Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cashed in

C

Craig Morrison

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
With 2 dogs and the arrival of another small person I made the decision to sell on our beloved T6 Cali. Had it in at VW for warranty work and I casually enquired if they would be interested in buying it. They asked how much I was looking for and next day they called to say deal. Only lost £4K from new in just 2yrs 10 months and 26000 miles. The market is crazy just now and they have already sold it on for more than I paid for it new. Plan is to go for a motorhome next year once prices drop when everyone starts to go abroad on holiday again although will definitely miss the Cali as it was such a great all rounder for holidays and use in place of a car.

With 2 dogs and the arrival of another small person I made the decision to sell on our beloved T6 Cali. Had it in at VW for warranty work and I casually enquired if they would be interested in buying it. They asked how much I was looking for and next day they called to say deal. Only lost £4K from new in just 2yrs 10 months and 26000 miles. The market is crazy just now and they have already sold it on for more than I paid for it new. Plan is to go for a motorhome next year once prices drop when everyone starts to go abroad on holiday again although will definitely miss the Cali as it was such a great all rounder for holidays and use in place of a car.
Great for you and everyone has their own idea about this, but you didn't really last long with your small campervan. I'm just saying. More and more it appears that a large group did not really know what they were buying and do not prefer the great advantages of a small campervan over the so-called space that a fiat Ducato or something of that size offers. Just a thought.
One hears the same story over and over: needs change, evolve. I do understand but can’t follow it but you don't have to worry about that; I am obsessed with small campervans.
Who knows what the future will bring for our family (4), but for now we are going to more horsepower, air conditioning while driving and the many conveniences such as the sliding inner table, the outdoor table in the sliding door and the seats in the tailgate. That is why we also go from our old faithful T4 westfalia from 1991 to an already ordered (but not yet delivered) T6.1 coast. Bigger: not for us: convenience takes precedence over compromises. Each his choice.
Yet: have fun with your large campervan/motorhome!
Greetings

Last edited:
Good timing on the sale. Ive a feeling that it might be a couple of years before things settle down enough on the price side of things.

I reckon staycation is still a thing which will keep prices up next year too. We shall see!

PS My 2019 T6 is gone now too. Having traded it in on Friday. Lost less than £3k. Its felt more like a free hit! Enjoy your motorhome!

Great for you and everyone has their own idea about this, but you didn't really last long with your small campervan. I'm just saying. More and more it appears that a large group did not really know what they were buying and do not prefer the great advantages of a small campervan over the so-called space that a fiat Ducato or something of that size offers. Just a thought.
One hears the same story over and over: needs change, evolve. I do understand but can’t follow it but you don't have to worry about that; I am obsessed with small campervans.
Who knows what the future will bring for our family (4), but for now we are going to more horsepower, air conditioning while driving and the many conveniences such as the sliding inner table, the outdoor table in the sliding door and the seats in the tailgate. That is why we also go from our old faithful T4 westfalia from 1991 to an already ordered (but not yet delivered) T6.1 coast. Bigger: not for us: convenience takes precedence over compromises. Each his choice.
Yet: have fun with your large campervan/motorhome!
Greetings
Sorry but a comment like that just screams arrogance. We knew exactly what I was buying 3 years ago and during that time was exactly what we needed. But with 2 Golden Retrievers and a baby the California is no longer practical, in 5-6 yrs time that may change and we get another.

Oh I dont know. its great to try these things. However short (or long) the term may or may not have been, it only matters to the owner. We dont all tread the same path and thank goodness for that!

Sorry but a comment like that just screams arrogance. We knew exactly what I was buying 3 years ago and during that time was exactly what we needed. But with 2 Golden Retrievers and a baby the California is no longer practical, in 5-6 yrs time that may change and we get another.
Agree 100% with you. Things change in everyone’s lives and especially over the past almost 2 years of lockdowns and travel restrictions that haven’t even gone back to normal yet.
I don’t blame you one bit. I think most wouldn’t. When we bought our van we were 6 years younger. Since then a Knee replacement plus other issues have made us think about looking for something more comfortable, and with a toilet and possibly shower with hot water.
You didn’t make money from the sale it’s just you didn’t make a huge loss like you could have.
Hope you find something that better suits your needs..Good luck..

like i said: each to their own opinion on this and I’m staying polite in how I worded it. I still assume that I too can have an opinion. I'm going to leave your comment about being arrogant for what he is. Mine wasn't meant that way anyway. Again: do what you want and still I wish you some fun with your large campervan/motorhome. ;)

Last edited:
Agree 100% with you. Things change in everyone’s lives and especially over the past almost 2 years of lockdowns and travel restrictions that haven’t even gone back to normal yet.
I don’t blame you one bit. I think most wouldn’t. When we bought our van we were 6 years younger. Since then a Knee replacement plus other issues have made us think about looking for something more comfortable, and with a toilet and possibly shower with hot water.
You didn’t make money from the sale it’s just you didn’t make a huge loss like you could have.
Hope you find something that better suits your needs..Good luck..
I'm not judging or blaming anyone but thought I was allowed to have an opinion too (but apparently don't post it). Well, each does what he wants or do I have to write it 100 times as punishment like once in school? :D

Last edited:
Oh I dont know. its great to try these things. However short (or long) the term may or may not have been, it only matters to the owner. We dont all tread the same path and thank goodness for that!
With my post I don't mean that everyone should do the same, where do you get that? Before it becomes a smear campaign against me: forget what I wrote in my first comment (I'll stick to my idea) and get on with your life and have fun, small campervan or not :thumb

Last edited:
Fair play to you Craig.
Nearly three years and 26k miles of use, a small loss equivalent to a couple of weeks hire each year of ownership cannot be sniffed at !

good luck in whatever direction you take.
keep us informed what you choose

Well done on the cash sale.

You are now in the fortunate position of being able to grab that 'quick sale needed' bargain when it pops up.

We used to travel into France Spain and Portugal every year since 2002 up to a few years ago on a motorbike. It got to the point where getting caught in the rain in Northern France and travelling 500 miles in continuous rain just didn’t do it for us any longer.
Lots of bikers would say it’s all part of biking...NO I couldn’t agree less.
Especially having a blowout on a French Motorway.
Times change and decided to change to taking our holidays in a camper van. Now we could
stop anywhere we want, travel in the rain without getting soaked. I’ve never regretted buying a California but now we’ve evolved and look for something a bit larger and more comfortable. It’s not that I didn’t know what it’s like to be in a VW van
For weeks and months on end after traveling round Australia in a 1950s split screen Combi.
We still ride but not long distances any longer.
I’m certainly not obsessed with our camper that comes way way down the list of my priorities..Family, Pets, home.....That’s what does it for me. Oh and cleaning my bike now and again.

We used to travel into France Spain and Portugal every year since 2002 up to a few years ago on a motorbike. It got to the point where getting caught in the rain in Northern France and travelling 500 miles in continuous rain just didn’t do it for us any longer.
Lots of bikers would say it’s all part of biking...NO I couldn’t agree less.
Especially having a blowout on a French Motorway.
Times change and decided to change to taking our holidays in a camper van. Now we could
stop anywhere we want, travel in the rain without getting soaked. I’ve never regretted buying a California but now we’ve evolved and look for something a bit larger and more comfortable. It’s not that I didn’t know what it’s like to be in a VW van
For weeks and months on end after traveling round Australia in a 1950s split screen Combi.
We still ride but not long distances any longer.
I’m certainly not obsessed with our camper that comes way way down the list of my priorities..Family, Pets, home.....That’s what does it for me. Oh and cleaning my bike now and again.
Good for you and yes, I understand your underlying message. I'm sorry you don't understand what I mean either (e.g. I am not talking about from motorbike to campervan but from small campervan to large), but hey, here it comes again: each his choice and idea and I mine. Isn't that possible? Must you just nod nicely and can't have your own idea? I do not think so. By the way, I hope you all enjoy your choice, I'll stick with mine. And there's nothing wrong with explaining my choice. We evolve too (what a phrase) but recognize the conveniences of a small campervan and prefer it over a larger one. Shouldn't I say that? Because some of you have a hard time with that and why is that? I respect all your choice and even understand it but don't make this choice, deliberately even.
Oh yes: with us too, the family comes first and among other things a small campervan gives us those beautiful moments. Also it is adequate; bigger is not necessary for us, we adapt: first a couple, then one child and then another. Still in the small campervan.

So all: I've had it.
I will never again post my opinion politely of anything here.
:Iamsorry
I still like to come to your beautiful country and will plan a holiday as soon as I bought passports for the four of us.
Happy travels with your new choices after all that evolving ;)

Last edited:
So all: I've had it.
I will never again post my opinion politely of anything here.
:Iamsorry
I still like to come to your beautiful country and will plan a holiday as soon as I bought passports for the four of us.
Happy travels with your new choices after all that evolving ;)
Calibusje,
please do post your opinion in future, don‘t be put off, you add to the forum with your opinion(s) thats a good thing . :thumb

With my post I don't mean that everyone should do the same, where do you get that? Before it becomes a smear campaign against me: forget what I wrote in my first comment (I'll stick to my idea) and get on with your life and have fun, small campervan or not :thumb
Your post came across as quite critical of people who move on from their campervans after a short spell of ownership. Seemingly pointing out that such people were or are not of the right mind or attitude for small campervan ownership.

Ive a feeling that that isnt what you meant, its just how it came across.

It has to be said that we loved ours for the relatively short spell we had it. So glad we did too.

There are are also people who buy a camper van and absolutely hate it. Can’t get rid fast enough. It’s like going on a cruise some love it (me) some would hate it (My Wife)...

I put my T6 details into we buy any car and the quote was the same as I’d paid for it in December 2019. I am giving it serious consideration.

I put my T6 details into we buy any car and the quote was the same as I’d paid for it in December 2019. I am giving it serious consideration.
If you don’t need it any longer I wouldn’t blame you.

This post wasn’t to start any kind of debate on how long you must keep a California to be considered worthy. It was simple to highlight the market for selling just now is extremely strong.
As I said previously we thoroughly enjoyed our time with our Cali and got a lot of use out of it but at present it’s simply not big enough for 2 large dogs and a newly born baby, buggy, drive away awning, clothing etc etc. As I also said in 5-6 years time we will probably revert back to a Cali as it’s use ticks a lot of other boxes.

THE END

This post wasn’t to start any kind of debate on how long you must keep a California to be considered worthy. It was simple to highlight the market for selling just now is extremely strong.
As I said previously we thoroughly enjoyed our time with our Cali and got a lot of use out of it but at present it’s simply not big enough for 2 large dogs and a newly born baby, buggy, drive away awning, clothing etc etc. As I also said in 5-6 years time we will probably revert back to a Cali as it’s use ticks a lot of other boxes.

THE END
I was just at the Caravan Salon in Berne last Thursday looking at what was available in medium sized vans. Most of them have a similar layout, which is mostly corridor plus a dining nook that is too small to have my collie lying by my side.

I'm curious if you already found a MH candidate that would work for you with your 2 dogs.

I was just at the Caravan Salon in Berne last Thursday looking at what was available in medium sized vans. Most of them have a similar layout, which is mostly corridor plus a dining nook that is too small to have my collie lying by my side.

I'm curious if you already found a MH candidate that would work for you with your 2 dogs.
Hymer Grand Canyon have a nice layout

Hymer Grand Canyon have a nice layout
It's difficult to tell from pictures but it seems to have a similar layout to the GC and many others I've looked at. The area around the table is quite small (ironically the California has more space) and would be a no-go for my dog.

One of the Rimor ones had a layout that would work (there are probably also Hymer models that would fit the bill) but it's a substantially larger MH, definitely beyond the camper van.

I was hugely surprised at the high price we buy any car offered. its hard to ignore the market right now.

Back