Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California dream is over for now.....cancelling order

Transfer box issue in my last X5. BMW picked up the majority of the tab as it was just outside warranty and a known issue. Still cost me £450 for double diagnostic, oils and software (rained the first time so not apparent)

Z3 3.0 was a nightmare. Sensor issues. But that was way back in 2001

Friend's 5 series touring had major electrical issues due to the sunroof leaking and some key electrics in the boot. Another had engine failure. Common issue with the 2.0d engine. But apart from the above and the highly knickable nature of the high end BMWs I didnt have any further issues (I didnt keep them long though)

Do they still have plastic water pumps?

Sadly, after all the planning and excitement, the frustrations have finally took their toll and we are cancelling our order. If you read my first post on this forum you'll know we had reservations about purchasing a Cali after a 2 day hire. But we stuck with our dream and brushed aside concerns over 6.1 issues, VW customer service and the delays. However we've had enough of the uncertainty and the real possibility of being without a car for a few weeks or months even, so after a real good talk about it we are going to go for an estate car again. A very nice one at that, as cancelling a Cali order gives you some nice options! We're hopefully going to go for a BMW M340i. Fully specced (but with no bed or kitchen!) and with discount it is about £52k, so way less. More importantly there are NO (or none I can think of) compromises, unlike there is with the Cali. BMW have also told me today that they have confirmed factory build slots allocated in March.
We will take out a 3 year PCP and maybe when that ends we will reconsider the Campervan dream.

Hopefully we should get back our deposit . I've purchased a VW number plate, so that is a wasted £400. Anyone want VW21 PMR :)

Thanks for all the fabulous advice and information on these forums. I don't think I'll be participating very much from now on, but I may be back in just over 3 years time.

Finally, fingers crossed for all of you waiting on a factory order. Hopefully you can see it out. Our company car goes back at the end of April and we need a big car for the dogs. I made VW aware of this issue but they haven't offered any kind of solution sadly, so we couldn't take the chance. We could try and get a used one, but the value is poor at the moment.

Thanks again,
Phil
JUST BUY A SECOND HAND 6.0. A 6.I MAY HAVE A FEW NEW ADDITIONS BUT THEY ARE REALLY VERY SMALL DIFFERENCES. TRADE UP TO A 6.1 WHEN REALITY RETURNS AS IT WILL

Blimey!
PhilR, I bet you didn’t think your post yesterday would stimulate 80 posts!

So not trading in your VIP membership?

I suggest we all head over to the BMW forum and see PhilR’s thought process unfold there.
Looking forward to season 3 though:
“BMW dream over, cancelling cancelling my Cali order”

Seriously though, good luck what ever you do, these decisions are big and never easy, but sometimes it pays to not over think it!
Life’s too short.

If we're swapping orders to premium German marques I'll fund a cheap Riesling if we sway Phil to a Marco Polo. Tis a Mercedes Benz after all.
With a pimply roof. Some are on their 3rd replacement.

Ha ha....and all I was trying to do was say goodbye in a nice, friendly way :)
No chance. You don’t get away that easy ;)

Sadly, after all the planning and excitement, the frustrations have finally took their toll and we are cancelling our order. If you read my first post on this forum you'll know we had reservations about purchasing a Cali after a 2 day hire. But we stuck with our dream and brushed aside concerns over 6.1 issues, VW customer service and the delays. However we've had enough of the uncertainty and the real possibility of being without a car for a few weeks or months even, so after a real good talk about it we are going to go for an estate car again. A very nice one at that, as cancelling a Cali order gives you some nice options! We're hopefully going to go for a BMW M340i. Fully specced (but with no bed or kitchen!) and with discount it is about £52k, so way less. More importantly there are NO (or none I can think of) compromises, unlike there is with the Cali. BMW have also told me today that they have confirmed factory build slots allocated in March.
We will take out a 3 year PCP and maybe when that ends we will reconsider the Campervan dream.

Hopefully we should get back our deposit . I've purchased a VW number plate, so that is a wasted £400. Anyone want VW21 PMR :)

Thanks for all the fabulous advice and information on these forums. I don't think I'll be participating very much from now on, but I may be back in just over 3 years time.

Finally, fingers crossed for all of you waiting on a factory order. Hopefully you can see it out. Our company car goes back at the end of April and we need a big car for the dogs. I made VW aware of this issue but they haven't offered any kind of solution sadly, so we couldn't take the chance. We could try and get a used one, but the value is poor at the moment.

Thanks again,
Phil
I'm sorry to hear of the delay. I ordered on 9 Oct 2020 and was quite surprised to be told it was at the dealers on 11 Jan 2021. This was a Coast with a few small options. In view of longer delays quoted by others, I'm wondering if options and related components are a factor. If you haven't cancelled yet, have a little think about "Sunk Costs", ie the delay you have encountered is annoying, but is not recoverable even if you cancel. Certainly the comments about residuals on BMWs here are accurate. All the best whatever you decide.

@PhilR If there’s anything I can say is that maybe look at 1-2 year old used ones? Just picked mine up 2 weeks ago, spent 2 weekends sleeping in it in the mountains near where I live and I couldn’t be happier. I also didn’t want to wait. But mine is of absolutey pristine condition with 4m, alcantara, dynaudio and only 30k km mileage, literally feels like new.. Think about that!

You shouldn’t say that.....we are renowned for changing our minds....as you have noticed!!!!
I can’t find a post on your preferred spec but remember it being a 4Motion. Appreciate it’s not in your preferred colour and it’s pre-owned but there seems to be a great deal on a used T6 4Motion with 6k on the clock, on the VW website. I know you were open to used in the beginning but there were no decent ones at a reasonable price. No photos yet but this appears to be coming in at less than some without the 4Motion.

Just thought you might want to see.

@PhilR If there’s anything I can say is that maybe look at 1-2 year old used ones? Just picked mine up 2 weeks ago, spent 2 weekends sleeping in it in the mountains near where I live and I couldn’t be happier. I also didn’t want to wait. But mine is of absolutey pristine condition with 4m, alcantara, dynaudio and only 30k km mileage, literally feels like new.. Think about that!
where did you manage to find one? Very little on otomoto, somewhere better to look?

I can only agree with the posts above about depreciation.

Bought a recent 320D a few years ago. Ik cost me 32000 euros, price new was 51000. So it lost 21.000 euros in the first 18 months. When I bought my Cali 4 years ago, I sold it for 16.000. So the BMW lost like 35.000 euros in 5-6 years time.

My 2017 Cali, lost about 12.000 euros in 4 years time. It costs a lot of money upfront to buy the car, but it's actually a very cheap car to have if you take into account the depreciation.

I can only agree with the posts above about depreciation.

Bought a recent 320D a few years ago. Ik cost me 32000 euros, price new was 51000. So it lost 21.000 euros in the first 18 months. When I bought my Cali 4 years ago, I sold it for 16.000. So the BMW lost like 35.000 euros in 5-6 years time.

My 2017 Cali, lost about 12.000 euros in 4 years time. It costs a lot of money upfront to buy the car, but it's actually a very cheap car to have if you take into account the depreciation.
I wondering how is depreciation to be on Grand California. I think Oceans Beaches and Coast is this order best retain value. Grand is mini motorhome so is interesting see how is happen.

I wondering how is depreciation to be on Grand California. I think Oceans Beaches and Coast is this order best retain value. Grand is mini motorhome so is interesting see how is happen.
Currently Motorhomes are like campervans and caravans with low depreciation or even appreciation.

I looked at the current price of the Motorhome that I had new in 2009 and a similar one was for sale at more than I got for my year old one in 2010. VED, servicing, insurance and storage costs not considered.

Back