Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Control panel knob not "clicking" properly

Big sincere thank you to the 'Club both for super "how to" pdf and very quick despatch of replacement control panel knob. Blossom's OE knob finally failed lowering the roof as we pulled camp in Cornwall a week ago. Replacement Club supplied knob waiting for us when we got home and I have fitted it today.

I have taken a sequence of photos as I did the repair to supplement those in the pdf if it would be helpful to the 'Club. Please let me know if you would like me to share them - and if yes how best to do so. Stephen :thanks

We had a failure too, eventually it wouldn't bite at all and I carefully opened the unit and just removed the offending 'loose knob', now super easy to operate with a fingertip - and a few mm more space in the cab!
I will have to replace or repair it prior to selling the van though. I didn't study what had caused the fault in detail, but I think making a spring wire ring to fit outside the plastic parts that have come loose should do the trick?

Had mine replaced under warranty when van was just over a year old. It was also only a split dial. Very frustrating! I'm expecting to have to replace it next year!

Just out of interest, anyone know how much an extended warranty costs?

Re: Control panel knob not "clicking" properly

Rozzie50 said:
Just out of interest, anyone know how much an extended warranty costs?

make sure you are sitting down when you find out, you are looking at between £1200-£1800 per year!

Nooooooooo :eek: Think I'd rather pay the £600 every few years!!!! That's so crazy. Just goes to show they know things will go wrong. Already had the whole roof bellows changed because the mechanism sliced through it, control panel replaced because of the knob splitting underneath plus on the waiting list for getting my roof changed. He's only 2 years old. You'd think for such an expensive vehicle, VW would get the small things sorted! :cry:

The knob is iper extra sensitive. It is extremely inconvenient and not reliable. To set the roof to go up or down, it can take several minutes having to go forward/backwards several times. It is extremely annoying.. :x
Please let me know if anyone else has a similar problem.

Back