Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Condensation Inside Windscreen (not while camping)

jamesC

jamesC

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Hi,

The last few mornings I have gone out to my Beach to find quite heavy condensation on the inside of the windscreen, and I'm wondering if anybody else is experiencing the same problem?

I have searched for any wet or damp inside the vehicle, especially around the foot well carpet but no joy.

Interestingly the condensation only forms on the windscreen, not any of the other of the glass surfaces, and strangely was worse yesterday morning with an overnight low of 4-5 C than this morning with frost on the screen.

Like most on here, I am extremely reluctant to touch the windscreen to clear the moisture, so a 10 minute wait with blowers, AC and heat is my only option.

Any thoughts or advice that anybody has, would be greatly received!!

Thanks!!

I get exactly the same with mine. Like you searched for any damp areas (all seems fine). Tried one of those bags of silica gel left on the dashboard tray but that didn't seem to make any difference. Also recently got a mini dehumidifier which i put in the van for a day, it did extract a limited amount of water but a couple of cold & wet nights later I'm back to the same levels of condensation. The levels of condensation in the van are usually worse than my neighbours cars but maybe that is due to the bigger volume and windscreen surface area.
Do you have the climatic or climatronic A/C? I was wondering if that had any bearing on the issue. (I have the climatronic).

Do you have the heater on the day before :?:

No heater in mine (yet). Difficult to say but it does seem to occur more readily if the ive just used the van, rather a lot of variables to be sure though.

I've had the same problems in my beach.

I tried the silica gel but can't say it helped much.

It improved a lot when I got the sliding side window leaks fixed.

I think there's still a risk as there's a big volume of air in the van which if cooled (say from a warm day to a cool night) will have to release it's water vapour and it condenses on the coldest surface - the front windscreen.

I haven't had it happen recently but it's hard to tell if it's due to different weather conditions or the leaky side windows being fixed.

You can try to get rid of as much warm moist air as you can before leaving the vehicle using the aircon.

One thing is for sure - I hate it when it happens. Makes my expensive California resemble a leaky old Ford Cortina!

I found the condensation levels on my windscreen (inside) improved significantly when I changed from reversing onto my drive to driving face on to the front of the house which would now be offering a reasonable amount of weather protection.
When the weather really starts to bite I will then add the silver screen to also assist.
Also don't see any problem in having a sponge and leather handy to help out especially when winter wild camping.
Alan... :D

My cali has always suffered from this condensation. It really Ps me off in a £43K vehicle ! Happens over night on my drive & during the day when parked at work.
Also tried the gel bags but don't think they do much, probably due to the extent of the problem.
Don't like wiping screen as it always leaves smears on it which hinder vision on a sunny winter day.

I have been using my silver screen cover every day & night. Down side of this is that I suspect it will decrease the covers life.

I plan to check (make sure they are not getting blocked) the roof drain pipes that go down the A pillar in to the engine compartment this weekend.

I don't think it will ever be possible to stop condensation in a Cali. There will always be a certain amount of moisture in the the air inside and when there is a temperature differential between inside and outside it will condense.
What concerns me more than it condensing on the glass is what is happening behind the trim panels. As far as I'm aware there is no insulation between the trim and the metal so condensation must be occurring on the inside of the of the metalwork as well. The underneath of the Cali is pretty well protected but is the inside treated in any way? Over time this condensation will find it's way into seams and start corrosion. We intend keeping our Cali for a long time so some time I'm going to have a look behind the trim and see what's happening. It might well be a good idea to stuff some insulation in there as some of the converters do.

Wow.... Clearly not alone!!... Has anybody ever spoken with VW Customer Service about these issues??

My beach does not have climatronic, but does have a factory parking heater which this time of year I use a lot.

I reverse into my drive so the windscreen is the most exposed, I may try driving in front ways to give a little protection.

Oddly, when camping, I've been really impressed at the lack of condensation, even this time of year!!

Calikev said:
Do you have the heater on the day before :?:
yes the heater is normally on the previous day.

I had a thought it might be moist air coming through the windscreen vents and so may try some different settings when I leave the vehicle, to see if this has an impact!!

I have a related issue, which is the length of time as mentioned above, for the fans to clear the windscreen of condensation - 10 mins isn't unusual and that's using the "clear windscreen" option with Climatronic. I have had this looked at when still under warranty (2010 van) and a faulty sensor was replaced. Didn't make much difference though.

Ian

I have this problem as well - although more down here in Devon. I like the idea of changing the vent settings.

I think all modern climtronic/climatic systems can struggle to clear window screens quickly. The best heater I had was in my basic as it comes Ka.

James

My Beach too... I have noticed it is particularly bad when we have had exceptionally heavy rain.

Steve,

The sliding side windows are notorious for letting in water.

Have a look and see if there's any in the channel. There shouldn't be.

VW cleaned and lubricated the seals on mine and they haven't let in a drop since despite some shocking storms here on the West Coast. My front windscreen has been dry since too except for a single day.

Custardtart said:
The sliding side windows are notorious for letting in water.

Have a look and see if there's any in the channel. There shouldn't be.

VW cleaned and lubricated the seals on mine and they haven't let in a drop since despite some shocking storms here on the West Coast. My front windscreen has been dry since too except for a single day.

Checked my sliding windows today with a hose on them & yes they both let water in ! Add them to my warranty jobs list. Getting long again !! Raining so difficult to tell accurately where any other water ingress is coming from. Need to look on a dry day with a hose.

The good news is I think the seals just need a wipe down and smear with silicon grease - well that's what worked for mine.

Trouble with any sort of grease is dust gets stuck in it & then acts as grinding paste.

But will give it go if dealer can't fix.

I didn't do mine - I think that's what the dealer did - clean and lubricate seals.

Only noticed this this winter - not last, oddly. The condensation is really bad, and recently I've had ice on both sides of the screen. When I last drove I tried the recirculated air setting but that hasn't helped.

I have a chamois covered sponge which I use inside, seems the only solution.

GeoffB said:
Only noticed this this winter - not last, oddly. The condensation is really bad, and recently I've had ice on both sides of the screen. When I last drove I tried the recirculated air setting but that hasn't helped.

I have a chamois covered sponge which I use inside, seems the only solution.

Yes, a sponge and chamois (actually I have replaced the chamois for one of those synthetic cloths from "dub flecta"which doesn't mind being kept damp...I find them brilliant) kept handy used solely for the widows that is contaminated free from wax, silicon, etc.,that way I keep my windows gleaming and smear free.

Alan :thumb

I have checked the rear window for leaks, and cannot find any water at all in that area.

Interestingly this morning my beach had fairly heavy condensation across the entire windscreen, but this evening after a dry day here, I caught the condensation forming, and it certainly appeared to be coming from the windscreen vents, particularly on the drivers side.

Could moisture trapped by the air con be warming up and moving up through the vents.

Tonight I have set the vents to feet only in the hope this might have an impact on the problem.

Interestingly this morning my beach had fairly heavy condensation across the entire windscreen, but this evening after a dry day here, I caught the condensation forming, and it certainly appeared to be coming from the windscreen vents, particularly on the drivers side.

Yes mine appears to start from the windscreen vents. Have tried leaving it set on recirculate air but makes no difference.

Not tried setting vents to floor.
smgcowfold said:
How often do you have the air con on in the vehicle?

Alex mine gets used regularly.

The air con should be used all the time as it also acts as a dehumidifier so may help with removing condensation. Would recommend using it all the time and see if that makes a difference.

cheers

Back