Costs of cancelling a California Order?

MarkVw2017

MarkVw2017

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Dear Cali Gurus,

So my order is in the pipeline and i might jist have to cancel my order for financial reasons (some very unexpected and large bills have come through :talktothehand:rage:oops::mad:) so im just reading the small print on the order form and it states "if cancelling an order, you will have to pay any costs incurred"

Now when i read this when sending off order form, i didnt really care because you never send off an order form with cancelling in mind anyway.

But on on reflection, this "any costs incurred" is very vague because in theory, they could say anything so does anyone have experience of what the costs would be to cancel a California. I have put a £1000 deposit down so will assume i can kiss that goodbye?

I have been told its nearly made and will be leaving the factory soon :(:Depressed

:help:help:help

I cancelled a Tiguan order which had all of the small print that mentioned paying costs incurred, although I hadn't placed a deposit yet and they just cancelled it and I never heard back from them. My assumption is that you will lose your deposit but I would definitely ask.

Have you been spending too much time on the forum and not enough time working? :D Bummer.

Seriously though you will loose your deposit.

Last edited:
Speak to the dealer. Hopefully will just be the deposit but their loss will depend how easily they can place with another customer. Presumably the spec is not weird and wacky, which could mean they are stuck with it for a while?

Have you been spending too much time on the forum and not enough time working? :D
Hahahaha,, if only it was that simple. Been working my bottom off for 12 months to save for Cali and build up the pot but now wife work hours been massively decreased, chimney fell off so loads of work to be done on house, VWFS want £800 from giving skoda back early due to 'damages' (sigh, tiny tiny marks! :rage) and loads more things which have all added up.

Just weighing up my options, dont like talking to dealers without the 'gali guru' knowledge so i dont get fleeced! o_O Like i said, going to do everything not to cancel and keep it, but no point have a cali if i cant go anyhwere in it so have to be realsitic as well.:Depressed

Dear Cali Gurus,

So my order is in the pipeline and i might jist have to cancel my order for financial reasons (some very unexpected and large bills have come through :talktothehand:rage:oops::mad:) so im just reading the small print on the order form and it states "if cancelling an order, you will have to pay any costs incurred"

Now when i read this when sending off order form, i didnt really care because you never send off an order form with cancelling in mind anyway.

But on on reflection, this "any costs incurred" is very vague because in theory, they could say anything so does anyone have experience of what the costs would be to cancel a California. I have put a £1000 deposit down so will assume i can kiss that goodbye?

I have been told its nearly made and will be leaving the factory soon :(:Depressed

:help:help:help

Sorry to hear about your circumstances changing, these things happen.
in Sept 2015 I asked the dealer what the order liability would be if I needed to cancel my order. the reply was worst case scenario the deposit would be lost however in general as long as the spec of the vehicle being ordered wasn't obscure or unusual (easy for the dealer to sell on) then there would not be any loss of deposit or any other charges. This was specific to the cali only.

Speak to the dealer. Hopefully will just be the deposit but their loss will depend how easily they can place with another customer. Presumably the spec is not weird and wacky, which could mean they are stuck with it for a while?
Will do, would just like a rough few figures, they couod say £5k for all i know and maybe it is £5k, i have no idea whats 'costs they have incurred' NOTE TO SELF, CONFIRM SMALL PRINT BEFORE YOU SIGN ANYTHING!

In terms of re selling, it would sell tomorrow as its got all essential spec people would like eg parking heater, adaptive cruise control, dsg, tinted class, parking sensors, exterior pack, awning etc

Sorry to hear about your circumstances changing, these things happen.
in Sept 2015 I asked the dealer what the order liability would be if I needed to cancel my order. the reply was worst case scenario the deposit would be lost however in general as long as the spec of the vehicle being ordered wasn't obscure or unusual (easy for the dealer to sell on) then there would not be any loss of deposit or any other charges. This was specific to the cali only.
Thank you for your kinds words. That's postive to hear!! No, nothing weird, its a white beach cali with all essential extras thanks to this forum (acc, heater, tinted windows, sensors etc). Breaks my heart even writing this thread still going to do everything not to cancel it, but these scratchcards arent coming through and the roulette wheel keeps landing on the wrong numbers ;) Juat need to work out how much it would cost to cancel £0, £250, £1k, £2k £5k, £10k o_O

I discussed with my dealer while placing the order and my understanding is it could be the whole cost of the deposit or it could be less. Assuming you ordered a decent spec it should be relatively easy for the dealer to sell on as they don't seem to be overburdened with stock.

Give the dealer a call, they might be looking for a van for someone giving you an easy way out.

Apologies if I missed your spec, but maybe post it on here and someone looking for a Cali might take it off the dealer's hands and you might get away without losing anything.

Just a thought...

Sorry to hear of your dilemma. I recently had cause to use a scratch and dent repairer on my car whilst he was here he told me he does a lot of work on end of rental cars. Probably worth your while getting a quote to have the scratches sorted. The person that did mine did a very good job you can not see that it has been done. Hope this helps as he was a lot cheaper than £800.

Sorry to hear of your dilemma. I recently had cause to use a scratch and dent repairer on my car whilst he was here he told me he does a lot of work on end of rental cars. Probably worth your while getting a quote to have the scratches sorted. The person that did mine did a very good job you can not see that it has been done. Hope this helps as he was a lot cheaper than £800.
£800 is jist the start of the long list of unexpected bills but thanks for your advice!

If the spec isn't too unusual and hard to sell, the dealer may give you your deposit back.

Did you negotiate a good discount?

Sometimes, they may not be too bothered, it gives them another unit to sell.

Also sorry it may not working out for you. It is very easy to get carried away by camper van dream with extended purchase periods, personal finance deals and lowest interest rates than there has been for years. If you have to take a hit - work with your dealer for a controlled exit plan with minimum loss. I would go in sooner than later otherwise it is all speculation. You will not be the 1st person to have cancelled an order at the 11th hour. Seems to be a lot of Beaches at dealers when you look at VW website and getting near the end of the summer not the best timing in my view, life is a bummer at times.

Last edited:
Might be worth saying how much you agreed to pay for it as there may be someone on here
who will take over the order from you ?

If you are getting the MY19 model then they would of sent you a form stating that the MPG / emissions may change from advertised, and you can cancel with no costs when they update you with them? See extract of mine:
upload_2018-9-6_21-17-57.png

If the spec isn't too unusual and hard to sell, the dealer may give you your deposit back.

Did you negotiate a good discount?

Sometimes, they may not be too bothered, it gives them another unit to sell.
Thank you very much to everyone for your advice and kind words, once again very appreciated.

Not defo cancelling it yet, going to try and work some of my magic to try and keep the order going but just was looking at rough cancellation costs incase my magic wand is running on empty and i have to admit defeat!

Watch this space....
:thumb:thumb:thumb:thanks:thanks:thanks

Just got in from my night shift, very tired! (suppose most Cali owners sleeping, u lucky lot).

Anyhowsls, the update. My wife (aka the real decision maker) has stated over the phone today at my evening break, "I dont care if we cannot afford it, we are keeping the order and Cali, even if we go no where and have to live on beans and toast, we will just put the awning, chairs and table out in our front garden, have a coffee and read where we can go, we are KEEPING the cali!" Ooooooo, i love my wife!! :embarrased

Thank you every one. Next un-official Cali meet, in my front garden hahahaha :thumb :thanks:thanks:thanks:thanks

Where there is a will.....there is a way.:thumb
(Not that kind of will, please don't go slipping something in the mother n laws cocoa) mind you thats got me thinking:D

Seriously though, even if circumstances force you to take it slow and sleep on the drive and take it to the shops to experience it for a while you will not regret the Cali

PS I'm sure many people only just tip the scales in favour of a purchase due to the initial cost. It's what held me back for too many years.

Anyhowsls, the update. My wife (aka the real decision maker) has stated over the phone today at my evening break, "I dont care if we cannot afford it, we are keeping the order and Cali, even if we go no where and have to live on beans and toast, we will just put the awning, chairs and table out in our front garden, have a coffee and read where we can go, we are KEEPING the cali!" Ooooooo, i love my wife!!
We rented out our house and lived in the Cali for the first year of ownership.
:)

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Go and talk to the dealer and explain what has happened and why you need to cancel. Everyone isnhuman, give them the opportunity to do you a good turn, They are human too. They will easily sell it.

Where there is a will.....there is a way.:thumb
(Not that kind of will, please don't go slipping something in the mother n laws cocoa) mind you thats got me thinking:D

Seriously though, even if circumstances force you to take it slow and sleep on the drive and take it to the shops to experience it for a while you will not regret the Cali

PS I'm sure many people only just tip the scales in favour of a purchase due to the initial cost. It's what held me back for too many years.
:Grin
Wont do that, defo not in the Mother in laws will ;)
Thank you.
I was working here yesterday, a camper parked up, had a coffee and something to eat and then they went for a wonder around the village and they then went to sleep and I thought, wow, the freedom!! So when my wife and I had a chat in the evening , it didnt take me long to agree to keep it!! Im the impulsive one, my wife is the sensible one, so if she says we can afford it, then who am i to argue!!!

Thank you all again for your all your support and words of wisdom!!!
Screenshot_20180908-082821_Maps.jpg

Back