Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cleaning tips for your Cali

Twenty years ago we invested in a Karcher commercial pressure washer such as garages have. It has had a new heater coil and new hose otherwise nothing and still going strong. One of the best purchases we have made. So very useful for so many applications. It was not that bad price-wise at the time either - about £1250 I think.
I’ve been though 3 standard Karcher pressure washers in 8 years. They’ve all ended up pulsing
I have a Karcher pressure washer although not a fancy commercial one like yours. Ours cost about £200ish from B&Q about four years ago. It does a decent enough job however I wish some bright spark would invent a pressure washer hose that doesn't tie itself in knots as soon as it's un-reeled. Not only does it does that but it lays in wait to trip me up and loves nothing better than to get itself caught up on everything it possibly can. It's a love hate relationship. Definately a case of you only get what you pay for!

Does your washer produce heated water?
You want to pick up a quick release gun. Such as https://www.in2detailing.co.uk/karc...-with-quick-release-nozzles-kar190635748.html

The quick release swivels so it doesn’t twist the hose, and I find you get better control over the smaller gun.

I’ve been though 3 standard Karcher pressure washers in 8 years. They’ve all ended up pulsing

You want to pick up a quick release gun. Such as https://www.in2detailing.co.uk/karc...-with-quick-release-nozzles-kar190635748.html

The quick release swivels so it doesn’t twist the hose, and I find you get better control over the smaller gun.
Thanks for your suggestion. However, my problem is that the hose is wound around a built in drum and being as stiff as hell, the hose converts itself into "a right old bunch of bastards" * as soon as it gets its freedom from the drum.

*(A Fire Service term for a snotty heap of tangled line).

Wheels of one at a time today.
  • Jetwashed
  • Iron x
  • Clay bar
  • Jet wash
  • Wiped down
  • Coated inside and out with Gtechniq c5.
  • Coffee

8C70BBF3-9632-4130-A5E0-267542733749.jpeg
7B2B24D9-A3C0-4C42-8C3D-8CEC2A29B2FA.jpeg
646E834D-7C26-40F7-8698-85AB7BD970DC.jpeg

Looking fwd to seeing how the coating lasts.

Thank goodness they are out of stock I have treated our Cali to an extraordinary amount of treats during this lay off.o_O

I have a Karcher pressure washer although not a fancy commercial one like yours. Ours cost about £200ish from B&Q about four years ago. It does a decent enough job however I wish some bright spark would invent a pressure washer hose that doesn't tie itself in knots as soon as it's un-reeled. Not only does it does that but it lays in wait to trip me up and loves nothing better than to get itself caught up on everything it possibly can. It's a love hate relationship. Definately a case of you only get what you pay for!

Does your washer produce heated water?
Yes and steam if you want it plus it feeds in chemical to the jet. It uses diesel to heat the water. K have been making these units for decades and have also moved into the consumer market. Their commercial stuff is engineered to last The same is not true of their consumer stuff. The lance has a swivel so the hose is easily uncoiled.

Any suggestions please.. windscreen cleaner when travelling that would fit in the bottle holder in the dashboard of a t6 Had a spray bottle in the car boot a few years ago that split. Smell was overpowering took weeks and a lot of scrubbing to get rid of it.
Thanks in anticipation

Autoglym car glass cleaner. Wipe on. Leave a few minutes to dry, wipe off. Brilliant stuff

Any suggestions please.. windscreen cleaner when travelling that would fit in the bottle holder in the dashboard of a t6 Had a spray bottle in the car boot a few years ago that split. Smell was overpowering took weeks and a lot of scrubbing to get rid of it.
Thanks in anticipation
Have you thought about something like this:

Just needs a little water; so no nasty chemicals to spill. I have an older kit in my car which came with a small spray bottle but you could pick up one separately. If there is condensation on the window you don’t need to spray. You can just throw it in the washing machine when dirty.

Sold out on the e-cloth store but is available on Amazon.

Fiddling about with the roof today and noticed that the metal on the scissor mechanisms is exhibiting signs of slight corrosion. Any thoughts on what is/has caused this and how to remedy?

P2260201.JPG

Fiddling about with the roof today and noticed that the metal on the scissor mechanisms is exhibiting signs of slight corrosion. Any thoughts on what is/has caused this and how to remedy?

View attachment 74321
Good afternoon,

I have the same on the scissor mechanisms (maybe not that much, but it is there).

I tried to "wipe it away" with a microfiber cloth (Granville, fetch your cloth :D ) and WD40, but that didn't work at all. So I am interested if somebody managed to get it off.

Happy clean California,
Eberhard

Hi Vagophile

I believe the mental is Zinc Passivated.

I can’t see, from the photo, if rust is showing through or not ?

it looks like they have not been rinsed sufficiently after the plating process, the whitening is normal.

give the parts a wash then put some silicone spray on them if it bother you.

if rust is showing through ? Something longer lasting like ACF50 should keep corrosion at bay

Make sure not to spray anything on The bellows

Thanks. Yes, there are small specks of rust, only a millimetre or two, but it's there in a few places. I will try ACF 50 if the weather stays fine.

Last edited:
Wire wool the area of rust first to remove the top oxidisation and allow the ACF to penetrate, just don’t rub off the passive coating that’s left

I thought that now a lot of us will have a bit more time due to the current climate and measures being taken it would be good to hear any tips that anybody had for cleaning their pride and joy????????

Get the butler to do it.... :shocked

Must be that time of the year.
Started giving the roof a good clean down today along with spraying some duck oil around the awning legs and locks and stuff.

Grim.
3939D62E-901D-433F-BA84-930BDFCFB225.jpeg
Check your roof
95F119A3-F3A0-4A6B-8290-1DB5546F1A67.jpeg
Solar Panels On
7593339F-A4A4-4E40-9D73-852729F5249F.jpeg

Would recommend some helicopter tape for under the curly chord @soulstyledevon :thumb

Definitely.
Good tip, thanks :thumb

Didn’t you recommend the Koni shocks to me a while back. That’s job number two on Thursday...

Looks great @Mr T roof and van.
You’ve done a great job, getting that clean :thumb