Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Changing to a Beach from an SE

Victor

Victor

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Our warranty expires at the end of the year on our Cali and we are looking to replace it, we quite like the idea of the Beach as we want a bigger bed downstairs and a manual roof. We are just a bit worried that after having an SE we will miss all the cupboard space and especially a fixed fridge ( we don't cook inside so won't miss the hob)

Where do Beach owners keep their clothes, food, pots and pans etc... Is it a case of having loads of plastic storage boxes? Where do you keep the fridge, does it get in the way?

Has anyone else changed from SE to Beach? Is there anything you missed?

1 night: Small fridge that sits between front seats. Small suitcases for clothes and wash kits which sit on the front seats. Plastic boxes for everything else. Small Cadac Safari chef for cooking or pub. Awning panels from comfortz that attach to awning on Cali.

Several nights: Large Kyham awning, Cf 35 compressor fridge, plastic 3 drawer units for clothes that come straight out of the Cali into the awning (no unpacking), large Cadac carri chef, everything else in plastic boxes.

I've changed this week from a T5 conversion (same equipment / layout as an SE) to a T6 Beach with 2-seat bench. This weekend so far we've been out in it full-time & a rear seat passenger said yesterday "this is like being on an InterCity train, the windows are huge!". Whilst the interior is impractically pale, the new sense of space & 360' view is fantastic when you're used to squeezing yourself up against laminated cupboards.

Flip-side of course is less storage. I'm on a real Marie Kondo minimalist binge at the moment anyway, so I'm chucking stuff out of the hot air balloon frantically - I had just one gas bottle last for four-years & there wasn't ever anything in the fridge, so we're all good in a Beach.

I already had Duvalays which will go on the bench or up top and am a super-fan of The Really Useful Box Company - we're going to divide stuff into standard car mode, day-van mode and definitely-camping mode:

- hook-up cables, twin gas hob, under awning ground-sheet & tent pegs etc in permanent boot box
- kettle / teabags / sporks / plates / mugs / minimal bathroom bag / loo roll etc in rear bench box & drawer
- Duvalays & baked-beans box added if there's a whiff of a possibility of a sleep-out
- add clothes squashy North Face hold-alls on top of MultiFlex (one each max) if it's a definite camping trip

Years on sites observing the other punters (from my own broad range of vehicles) has convinced me there are three broad types:

- go & only watch Sky telly, albeit with a more scenic backdrop than at your own house (caravan)
- minimum viable kit as hardly in van as really only there to waterski / mountain climb / bike (conversion)
- keeping busy constantly getting specially bought tiny things in & out of tiny cupboards (motor home)

VW vans are slightly different to me as most (generalising) are more about the travel / touring part of things, so in turn more prepared to put up with the compromise of a smaller sized van for the car-like convenience of travel - the journey is the destination, not something to be endured. It's a very personal decision as to whether you'd miss the SE creature comforts, but to me it's a simpler choice of whether you see your van as a car with a bed in it or as a house with wheels on.

There are also no bad choices here - I'd be thrilled with either & there's more that unites 'em than divides 'em :thumb

I've changed this week from a T5 conversion (same equipment / layout as an SE) to a T6 Beach with 2-seat bench. This weekend so far we've been out in it full-time & a rear seat passenger said yesterday "this is like being on an InterCity train, the windows are huge!". Whilst the interior is impractically pale, the new sense of space & 360' view is fantastic when you're used to squeezing yourself up against laminated cupboards.

Flip-side of course is less storage. I'm on a real Marie Kondo minimalist binge at the moment anyway, so I'm chucking stuff out of the hot air balloon frantically - I had just one gas bottle last for four-years & there wasn't ever anything in the fridge, so we're all good in a Beach.

I already had Duvalays which will go on the bench or up top and am a super-fan of The Really Useful Box Company - we're going to divide stuff into standard car mode, day-van mode and definitely-camping mode:

- hook-up cables, twin gas hob, under awning ground-sheet & tent pegs etc in permanent boot box
- kettle / teabags / sporks / plates / mugs / minimal bathroom bag / loo roll etc in rear bench box & drawer
- Duvalays & baked-beans box added if there's a whiff of a possibility of a sleep-out
- add clothes squashy North Face hold-alls on top of MultiFlex (one each max) if it's a definite camping trip

Years on sites observing the other punters (from my own broad range of vehicles) has convinced me there are three broad types:

- go & only watch Sky telly, albeit with a more scenic backdrop than at your own house (caravan)
- minimum viable kit as hardly in van as really only there to waterski / mountain climb / bike (conversion)
- keeping busy constantly getting specially bought tiny things in & out of tiny cupboards (motor home)

VW vans are slightly different to me as most (generalising) are more about the travel / touring part of things, so in turn more prepared to put up with the compromise of a smaller sized van for the car-like convenience of travel - the journey is the destination, not something to be endured. It's a very personal decision as to whether you'd miss the SE creature comforts, but to me it's a simpler choice of whether you see your van as a car with a bed in it or as a house with wheels on.

There are also no bad choices here - I'd be thrilled with either & there's more that unites 'em than divides 'em :thumb
Excellent post to which a simply "like" was not enough. I'd like to think I want to be in Category 2 and to enjoy the journey to the destination.

Edit: Different user descriptions gave me a smile.

Last edited:
I reserve the under bench storage for tea / coffee making and a few essentials - so all i have to do is throw in some bedding for an overnight ..... and some milk.

For a weekend away i have a well organised box of kit - plates / stove / spices / chopping board / cutlery / plates / washing up bits etc which slides in the boot under the board. I have a cool box (soon to be upgraded to a Waeco fridge (which in the 3 seater will fit under the board) and a porta potti which may or may not be loaded.

Clothes / boots / kit can go in a holdall or a plastic box - i quite like the look of these MUJU drawers which fit under the board apparently - http://www.muji.eu/pages/online.asp?Sec=9&Sub=38&PID=155

Seems simple - and of course you are not driving a round in a camper - its an MPV

Thanks for all the replies however this is not what I wanted to hear :( I feel a negatives of a Beach could end up being a big compromise for us, I guess we need to have a good look at one in the flesh at one of the meets and see the way people actually live day to day.

The mention of drive away awningsand plastic storage boxes fills me with horror :Nailbiting

I have shedloads of plastic boxes, from really useful to the PB Company. I have yet to find the one that is good for organisation.

Currently I have two in the boot, permanently packed with all the hardware of hook up cables, folding buckets, funnels etc, and carrying my oven and bits.

Under the sink lower shelf hold three for food, under the hob holds one for all cleaning and sanitary stuff. If I had to let go of the kitchen units then I think that is what I would miss most. I can at least keep stuff static in those cupboards without moving boxes around.

The other big factor for me when choosing, and the one that in the end swung me to the SE, was the fixed hob. Simply because of my lifestyle, often parking up for no more than a night, often with no forward planning and throughout the year so often no outdoor cooking option.

When I come to choose again it will still have to be crystal ball time as to what my future lifestyle might be. If I no longer saw the need for those cupboards and hob then I could well swing to a beach.

Reactions: Huw
I used to tour on motorbikes (eg: "outside" for a week) with only a small Ortlieb hold-all. I'd concede that I was younger then & also that I probably smell better now too.

So it's all relative, but if you don't take it then you don't need to stow it. The Beach boot feels quite spacious to me :thumb

2seater beach seems more flexible for storage and sleeping.
Fridge near the bench. Can fit bigger one than in SE which was important for us. Got 50l one.
Mounted Alex with 5 drawers behind driver's seat. Very nice for managing the kitchen and the rest of frequently accessible stuff. For example laptops, kindles etc.
We don't use any extra matrasses. Slept on a bench pretty fine. Can throw the one from the roof if want more comfort in very bad weather.

A beach doesn't have to be filled with plastic boxes! There are plenty of places to store things in out T5 2seater Beach:
1) various cubbyholes where the SE kitchen units are. Here we keep our mugs, coffee/tea and camping kettle - all the essentials for arrival at your chosen destination.
2) large drawer under the bench seat. Hook up cable goes in here together with games, awning wind out pole and various other bits and pieces. This really is a large drawer
3) storage box next to bench (again this is where the SE kitchen would be and forms part of the larger downstairs bed). In here we put walking boots, rain macs, magazines and the roof topper. This is another large storage area and also doubles up as a nice foot stool for the person sat in the swivelled passenger seat!
The only things in the boot are the cooker and gas bottle and other things we only rarely use. Our sleeping bags and pillows stay on top of the multi-flex board.
Hopefully this gives you some idea of living with a beach but no boxes!

We really need much space even more than in Ocean. We don't eat in restaurants on the way and don't visit grocery stores every day so that means carrying pretty much of just food ;) Healthy sports eating is hard. We carry at least 60-90 eggs at a time :D, cos of daily doze of 12-14 for two of us.
Awning pole sits perfectly with chairs btw.

We have two plastic boxes under our 3 seater and one is for BBQ stuff and other little bits, the second is for wetsuits:D

The three drawers under the seat are used for the following.
1-Plates, bowls and cutlery.
2-Cereals and veg.
3-Cups, plastic wine glasses and other kitchen bits
The side area is then filled with coffee, tea, torches, kitchen towel, wet wipes and other bits and pieces.

Cool box mounted behind passenger chair filled with milk, meats etc. Although like the sound of getting a smaller fridge to fit between the two front seats.

Clothes go in soft shell bags, under the multiflex. Get the ones with wheels at one end, helps to slide in and out easily.

Front door pockets are filled with various things each of the adults need. For my wife, thats hair straighteners and a hairdryer:headbang

The jack compartment is handy for the jack and triangle and bits like that and first aid box etc. You can get loads in that if you pack it well.

Levelling chocks in between the chairs on the rear tailgate.

There are all sorts of things all over our van. You need to use it and camp out and work out what you need and where to put it. The first couple of trips are frustrating, but after a while you will figure out a system:thumb

I have come from T4 and T5 conversions with the camper and cooker configuration down one side etc, but now prefer the Beach set-up as we found we never cooked in our old van. Tell a lie, we did it twice. But we found we either cook under the awning on a COBB BBQ oven or go the pub :cool:

Last edited:
Why leveling van is so important?

image.jpeg
Our warranty expires at the end of the year on our Cali and we are looking to replace it, we quite like the idea of the Beach as we want a bigger bed downstairs and a manual roof. We are just a bit worried that after having an SE we will miss all the cupboard space and especially a fixed fridge ( we don't cook inside so won't miss the hob)

Where do Beach owners keep their clothes, food, pots and pans etc... Is it a case of having loads of plastic storage boxes? Where do you keep the fridge, does it get in the way?

Has anyone else changed from SE to Beach? Is there anything you missed?
We have the Beach with the 2 rear seat bench and find there is plenty of room for everything. We use the under seat draw for cooking equipment electric kettle plates bowl washin up bowl and a bit of food. The side cupboard we put all the clothes, towels toilet bag and then the back under the flexi board is anything else large gas bottle,walking boots, technic box and boxes of English beer for our German friends. The bedding is on top of the flexiboard. The only modification we have made is a small table which we can leave up at all times even when the bed is out, for making tea in the mornings and drinking wine in the evenings. ALL WORKS PERFECTLY for us.

You should consider mounting an Alex there. Works great as a big permanent table and you have loads of organized space in drawers. Has almost same height as mounted table. So can extend it on camping.
download

The only modification we have made is a small table which we can leave up at all times even when the bed is out, for making tea in the mornings and drinking wine in the evenings. ALL WORKS PERFECTLY for us.

Nice table! - I might look for something like that, the standard VW table is larger than I need inside & often too small outside the van.

Nice table! - I might look for something like that, the standard VW table is larger than I need inside & often too small outside the van.
I mount coleman's big table under the felxiboard. Doesn't compromise any space.

We really need much space even more than in Ocean. We don't eat in restaurants on the way and don't visit grocery stores every day so that means carrying pretty much of just food ;) Healthy sports eating is hard. We carry at least 60-90 eggs at a time :D, cos of daily doze of 12-14 for two of us.
Awning pole sits perfectly with chairs btw.
For gawd sake don't stop in a hurry or you'll have yourselves a Cali omelette! :Nailbiting

Last edited:
Having owned several motorhomes and two VW campers I think what is best for the individual circumstances of anyone is the best outfit. I am patiently(?) waiting for our new Ocean as that is best for my purposes now and for the future. My only comment regarding a Beach is if the use is for a couple (and dog) then the extra space for passengers is irrelevant and the fact that most of the contents would be hidden may be better for security.

This could fit in a " ----- ".

image.jpeg

Back