Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cancelling my Cali Order. Thank you for all your support!!

These sort of decisions are always best made with the head and not the heart. For what it's worth I think that you've made the right decision. Family financial security should always come first. As they say, if in doubt best do nout.

I like to think that you've merely postponed your Cali dream not cancelled it.
As always, thanks @Borris

Thank you. I haggled the free mats alongside a 9.12% dicount :thumb
Unfortunately the dealer is refusing to give me back the £1k deposit saying they have incurred £1k in costs, what a coincidence the costs come to exactly £1k. :sad:(:(:(
Should i just take the £1k hit (really can't afford it, but the "costs incurred" order form contract term can be anything i suppose) :talktothehand
I doubt if the dealer will lose out. If you don't buy it someone else will.

Go to the top and ask to see the dealer principal. Apologise and explain your circumstances and tell him/her that you still want the buy a Cali at some point in the future and that returning your deposit would maintain that goodwill. You never know the dealer may take the long term view that keeping your deposit is unlikely to encourage your future custom. As they are currently refusing to return your deposit why not give it a try?

I doubt if the dealer will lose out. If you don't buy it someone else will.

Go to the top and ask to see the dealer principal. Apologise and explain your circumstances and tell him/her that you still want the buy a Cali at some point in the future and that returning your deposit would maintain that goodwill. You never know the dealer may take the long term view that keeping your deposit is unlikely to encourage your future custom. As they are currently refusing to return your deposit why not give it a try?
Thanks Borris, thats exactly what i have just done now and sent a long email explaining my situation, the fact that i still want a cali in the future and so far its its been an absolute pelasure dealing with them. Touch wood, they do see the long game!

They will most certainly have "incurred" some costs but I'm struggling to imagine what they did that has cost them £1,000; sure they will have spent time with you leading up to you placing the order but this is not "costs incurred" at all, this is just the normal day to day cost of "selling"; they will spend far more hours with other people who never buy. You went to the next phase of sitting down with the dealer and placing your order and so this is where the "costs incurred" will have come from.

If your buying experience was anything like mine then this is how I'd break it down...
  1. Initial visit to show room - cost of selling, not costs incurred
  2. Test drive on a 2nd visit - cost of selling, not costs incurred
  3. 3rd visit to place order; sat with dealer for maybe an hour while he filled in order form - costs incurred
  4. Submitting order to VW (electronically I presume) - costs incurred
  5. A little back and forth "tweaking" my order - costs incurred
So if I were to cancel my order, I'd expect the "costs incurred" to consist of 3 thru 5 above which perhaps amounts to 2 or 3 hours of the salespersons time; a couple of hundred pounds maybe?

Hopefully I don't end up having to cancel my order because they made me pay £2,000 deposit, not £1,000.

Although looking at it another way, if the contract says "cancellation is costs incurred" then working on the textbook definition of what a deposit is then it could actually mean that if you cancel your order then VW have the right to both keep your deposit and also sting you for additional "costs incurred".

If I were in your shoes, I'd do what @Borris is suggesting above and with a bit of luck they will agree to return your deposit or at least the majority of it.

Thanks Borris, thats exactly what i have just done now and sent a long email explaining my situation, the fact that i still want a cali in the future and so far its its been an absolute pelasure dealing with them. Touch wood, they do see the long game!
That's certainly the right approach. Let's hope you get a result.

Nearly 20 years ago, I cancelled an Audi TT that I'd ordered, as at the time, car prices were a lot cheaper in Europe and car prices were being realigned in the UK.

The dealer did not want to give me my deposit back so we agreed on a £1000 voucher that I could use in the future.

You could ask to do a similar agreement but I'd doubt if they would agree to a 9% discount if you were to order again!

That's certainly the right approach. Let's hope you get a result.
Well @Borris there not playing ball after my email, £1k dissapered in to thin air :(:(:(:(:(

From dealer:

"I have just been in again and explained how your circumstances have changed and would need a refund, however, they have said again that it cannot be refunded, as the vehicle you have ordered has been built and will come to us in our stock, and would not be able to reject or cancel this vehicle as its reached its completion build date, which is also an expensive vehicle, and the option of 4 seats in a California Beach is not something we sell a lot of so will struggle to re sell.
As well as it costing the company to take your name off the vehicle been £500.00 plus the admin costs that come with it.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news and I really do understand your frustration,
This is a horrible position to be in and I really am sorry that I cannot do anymore to help"

I doubt they will struggle to resell with all them lovely options i meticulously picked. Do i give up now? My wife is upset we have just lost a £1000 pounds. Im in the bad books. Today is not a good day!! :headbang

I suspect this is a battle you may not win I'm afraid, they seem pretty certain of their position.

Although it would have been an interesting situation if your reason for cancelling was related to the new emissions and MPG data post WLTP testing since the form they had you sign clearly states you can cancel your order free of charge if official MPG and CO2 emissions are higher than what they were when you ordered.

I
I suspect this is a battle you may not win I'm afraid, they seem pretty certain of their position.

Although it would have been an interesting situation if your reason for cancelling was related to the new emissions and MPG data post WLTP testing since the form they had you sign clearly states you can cancel your order free of charge if official MPG and CO2 emissions are higher than what they were when you ordered.
Thank you. Will have to admit defeat, cant exactly fight VW. So at least we have an answer now, its £1000 to cancel the order once its built (but wonder what would have happened if i put £2k down).
Cant say im not disappointed. Feels like a double blow. Loosing the Cali and loosing £1000!!

You can certainly fight VW, nothing to stop you doing that but I suspect it will do nothing other than create more ill feeling and add to the stress of the situation.

Kissing goodbye to £1,000 with nothing to show for it is a bitter pill to swallow for sure; sorry the outcome wasn't more positive for you :(

I do feel for you but remember it is not VW but the dealership that is holding the deposit. Nothing to do with VW. It all depends on the contract you agreed but seems churlish of the dealer to retain the full amount. A sad end to a dream for the time being hopefully.

Good point! One minute (in my head and the dream) driving to Italy and then having fine food and wine with my wife whilst sitting under the awning whilst the kids paddled in the sea, but next (reality), no Cali, a £1000 down and in wifes bad books :headbang .At least i lived the dream and had a cali in my head for a while!!! :sorry

You can certainly fight VW, nothing to stop you doing that but I suspect it will do nothing other than create more ill feeling and add to the stress of the situation.

Kissing goodbye to £1,000 with nothing to show for it is a bitter pill to swallow for sure; sorry the outcome wasn't more positive for you :(
Thank you!!!

• Shattered dream
  • No Cali
  • Lost £1,000
  • The wife's bad books
Not sure which is worse! Tough day my friend :sorry

They will most certainly have "incurred" some costs but I'm struggling to imagine what they did that has cost them £1,000; sure they will have spent time with you leading up to you placing the order but this is not "costs incurred" at all, this is just the normal day to day cost of "selling"; they will spend far more hours with other people who never buy. You went to the next phase of sitting down with the dealer and placing your order and so this is where the "costs incurred" will have come from.

If your buying experience was anything like mine then this is how I'd break it down...
  1. Initial visit to show room - cost of selling, not costs incurred
  2. Test drive on a 2nd visit - cost of selling, not costs incurred
  3. 3rd visit to place order; sat with dealer for maybe an hour while he filled in order form - costs incurred
  4. Submitting order to VW (electronically I presume) - costs incurred
  5. A little back and forth "tweaking" my order - costs incurred
So if I were to cancel my order, I'd expect the "costs incurred" to consist of 3 thru 5 above which perhaps amounts to 2 or 3 hours of the salespersons time; a couple of hundred pounds maybe?

Hopefully I don't end up having to cancel my order because they made me pay £2,000 deposit, not £1,000.

Although looking at it another way, if the contract says "cancellation is costs incurred" then working on the textbook definition of what a deposit is then it could actually mean that if you cancel your order then VW have the right to both keep your deposit and also sting you for additional "costs incurred".

If I were in your shoes, I'd do what @Borris is suggesting above and with a bit of luck they will agree to return your deposit or at least the majority of it.
They have stated its gone beyond that and been made. Even if they said £972, would be more believable, but £1k on the nose, hmm "any cost incurred" could mean anything £500 feel wouod be fair

• Shattered dream
  • No Cali
  • Lost £1,000
  • The wife's bad books
Not sure which is worse! Tough day my friend :sorry
Cant belive how much its actually affected me. Took a day of work and now nipped to pub for a pint to drown my sorrows. Was sooooo excited. Its like santa not turning up and getting a bag of sticks instead (and a puch in the ribs)

Cant belive how much its actually affected me. Took a day of work and now nipped to pub for a pint to drown my sorrows. Was sooooo excited. Its like santa not turning up and getting a bag of sticks instead (and a puch in the ribs)
I'm sorry to hear that you've come up against a brick wall. Having told them about your change of circumstances, I'm a little surprised that they've taken this stance. They must realise that when you do eventually get around to ordering your Cali they will probably not get your custom.

Having said that you must have realised the implications of paying a deposit when you signed the order form. Your dealer's actions are entirely legitimate if not short sighted and IMO, rather mercenary.

Whilst it's of little consolation you could tell your wife that whilst you have lost £1000, had you taken delivery, you would have lost several thousand more the moment you drove it off of the dealers forecourt?

Last edited:
Sorry, I apologize but I only lost 2k on my first Cali Beach in 2 years..

:Iamsorry

If your up for some pain then the above is the way to get your £1k , its what I would do.
Its almost 100% certain the WLTP will turn up worse MPG figures. So hold on cancelling your order until the last minute then play this card. What have you got to lose, nothing time now. If your concerned that your costs will go up , they wont because the dealer has already stated its too late and coming into stock.
Also it would cost them to pursue you with very limited chance of success.

The reality is the contract is king and as above the signed form is clear and trumps their contract. Business is business so dont worry about upsetting the dealer theyre not in the least concerned for you even if you think they are. There will be other dealers and deals in future.

So sorry to hear that @MarkVw2017

I hope it wasn’t the hype of busfest and what these vans can become that swayed you some more.

All the best. PC.

Sorry to hear this has gone wrong for you Mark, but please stay on the forum; you liven things up! :thumb

I hope this is just temporary setback.

I think you should name the dealer so others can decide for themselves whether they would be prepared to order from them. It only takes one lost sale and the £1k they took off you will turn into a minus for them.

Hey Mark,
hope you stay (on here), hope you still go camping (with whatever you got), hope you find a way.
Best wishes!

I think I’ve heard enough quite frankly.

It’s clearing disappointing that anyone has there dreams dashed by financial circumstances but no-one has died, no-one at the dealership has done has done anything out of order.

A contract was taken out and a deposit was paid and lost as the order was cancelled, pretty normal I would say.

It’s also clear why the order was cancelled and it wasn’t due to CO2 issues or the like so it would be dishonest to say it was.

As for naming and shaming the dealer, by all means name them so someone who wants Marks Cali can buy it but there is no shame.

Yes, it was worth a try to get the deposit back, I would have tried but enough is enough.

Mike

Sorry to hear this but a deposit is a deposit at the end of the day. Very few deposits are refundable in retail or services in general, if they were refundable then the deposit would become totally pointless at the end of the day wouldn't it?

The deposit is there for a reason

Back