Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cancelling my Cali Order. Thank you for all your support!!

MarkVw2017

MarkVw2017

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Dear Cali Gurus,

It comes with great regret and sadness that after several further discussions, my wife and I have decided its not worth struggling to have a Cali so have sent an email asking to cancel the Cali and now waiting for the "costs incurred" bill via VW email (hopefully nothing!)

The reason i set up a new thread was because i wanted to say a Massive thank you to you all, its been a genuine pleasure over the last year talking to you all and although i never got to a club meet, felt like i got to know some of you quite well on these forums.

Its been a massive decision to order it and all the excitement that went with it, and a massive decision to cancel and all the heartbreak and disappointment thats goes with that, a full rollercoaster of emotions but no point getting in a financial pickle, no matter how amazing the Cali is (ive actually made a proper grown up decision for once in my life!).

Thank you to you ALL for all your fun stories, adventure tales, photos, videos, words of wisdom, advice and the genuine very warm ambience this whole club gives off!! Its been an absolute pleasure!!!

Thank you all again!!!!
:thanks:thanks:thanks :thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb

:(

This sounds like a sensible decision, you won't regret avoiding unnecessary and prolonged financial stress. Better to live and fight another day.

As above Mark, good luck to you and there's always next year. Keep the faith.:thumb

Must have been a hard decision. Keep the forum posted please on the outcome, if you can, as you surely won’t be the last to face this difficult decision.

Get a cheap transit and do a simple cheap self conversion over winter. It will still give you the escape required.

Insulate, carpet, fixed bed, under bed storage and 230v hook-up, curtains and your good to go :thumb

A sensible decision if there is any doubt, but if you still dream of the “Campervan “ lifestyle then there are cheaper options as @soulstyledevon has pointed out. And one day, who knows.:thumb

Indeed, I lurked for ages here, nearly bought a Cali (didn't due to sharp practice by the dealer) then bought a high spec panel van cheaper from Liverpool & had a conversion done.

Still lurk here as like the people & camping talk.

All things are possible. Good luck!

What a shame you have had to cancel your order; you must be gutted but as you say, little point getting into a pickle if you can avoid it and so it was the correct decision by the sounds of it. Fingers crossed it costs you nothing and you get your deposit back.

Still, you never know what tomorrow will bring and so never say never ;)

Real shame you've decided to cancel Mark.

Just be careful what else you buy. If you still hope to get into a Cali in a couple of years, don't buy something else now that will suffer high depreciation meaning cali ownership is even harder in the future!

Also, why not list your ordered spec and dealer on here? You may get someone interested giving you a better chance of getting your deposit back. (Although, I'd be really surprised if they don't give it back to you anyway).

Real shame you've decided to cancel Mark.

Just be careful what else you buy. If you still hope to get into a Cali in a couple of years, don't buy something else now that will suffer high depreciation meaning cali ownership is even harder in the future!

Also, why not list your ordered spec and dealer on here? You may get someone interested giving you a better chance of getting your deposit back. (Although, I'd be really surprised if they don't give it back to you anyway).
Thanks you very much, very kind words.
That would be fine with me if someone wanted to take over the deal, apparently its being made as i type and then going through WLTP tests. My spec was/ is;

MY19 Candy White Beach
150ps Diesel
DWG Automatic
2 seat bench

Options:
Parking heater with remote
3 Zone Air Con
Adaptive cruise control
MF steering wheel
Tinted Glass
Exterior Pack
Folding mirros
Black Awning
Front and rear parking sensors
2 Services
Free mats (haggled them in :)

Will happily ask dealer if anyone wants to take over the order, but i have no idea how that works though?

That would be fine with me if someone wanted to take over the deal, apparently its being made as i type and then going through WLTP tests. My spec was/ is;

MY19 Candy White Beach
150ps Diesel
DWG Automatic
2 seat bench

Options:
3 Zone Air Con
Adaptive cruise control
MF steering wheel
Tinted Glass
Exterior Pack
Folding mirros
Black Awning
2 Services

Will happily ask dealer if anyone wants to take over the order, but i have no idea how that works though?
...16 inch alloys

MY19 Candy White Beach
150ps Diesel
DWG Automatic
2 seat bench

Options:
3 Zone Air Con
Adaptive cruise control
MF steering wheel
Tinted Glass
Exterior Pack
Folding mirros
Black Awning
2 Services

It just gives someone an idea of a spec of Cali that would be available soon. If anybody is interested they could contact the dealer direct without you needing to be involved. Helping out both, anybody that maybe looking and your dealer.

+ I hope you haggled most of those options in and not just the mats!

It just gives someone an idea of a spec of Cali that would be available soon. If anybody is interested they could contact the dealer direct without you needing to be involved. Helping out both, anybody that maybe looking and your dealer.

+ I hope you haggled most of those options in and not just the mats!
Thank you. I haggled the free mats alongside a 9.12% dicount :thumb
Unfortunately the dealer is refusing to give me back the £1k deposit saying they have incurred £1k in costs, what a coincidence the costs come to exactly £1k. :sad:(:(:(
Should i just take the £1k hit (really can't afford it, but the "costs incurred" order form contract term can be anything i suppose) :talktothehand

These sort of decisions are always best made with the head and not the heart. For what it's worth I think that you've made the right decision. Family financial security should always come first. As they say, if in doubt best do nout.

I like to think that you've merely postponed your Cali dream not cancelled it.

That’s in the terms of order. Some dealers are flexible on returning your deposit. Yours sounds like he’s by the book.
Only you can decide what to do. Have closure and accept the small loss. Carry on arguing in the hope they change the decision but the added stress whilst waiting.

That’s in the terms of order. Some dealers are flexible on returning your deposit. Yours sounds like he’s by the book.
Only you can decide what to do. Have closure and accept the small loss. Carry on arguing in the hope they change the decision but the added stress whilst waiting.
Thays what i thought, sigh :(

I guess they may have the right to refuse the return of your deposit, its kind of the whole point of a deposit in the first place, i.e. it shows a commitment/pledge to buy and affords the dealer/seller some protection against people agreeing to purchase something without first giving it a lot of thought.

However, in this case, I think it seems especially tight of the dealer to not return your deposit, after all, you were buying from a huge business (VW), not an individual plus with a discount of over 9% they have built in a lot of wiggle room for negotiation when it comes to selling the Cali direct from their showroom and so they will have no problem selling it once they take delivery I'm sure.

Also, it does seem a little suspect that the costs they incurred are exactly the amount you paid as a deposit; I'd ask for a breakdown of the "costs incurred" and also suggest that returning your deposit would be a "good will" gesture from VW.

Hopefully they change their mind, good luck ;)

Thanks, Well the terms actually state "costs incurred" but i really should have clarified what that actually was :(

I guess they may have the right to refuse the return of your deposit, its kind of the whole point of a deposit in the first place, i.e. it shows a commitment/pledge to buy and affords the dealer/seller some protection against people agreeing to purchase something without first giving it a lot of thought.

However, in this case, I think it seems especially tight of the dealer to not return your deposit, after all, you were buying from a huge business (VW), not an individual plus with a discount of over 9% they have built in a lot of wiggle room for negotiation when it comes to selling the Cali direct from their showroom and so they will have no problem selling it once they take delivery I'm sure.

Also, it does seem a little suspect that the costs they incurred are exactly the amount you paid as a deposit; I'd ask for a breakdown of the "costs incurred" and also suggest that returning your deposit would be a "good will" gesture from VW.

Hopefully they change their mind, good luck ;)
Thanks, i might just do that. They have been absolutely brilliant, but sticks in my throat a bit them taking the whole £1k, thats alot of money in anyones book! Terms state "cancellation is costs incurred" not deposit, so feel a little duped that the costs incurred are exactly £1k. I defo expected some costs

Back