Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Condensation Inside Windscreen (not while camping)

smgcowfold said:
The air con should be used all the time as it also acts as a dehumidifier so may help with removing condensation. Would recommend using it all the time and see if that makes a difference.

cheers

Are you saying that if you have regular non-climate air con it should be running even if you are heating the air? Or are you just talking about climate control?

Just put de-humidifier in the van, see how it gets on in the morning.

Sunday morning & has pulled about 1 pint of water out overnight.

Same problem here but we just put it down to it being a sleep in vehicle. We find less condensation when camping because we always ensure good ventilation. We've tried poly boxes of salt etc. and was considering a plug in dehumidifier on hook up as a potential over-winter measure.

ChrisandPenney52 said:
smgcowfold said:
The air con should be used all the time as it also acts as a dehumidifier so may help with removing condensation. Would recommend using it all the time and see if that makes a difference.

cheers

Are you saying that if you have regular non-climate air con it should be running even if you are heating the air? Or are you just talking about climate control?

It should be used all the time even if you have regular non-climate control air con.

cheers

I think the answer lies in the topic title.

We talk about moisture, temperature and due point. I have the same effect especially during nights when the atmospher is saturated with moisture. Below the dew point, it does not occur anymore.

From my understanding it happens only on the windscreen for 2 reasons:
1 - The air intakes are large and remain opened for most of us.
2 - The angle of the windscreen contributes to the condensation appearence. Indeed, condensation happens less on a vertical screen; cold air remains at bottom whereas hot air (near-to-condensing air) gets raised and stricks a bend window on its path. The condensation is due to the temperature difference between the inner and the outer glass sides.

I never too bothered with this effect but I think that if we close the front air intakes during due point conditions it might reduce the effect.

The only thing I am puzzled by is the VW design of front air intakes. We don't see often this effect/issue with other car manufactors.

The temperature being exaggerated by the fact the cal is insulated

I have been having this problem too. This winter but not last. From all the advice I'm going to try:
1) shutting the heater vents in the front
2) checking the side window is properly shut and the seals are not letting in.
I reverse park onto our drive which I did last year so don't think this is significant. Thankyou all so much for sharing. I thought it was just our van. :thanks
Can any one recommend a specific windscreen protector :help as a higher temp on the outside should reduce the effect too,
Thanks

Calikev said:
The temperature being exaggerated by the fact the cal is insulated

Where is it insulated Kev? Without taking the trim off I can't see if it is or not but there doesn't appear to be any insulation at the back of the cupboards.

Re closing the vents, won't this make it worse? Surely the idea is to get the temperature inside and out the same to prevent condensation. Closing the vents will trap moisture laden air inside.

Considering that the front air intake is the main one, it may reduce the effect but I don't think it will stop it totally. You are right.
The moisture can come in from diverse locations (seals, etc.).

I had the same for a while. Seems it builds up to a level where the fan won't even touch it.

I dried the screen thoroughly with kitchen towel then ran the internal heater for an hour and touch wood it's stayed dry so far.

Actually, scratch that last comment. Famous last words "I've fixed it!"

The problem came back.

This seems to be quite a serious issue. Should I return the Cali to the dealer?

Morning All

I have brand new Beach wife saying the same thing really bad in the mornings and she isn't to happy about it..... :x

Cheers

Shaun

bournemouthbeach said:
Morning All

I have brand new Beach wife saying the same thing really bad in the mornings and she isn't to happy about it..... :x

Cheers

Shaun

Hi Shaun,
Unfortunately it's a general "T5" thing andI have suffered 4 winters of these symptoms with my Caravelle ...... which incidentally is bone dry inside. (except the windscreen!)
Yesterday morning I removed the frozen towel protecting the outside of my windscreen only to find a band of ice along the top of the windscreen on the inside. This of course slowly melted with large drips running down the inside of the screen.
This morning I received my silver thermal screen cover from Nick at Comfortz and I will let you know if that improves things.
Did you get your seat covers yet?
Bill

surfbus said:
bournemouthbeach said:
Morning All

Cheers

Shaun

Hi Shaun,
Unfortunately it's a general "T5" thing andI have suffered 4 winters of these symptoms with my Caravelle ...... which incidentally is bone dry inside. (except the windscreen!)
Yesterday morning I removed the frozen towel protecting the outside of my windscreen only to find a band of ice along the top of the windscreen on the inside. This of course slowly melted with large drips running down the inside of the screen.
This morning I received my silver thermal screen cover from Nick at Comfortz and I will let you know if that improves things.
Did you get your seat covers yet?
Bill

Hi Bill

Cheers...

Got seat covers very happy with them good fit and more importantly wife happy...lol :D

Only thing i can't decide on is servicing, as we're on long life not sure we will get 2 services in 3 years so many just pay as we go...

Cheers

Shaun

I use my thermal screen cover at night now & yes it prevents misting. Just a pain to put on & remove everyday.

Does anyone know if theres a fix for this that doesn't involve a screen cover?

This seems like a terrible hack and shouldn't be necessary on a vehicle costing 45k.

Hi Shaun,
I would pay as you go.
I took out the 3 year option and did 60k in three years but eventually had to ask for a service at about 45k as the MFD never gave me any prompt.
I had a ford years ago that required an oil change every 9k-12k.
IMO anything over 20k seems unwise ..... no matter how good your long life oil is supposed to be. Call me paranoid ...... or just old school!
Bill

I would recommend the comfortz non thermal cover as well - keeps the screen clear on both sides and is a great high quality product for the money.... expect it may be easier to put on and stow than the the thermal one as well. I wish I could get the same for my other cars! as it saves scrapping the screen each morning.

My saab convertible is just as bad for steaming up .... once a dealer set a dehumidifier on it for an extended period which resolved the problem for a decent period. It does return though - their explanation was that moisture just becomes trapped in the car. You could also try that?

Steve.

I had in an 2 year old Audi A3 too really badly. Turned out it was a blocked filter in the air con.

But my cali is only 4 weeks old and its atrocious.

Maybe this is why VW fit the auxiliary coolant heater with timer so the screen is clear of condensation before you need to drive away ? just a thought
Ron.

Retiredron said:
Maybe this is why VW fit the auxiliary coolant heater with timer so the screen is clear of condensation before you need to drive away ? just a thought
Ron.

Cheers Ron,

If only I had fully understood the functionality and differences between the Auxiliary Heater, the Auxiliary Coolant Heater and the Parking Heater, I would have ordered the Auxiliary Coolant Heater for these early, cold morning starts. :headbang

I know the brochure gives a brief description of these and other options but it's not until you realise their "real life" functionality that you can make a measured decision on which options best meet your requirements. Well that's my excuse anyway. ;)
I've got to admit that I'm still not exactly sure what the Auxiliary Heater is ...... is it another name for the RES (residual heat button) or do people use Auxiliary Heater when they mean Auxiliary Coolant Heater.

Confused of Camrbidge.

surfbus said:
Hi Shaun,
I would pay as you go.
I took out the 3 year option and did 60k in three years but eventually had to ask for a service at about 45k as the MFD never gave me any prompt.
I had a ford years ago that required an oil change every 9k-12k.
IMO anything over 20k seems unwise ..... no matter how good your long life oil is supposed to be. Call me paranoid ...... or just old school!
Bill

Evening Bill

How many services did you get in 60k??

Cheers

Shaun

Oh blimey another thing I didn't know about!

My Cali has the extra key fob that triggers an auxiliary heater - is there another option for coolant/engine heating?

How many services did you get in 60k??

Hi Shaun
I had the second service and MOT done on its 3rd anniversary last October at just under 60k but have yet to be prompted for servicing by the Multi Function Display.
Incidentally it failed the MOT due to a broken rear coil spring ....... not a warranty item!!!!!
Cheers,
Bill

Back