Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Condensation Inside Windscreen (not while camping)

ScreenShot2014-01-14at202649_zpsb065c196.png

The aux heating is your coolant heater, you can have it with or without a remote control. The Parking Heater is fitted standard to the Cali Se and optional on the Beach.

As I understand it the aux heater is standard on the Beach and full fat Cali although it appears to be an option in the list, so perhaps I don't have it on mine, that said, mine heats up quicker below 4 degrees - what you can do is specify a timer, then, as I understand it, you get the display above the mirror to control it, further from that you ask for remote operation.

It could be confusion for those buying a Beach 2nd hand because it may look like they have a Parking Heating but in fact, they'll just have a time for the aux heater.

Basically you can choose from a number of combinations.

I've only had the condensation on the inside of the screen a few times, so I don't know if it is a fault or the way I use the heating????????

James

Attachments

• ScreenShot2014-01-14at202649_zpsb065c196.png
    ScreenShot2014-01-14at202649_zpsb065c196.png
    56.7 KB · Views: 2
My screen got wet last night - I had run the cabin temp higher than normal (24 degrees) and then the temp dropped close to freezing during the night. Maybe by having the temp up I introduced more moist air into the van? I thought the aircon would have dried it but maybe not?

The aux heating is your coolant heater

Thank James, I think I understand now.

So, The Auxiliary Heating is in fact the Auxiliary Coolant Heater but it comes in three different flavours.

1. Plain vanilla
2. With timer
3. With timer and remote.

I will be interested to see if my beach comes with it as standard .... presumably, as others have said, you will hear it kick in at temperatures less than 1.5 degrees. Is there any other way of knowing? I got the impression that it was labelled on the door pillar if it was fitted.

Hopefully I'm not the only one to be confused by VW's brochure descriptions.

Bill

[album]1260[/album]

I ordered the Parking Heater with Timer and Remote from the 2013 option list, no mention of Auxiliary heater
Interestingly the Parking Heater with timer and the Parking Heater with timer and Auxiliary are the same price.................. who knows the secret of VW's brochure descriptions? Certainly not their dealers! :sad

Bill

surfbus said:
[album]1260[/album]

I ordered the Parking Heater with Timer and Remote from the 2013 option list, no mention of Auxiliary heater
Interestingly the Parking Heater with timer and the Parking Heater with timer and Auxiliary are the same price.................. who knows the secret of VW's brochure descriptions? Certainly not their dealers! :sad

Bill

That is how I understand it. I wonder if UK Beaches have the coolant aux heater as standard and this is a direct German translation.

I will look at my van to see if it has a sticker.

James

So it would appear I have the version with the remote.

I've never known this aux heater to run automatically - perhaps it has to be set up?

Is the intention to run this prior to most cold journeys?

That is how I understand it. I wonder if UK Beaches have the coolant aux heater as standard and this is a direct German translation.

Yes James, could be.

In the 2013 brochure they called it an Auxiliary Water Heater, probably a literal translation from something like "Warmwasserboiler für heißes Wasser" but not for use in coffee! ;)
Now it is more descriptively translated to Auxiliary Coolant Heater, which makes more sense, but doesn't really help the brochure reader unless the dealer can explain it's true functionality.

Bill.

surfbus said:

Yes James, could be.

In the 2013 brochure they called it an Auxiliary Water Heater, probably a literal translation from something like "Warmwasserboiler für heißes Wasser" but not for use in coffee! ;)
Now it is more descriptively translated to Auxiliary Coolant Heater, which makes more sense, but doesn't really help the brochure reader unless the dealer can explain it's true functionality.

Bill.

Outside of the UK my old Volvo C30 had something similar as an option and I believe Land Rover's have theses??????

I think there is a bit more in the German Brochure will have a look.

James

alexmorris said:

I've never known this aux heater to run automatically - perhaps it has to be set up?

The auxiliary coolant heater starts automatically at temp below 5 c & heats up engine coolant thereby helping the engine reach operating temp quickly.

This is the axillary coolant heater remote.

aux+heater+remote.jpg

This is the parking heater remote.

jDQV8Wp9ZeWjQ8bv-_q7JDMUFbnjMzxZJqIDl9AXkbA=w248-h139-no.jpg

These pics may help clarify which heater you have.

Attachments

• jDQV8Wp9ZeWjQ8bv-_q7JDMUFbnjMzxZJqIDl9AXkbA=w248-h139-no.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 2
  • aux+heater+remote.jpg
    aux+heater+remote.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 2
I had this on my touran it used to fill the cab with fumes.it was mounted under the front wheel arch.

Andy said:
alexmorris said:

The auxiliary coolant heater starts automatically at temp below 5 c & heats up engine coolant thereby helping the engine reach operating temp quickly.

This is the axillary coolant heater remote.

aux+heater+remote.jpg

This is the parking heater remote.

These pics may help clarify which heater you have.

I think it comes on or operates with the bong of below 4 degrees and ice warning. As I understand it it heats the heating circuit boards - as you said, helping the van come up to temp.

I thought it was standard on my Beach

But bearing in mind that the brochure options for it on the Beach didn't exist last year and they did in LHD markets then perhaps it was standard on UK Beaches and its not now - so welcome to standard EHU - goodbye to standard to Aux Coolant Heater :)

James

Attachments

• jDQV8Wp9ZeWjQ8bv-_q7JDMUFbnjMzxZJqIDl9AXkbA=w248-h139-no.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 0
  • aux+heater+remote.jpg
    aux+heater+remote.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 0
Not had much condensation recently, possibly due to not being so sunny.
Today I opened the roof up & noticed there was some condensation on underside of roof that could be contributing to the problem. Dried it all off.
Also checked the front roof drain holes ..... both appear to be blocked solid ! Another job to add to the growing warranty list.

Andy,

Where do I find the drain holes? are they obvious?

Steve.

Andy said:
Today I opened the roof up & noticed there was some condensation on underside of roof that could be contributing to the problem. Dried it all off.
Also checked the front roof drain holes ..... both appear to be blocked solid ! Another job to add to the growing warranty list.

I'm hoping that my condensation issue will be reduced now that my side windows aren't leaking…

I too noticed lots of moisture on the underside of the roof when opening it. Perhaps we need to get in the habit of opening the roof occasionally on a dry breezy winters day… ?

shambly said:
Andy said:

I'm hoping that my condensation issue will be reduced now that my side windows aren't leaking…

I too noticed lots of moisture on the underside of the roof when opening it. Perhaps we need to get in the habit of opening the roof occasionally on a dry breezy winters day… ?

Yes that was my thought too.

SteveM said:
Andy,

Where do I find the drain holes? are they obvious?

Steve.

No not obvious. Open roof up & stand on a step ladder so you can see the top of the cali. There is a plastic moulding (cover) at the front that butts up against the rear of the panel above the windscreen. Get a flat screwdriver & carefully lever the moulding up from the rear. Then under the cables at the front there is a small hole. This is the drain, it goes down the A pillar into the engine compartment.
There are also drains at the rear of the roof aperture which are much more accessible.

Shambly

That's what I done the weekend.....after the relentless rain we have had I took the first opportunity to raise the roof and have an inspection.Not surprisingly found a little dampness, although I expected to see more.Proceded to clear any obvious debri laying in the waterways,checked the drain holes.
While the roof was up I put the van on hook up and pluged in an electric fan for a couple of hours
Before tucking her up for the night :D

Andy,

Appreciate the details ... glad I asked! I will have a look this weekend. My car is always parked 'nose down' a hill so I wonder if this might also be an issue for me.

Steve.

James said:
surfbus said:
[album]1260[/album]

Bill

James

Hi

This pic is from our new Beach so the Aux Coolant is standard as I didn't order any Heater options...

Am looking into making it work with a remote or even timer IF it will talk to the Climate system and bring on the blowers...

Cheers

Shaun

20140201_132010.jpg

That's good news Shaun.

I actually spoke with my nearest Webasto authorised supplier in Bedford and he quoted over £1k just for the parts so I will be very happy if it comes as standard.

Look forward to hearing how you get on with the "remote" option.

Bill

Remote control retrofit is excellent. Great to get into the van with clear windows and hot air blowing out the vents from the off. :D

Yes - the webasto remote control does trigger the blowers in the van to come on once there's a bit of heat in the system - that's how it defrosts the windscreen.

Where do we look for this on our beaches? Interested to understand when this became std equipment....

Steve.

Have a look on the driver's door for the sticker.

If you want to see the heater unit it's under the van a bit forward of the front passenger seat. You can't see the heater unless you remove one of the plastic trays but you might be able to see the heater exhaust pointing down just off centre of the van.

bournemouthbeach said:
James said:
surfbus said:
[album]1260[/album]

Bill

James

Hi

This pic is from our new Beach so the Aux Coolant is standard as I didn't order any Heater options...

Am looking into making it work with a remote or even timer IF it will talk to the Climate system and bring on the blowers...

Cheers

Shaun

This is where I got my telestart kit from....

http://www.carsystems.pl/webasto-kit-parts,c6.html

There is one for std heater & one for climatronic.

This is the T91 manual

http://www.webasto.com/fileadmin/we...car-technical-documentation-telestart-t91.pdf

This is fitting instructions for climatronic

http://www.carsystems.home.pl/carsystems_manuals/T5_T91.pdf

The heater already interfaces with the CAN bus so you do not need to worry about that. Just mount the control box, connect earth & pos to spare fuse buss then feed white wire through floor & connect to pin 1 on heater electrics plug. Thats it.

Hi

Cheers

Shaun[/quote]

This is where I got my telestart kit from....

http://www.carsystems.pl/webasto-kit-parts,c6.html

There is one for std heater & one for climatronic.

This is the T91 manual

http://www.webasto.com/fileadmin/we...car-technical-documentation-telestart-t91.pdf

This is fitting instructions for climatronic

http://www.carsystems.home.pl/carsystems_manuals/T5_T91.pdf

The heater already interfaces with the CAN bus so you do not need to worry about that. Just mount the control box, connect earth & pos to spare fuse buss then feed white wire through floor & connect to pin 1 on heater electrics plug. Thats it.[/quote]

Cheers Andy

Thats excellent stuff will be next on the list... :bananadance

Thanks

Shaun

Back