Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cleaning thick mud from Cali

blakeley

blakeley

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
OK, I am lazy I know, I have not cleaned the Cali since September and it is now covered in thick mud, possibly the worst it has been.

The wife moans every time she gets in/out as she gets mud on her clothes so looks like I need to give in and give it a clean.
I don't want to use the pressure washer for obvious reasons so just looking for some advice on cleaning without doing any damage to the paintwork.

I'd use a snow foam on a pressure washer lance (google snow foam) and then just be careful with a pressure washer - assuming the paint on the Cali is original or a quality two pack aftermarket then pressure washing carefully will not damage the paintwork.

The snow foam detergent loosens the dirt making it much easier to remove with the pressure washer lance, and prevents the grit in the dirt scratching the paint which would happen if you used water and a brush.

Hope that helps

I'd use a snow foam on a pressure washer lance (google snow foam) and then just be careful with a pressure washer - assuming the paint on the Cali is original or a quality two pack aftermarket then pressure washing carefully will not damage the paintwork.

The snow foam detergent loosens the dirt making it much easier to remove with the pressure washer lance, and prevents the grit in the dirt scratching the paint which would happen if you used water and a brush.

Hope that helps

As and expansion of this I'd pre-rinse and then snow foam, you can buy a cannon that can alter the foam thickness, then power rinse. For best results a two bucket hand wash using a decent wash mitt. Then dry it off with a deep pile microfibre cloth.

... message ends...

As and expansion of this I'd pre-rinse and then snow foam, you can buy a cannon that can alter the foam thickness, then power rinse. For best results a two bucket hand wash using a decent wash mitt. Then dry it off with a deep pile microfibre cloth.

... message ends...
I would second the above and add, let the mud soak with water before removing it. Remove as much as possible of the mud by low pressure spray as you can. Work top to bottom. Don't use wheel sponge/mitt on paint as the wheel dust is abrasive. Use a PH neutral shampoo.

Our vehicles get pressure washed all the time without any problems. Its the best way to get the underside clean IMO. A low pressure spray isn't going to shift salt and winter residue.

Why the concern about the pressure washer?
A broad fan from a reasonable distance seems to be OK according to lots of googling... Keeping away from seals and windows and any dodgy paint. Surely better than a gritty sponge?

Why the concern about the pressure washer?
A broad fan from a reasonable distance seems to be OK according to lots of googling... Keeping away from seals and windows and any dodgy paint. Surely better than a gritty sponge?
I agree. I think the warnings come as a result of over enthusiasm and incorrect use of industrial pressure washers. Normal ones at a car wash facility are fine.

Mike

Our vehicles get pressure washed all the time without any problems. Its the best way to get the underside clean IMO. A low pressure spray isn't going to shift salt and winter residue.
Agreed, high pressure underneath but for me high pressure on paint increases the risk of abrasion. It depends on the level of finish and protection you are trying to achieve. For example, i will apply 3 products to the glass but can understand how others may just use water. On paintwork soaking softens dirt and assists if falling off. Low pressure achievs that. I am a little over enthusiastic about cleaning! You can pre coat the paintwork with various products to reduce UV damage etc and they also help low pressure washers displace dirt with ease as the dirt does not adhere to the paint so easily. Most vehicles have swirl marks caused by poor washing but owners never notice. Each to their own.

Agreed, high pressure underneath but for me high pressure on paint increases the risk of abrasion. It depends on the level of finish and protection you are trying to achieve. For example, i will apply 3 products to the glass but can understand how others may just use water. On paintwork soaking softens dirt and assists if falling off. Low pressure achievs that. I am a little over enthusiastic about cleaning! You can pre coat the paintwork with various products to reduce UV damage etc and they also help low pressure washers displace dirt with ease as the dirt does not adhere to the paint so easily. Most vehicles have swirl marks caused by poor washing but owners never notice. Each to their own.
Agree, but then I won't be looking for swirl marks when downing a Peroni on an Italian beach campsite in 35c temperatures.

If people are that paranoid then surely they wouldn't let it get that caked in the first place ?

As WG says, hose it off and open a beer.

Back