Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Windscreen condensation

We have been experiencing really high humidity levels this winter of over 90% most days, so I presume that if you open a Cali door the air inside is then loaded with over 90% water :(

It will be interesting to see how it changes once humidity levels get back to lower 'normal' winter levels!

We have been experiencing really high humidity levels this winter of over 90% most days, so I presume that if you open a Cali door the air inside is then loaded with over 90% water

Whilst I don't dispute this it would suggest every vehicle should have condensation over windows every day at present ??

I drive a 61 plate Mercedes Axor truck at work & have never experienced condensation covering the windscreen. Never seen any of our trucks with condensation over windscreen when parked day or night. Except when someone is sleeping in it.

I had a serious problem on my 2006 model Cali about 3 years ago, i.e.excessive condensation on the inside of the windscreen and eventually a damp carpet in both footwells and a damp head lining around the A pillars.
The problem was traced to blocked drainage pipes taking water from the roof bulkhead (the caste aluminium panel housing the roof motor, in front of the elevating roof). Water shouldn't normally penetrate this area as the caste aluminium panel is supposed to be sealed, but drainage pipes are fitted just in case. These pipes run down the A pillars and vent any excess moisture within the engine bay, just behind the aircon pipes. If either end of these pipes becomes blocked by dirt/grease/sealant, any water accumulating inside the roof bulkhead cavity will build up and eventually find its way out (i.e. inside the vehicle) via cable holes located slightly above the bulkhead drainage holes.
If your problem is the same as mine, the first thing to check are the 2 drainage pipe outlets in the engine bay by gently prodding/unblocking the rubber ends. Once this is done about 1 or 2 litres of water should flow out and the condensation/dampness problem should resolve itself.
However, if (as in my case) the pipes are blocked by roof sealant within the bulkhead cavity (a fault at the point of manufacture), then the bulkhead panel has to be removed. This is what happened in my case and the problem was solved.
I hope this helps,
Regards,
Wojtek

Thanks for that info Wojtek. Very usefull post

Thank you so much for this Wojtek......guess what I'm checking tomorrow as I'm still having condensation problems during certain conditions :cry:

Chris

Hi Chris,
Just in case your problem is the same as mine (blocked drainage pipes within the roof bulkhead cavity) it will be an expensive repair, but I think your 180 Cali model is still under warranty.
If your Van Centre is unaware of this fault and how to deal with it, I suggest they contact Malcolm Gennings, Service Manager at Breeze Van Centre, Southampton for advice.
Regards,
Wojtek

Was routing around in the Cali boot today & found my day sack was damp. I had a 15l water can beside it & it was also damp.
Turns out the cap does not form a watertight seal !!! Not good on a water can.
Have emptied can but need to dry it properly. Hopefully this was the cause of my condensation, fingers crossed !!

Andy,
I've got a mains dehumidifier that you are welcome to borrow for a week or so if you like?
I can bring it to MK during the week.
Mark

Mark Good idea, thanks.
My father has one that I'll borrow tomorrow, should dry it out nicely !

Just been out to check & water can is now dry, boot was slightly damp which I've dried out.
Offending water can in house now, probably to be retired to recycling centre !!

Which of the types of windscreen insulation works best the internal one or the external one. About to buy owner the other but not sure how they compare.

New DSG 180 to be picked up tos week

Hi isa neal, there's no single answer to this, but if you do a search on the forum (top right hand corner) for 'silver screen' the results should take you to a couple of threads that compare the merits of the various options, in terms of condensation, convenience, security and privacy.

Penny I'm am going to look for some of that awning matting you showed me yesterday.
I thought that was a great idea thanks :thumb :thumb

We've just had our first overnighter and yes the front and side windows were condesation covered. All the other windows were clear. A couple of minutes and it was cleared though. Don't think it was a problem.

Calikev said:
Penny I'm am going to look for some of that awning matting you showed me yesterday.
I thought that was a great idea thanks :thumb :thumb

Hi Kev - Have done some 'research' and I believe the awning carpet we have is the Kampa Easy Tread Carpet in grey/blue.
Penney

Thanks penny I have found some from a caravan supplier online it's called Eco mat
I have ordered blue it is 8ft x6ft and ÂŁ25 inc postage. It is going to save so so much mess inside from dog and muddy
Feet. It looks like it will fold up small and store under the drivers seat. Thanks again :thumb :thumb

Update on the condensation problem.
My Cali has just spent a week with Listers of Coventry having warranty work done.
They found one of the ventilation flaps stuck open & say this will cause the condensation. So now have to wait & see what happens, fingers crossed !

Hi Andy,
I'm a bit confused (which isn't unusual these days) :!:
Regarding the ventilation flap being stuck open, I would have thought this would be an aid to combat condensation ....no ?

Just repeating what Listers told me.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Interesting... we have the front screen condensation issue too!

We've had our Cali since early November (from new), and the one things that's been bothering me is that the front screen is often covered in condensation (and we've only slept in it once so far). We've never had this problem with our old car (a VW Touran) and I do find the blower seems to take quite a long time to clear the wet front screen so I usually resort to a cloth. It's been slightly better in the warmer weather we've had lately, but I have wondered if this is normal. We've not had wet carpets or anything else in the van that could cause it...

From what everyone is saying, it should not happen - we're still under warranty of course - do you recommend we have this looked at?

Hi
My 2011 Cali was taking ages for the screen to clear
Someone suggested putting air con on high to screen AND putting it onto re-circulate. This has cleared the screen much quicker.
Jeannie

Apologies if this has been covered before but I thought I would share my experience of windscreen condensation. I recently noticed the front windscreen was soaking wet and took ages to clear/dry out. It seemed wetter on the passenger side. I was rather concerned that I had a leak but could find no evidence of one and all the other glass was clear. I tried some silica gel and this helped a little. I then noticed that the passenger vent was open. I closed that and there has been a massive improvement. I have no idea why! I thought fresh air would help.

Concensus on another forum recommends making sure your heater is set to floor not screen before you turn the engine off so that all windscreen vents are closed thus stopping cold air entering and hitting the screen causing condensation.

Concensus on another forum recommends making sure your heater is set to floor not screen before you turn the engine off so that all windscreen vents are closed thus stopping cold air entering and hitting the screen causing condensation.
This is why I love this forum :thumb. I wouldn't have thought of that.

Back