls for the awning as one of our solutions for extra space.
It can be easily put up by one person which is a big advantage over some of the driveaway awnings.
It takes up very little space when packed away.
There are roll up covers for the two big windows in it, one in each panel and the door in the remaining panel. There is lots of space in there for evening meals around the table and for storing things to make more space inside the Cali in the evenings. You can join them up with a connecting piece if friends have the same awning.
You do need to make sure it is well pegged out and the tie down strap is in place to hold the roll out awning firmly down.

The disadvantage is that it completely immobilises the vehicle unless you dismantle it again.

+1 for Comfortz awning sides, as stated above the big selling point for us was storage when not in use and ease of putting it up, also we sometimes just put one side up just for privacy.

I enjoy the minimalist approach

Wind the awning out over the front of the Quechua door and job done.
Problem with drive away awning/tents etc. Is actually attaching to the vehicle. PITA.

I have used the big tank and you do need to move the seat forward slightly or you can put it on the parcel shelf. I was surprised how big it was and it has more than enough water for a week or so (well never ran out yet). For us this created some extra storage space for us behind the seat too.

I also have some taller smaller slimmer water tanks that I bought for my T25, these should also work great but are much thinner so you need less space but are a obviously smaller capacity compared to the slidepods. However it is still plenty for a long weekend away. For days out we just take a bottle of water.

For us the big tank is for longer trips and wild camps away from facilities and we will use the smaller tanks for the shorter trips.

I have seen the awning sides and they looked fantastic, always lots of them at Cali meets. The only reason I didn't get one was because I wanted something drive away as we don't tend to stay in one place for long on holiday. :)

I have used the big tank and you do need to move the seat forward slightly or you can put it on the parcel shelf. I was surprised how big it was and it has more than enough water for a week or so (well never ran out yet). For us this created some extra storage space for us behind the seat too.

I also have some taller smaller slimmer water tanks that I bought for my T25, these also work great but are much thinner so you need less space but are a obviously smaller capacity compared to the slidepods. However it is still plenty for a long weekend away. For days out we just take a bottle of water.

For us the big tank is for longer trips and wild camps away from facilities and we will use the smaller tanks for the shorter trips.

I have seen the awning sides and they looked fantastic, always lots of them at Cali meets. The only reason I didn't get one was because I wanted something drive away as we don't tend to stay in one place for long on holiday. :)
Hi Matt, when you change the gas on your slidepod, do you clamber down the back of the seats or pull the slidepod out on its rails? I'm quite tall so it's awkward, how do you get on, Neil

I folded the seat down and changed it from inside the van. No idea if it's the best way though. I haven't tried by sliding out the pod but it would need lifting out maybe?

Last edited:
I have a comfortz camping room simplky because it was part of the equipment of the used van I bought. I hate it. Used it once and thought "What AM I doing - I bought the Cali to get AWAY from putting things up and pegging them down"
But that's just me, and there aren't usually more than 2 of us in the van so we don't need the space.

I have a comfortz camping room simplky because it was part of the equipment of the used van I bought. I hate it. Used it once and thought "What AM I doing - I bought the Cali to get AWAY from putting things up and pegging them down"
But that's just me, and there aren't usually more than 2 of us in the van so we don't need the space.

oh that's grown the cat amongst the pigeons... I was just about to buy one and my only reservation had been that it seemed like a bit of faff and that I bought the beach for the simplicity... I think I'll have to go into a dark room and think this one through!

Actually I've just remembered why I bought the slidepod. I was going to go to Glasto and they don't let you in the camper van area without a fitted kitchen... they probably would have let the beach in but I wasn't taking any chances! So did I manage to actually get tickets to Glasto? Did I hell and next year it a fallow year... doh! Anyway it's very well built, does exactly what it is supposed to, my wife loves it and it sort of finishes off the hippy van. I'm now chewing over whether I can solve the storage issue by fitting a low profile roof box without my roof sagging. I've seen some discussions about roof boxes but the posters don't specify whether they have a beach or ocean one and not sure if it makes any difference....

I haven't used it yet but you can get a submersible pump fittings/
adapter parts for a few quid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I haven't used it yet but you can get a submersible pump fittings/
adapter parts for a few quid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks, if it works, will you send me a link please.

oh that's grown the cat amongst the pigeons... I was just about to buy one and my only reservation had been that it seemed like a bit of faff and that I bought the beach for the simplicity... I think I'll have to go into a dark room and think this one through!

I guess you really need to think about why/when/what you might need/use it. For weather protection? Storage room? Sitting in on dark/wet evenings? Extra sleeping?

Adding any extra equipment and paraphernalia to lug around or faff with is always a pain and IMHO has to be really justified.

I do sometimes consider adding a proper set of sides (instead of the £20 Quecha Tarp extension) but to really make it a proper usable sheltered room you need all three sides and then you're effectively adding a load of faff and time whenever you want to put the thing up or down. And as mentioned by others best to leave that to the Caravan brigade who stay put for days or weeks. Too much hassle in a camper van when you want to nip out at a moment's notice.

For us then as fairweather summer campers then we'll probably stick with the Cali awning, adding the Quecha Tarp if needed now and again (1 min job) and using a small Quecha 2 man pop up tent for my son to sleep in or dump stuff in.

But as always and as shown in numerous topics on this forums everyone's needs are different and the way one person utilises their camper is totally different from another - we are all different but we can all agree that it comes down to the golden word with campers and equipment - compromise! :)

Actually I've just remembered why I bought the slidepod. I was going to go to Glasto and they don't let you in the camper van area without a fitted kitchen... they probably would have let the beach in but I wasn't taking any chances! So did I manage to actually get tickets to Glasto? Did I hell and next year it a fallow year... doh! Anyway it's very well built, does exactly what it is supposed to, my wife loves it and it sort of finishes off the hippy van. I'm now chewing over whether I can solve the storage issue by fitting a low profile roof box without my roof sagging. I've seen some discussions about roof boxes but the posters don't specify whether they have a beach ocean one and not sure if it makes any difference....
Ouch talk about salt in the wound, well there is always next time!

I'm also pondering a roof box too, this will be to take things like floor tiles, awning, boots, basically the outdoor stuff. Had a look at the mid sized one at Go Outdoors to get a feel. Weight limits dont vary much but the sizes may help I think.

Wind the awning out over the front of the Quechua door and job done.
Problem with drive away awning/tents etc. Is actually attaching to the vehicle. PITA.
Yes, I aggree
I enjoy the minimalist approach, but I'm not sure my one, two or three female co-travellers appreciate it so much.

Am reluctantly coming to the conclusion we need an overflow tent + @Salty style hamper for storage on-site, but haven't yet seen one that suits & any form of attaching it to the van looks like hassle (kadors, magnets, figure-of-eights et al).

Yes I agree, Kayders etc are a pain. We had our second weekend away in April with the new Beach and an Outwell drive away awning. After fiddling around with the Kayder, figure of eight etc for twenty minutes, a EUREKA moment struck! I simply fitted the aluminium spreader pole supplied, to the Outwell porch and then instead of using the Kayder to attach, I placed the pole/porch canvass up and over the Cali wind out awning cassette, dropped the two guy ropes to the ground and secured with pegs. The result was a watertight secure fitting, no broken finger nails and done in seconds. When going out for the day it took just a couple of minutes to release the guy ropes and drive away.

Like this you mean

The other easy way is like this. Figure of eight clipped onto the edge of the awning.

Back