Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cooking near miss in my Cali

Taf Powell

Taf Powell

Wandering Dood
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I have had use of a new Cali for 2 years and have just bought my own 2019 van and on its first outing melted the bowl and the vinyl bumpers underneath the glass sink lid. My daughter was using - on the right hand burner - a bread toasting device which is a round plate and 4 wire supports standing above for the bread. The plate sits over the burner. She insists there were no tell-tale signs of overheating eg smell of plastic and indeed I did not discover the damage until next day. The toaster is well used and this has not previously occurred. Two questions: any constructive observations? Is there a heat shield available to stand around the hob to protect the sink area ( and possibly the fridge?)
This is my first post. Thanks
Taf
91A9339E-86B4-456E-9F3D-059C81B4A6F6.jpeg

There's no need to have a heat protecting shield for the fridge or kitchen sink .
Noting will melt down if you take away that plasic insert bowl , it is a not standard VW California item but aftermarket , so it schould not be there while cooking .
Using to large pots/pans is also a warning , think the manual states a max diameter pans .
I have this bowl to ;) no yet melted it ....
Many have melted it , no worry's .

Note : i (and many others) do carry a smal fire extinguisher and a fire blanket within' hands reach of the rear/camping part of the Cali.

To be safe I now use the left burner if possible. I imagine it was the spread of the flame, over perhaps too large a toaster. Perhaps if it wasn't central over the flame this is why it happened this time if it's been OK before. If you read the manual there is a maximum diameter of pan recommended.

I have had use of a new Cali for 2 years and have just bought my own 2019 van

Interesting has been spoken about before but not melted to that extent, As you have a 2019 van I guess you have the split glass worktop. Someone posted about breaking the glass with a burner and now your post - so while we all seemed to think the split glass was a really great update perhaps more care is needed with the updated glass.

At least it will only cost you the bowl and not the glass!

To be safe I now use the left burner if possible. I imagine it was the spread of the flame, over perhaps too large a toaster. Perhaps if it wasn't central over the flame this is why it happened this time if it's been OK before. If you read the manual there is a maximum diameter of pan recommended.
Thanks. Sensible advice for all of us. The ‘offset’ suggestion resonates. Brgds.

There's no need to have a heat protecting shield for the fridge or kitchen sink .
Noting will melt down if you take away that plasic insert bowl , it is a not standard VW California item but aftermarket , so it schould not be there while cooking .
Using to large pots/pans is also a warning , think the manual states a max diameter pans .
I have this bowl to ;) no yet melted it ....
Many have melted it , no worry's .

Note : i (and many others) do carry a smal fire extinguisher and a fire blanket within' hands reach of the rear/camping part of the Cali.

Thank you. Had ordered the blanket and powder xtgr after I first posted. Good to have your endorsement! Brgds

Don't throw the bowl away.
Trim it off a bit and it'll be okay, Ive got a mildly
melted one, i like it, its a good reminder.:headbang

Wish I had thought of that’s before forking out twenty quid for a new one. Gaagh!
(Brgds)

Anyone know the max diameter before I get my manual out?

Throw the bowl away.
The sink is stainless steel.

I must say the quality and original thinking on this site is quite a treat. I'll need to keep on my toes! :thumb

Thanks for sharing that with us Taf, a good lesson for all to learn from and ponder. Happy travels!

It is a standard item supplied with the Cali, and I find it really useful, but I always remove it when using the RH burner.

It is a standard item supplied with the Cali, and I find it really useful, but I always remove it when using the RH burner.

@Pineweasel , you are 100% correct ....i was always under the impression my T5 came without the plastic insert and i got it aftermarket.
Seems it's standaard on the T6 configurator....
My mistake .
Anyway , it's best to take it out when the burner next to it is used....

I checked the manual - no comment on the max diameter of the pan. It's a bit vague about weather you're meant to lift the right hand split top covering the sink. It doesn't seem to have been updated. Surely the purpose of the split lid is that it can be left down?

I checked the manual - no comment on the max diameter of the pan. It's a bit vague about weather you're meant to lift the right hand split top covering the sink. It doesn't seem to have been updated. Surely the purpose of the split lid is that it can be left down?

@MattBell , i might have been wrong on the bowl beeing a standard item but the California suplement manual do state that pots/pans with 16-20cm diameter should be used '

It came with that suplement manual on my 2012 T5 here in Belgium written in Dutch and French
IMG_0291.JPG
IMG_0292.JPG

Thanks for sharing - I would never have though that could happen but it make sense. Is there a toaster to fit a Cali burner ring - I miss my toast in the morning ....

That bowl can now be a modern art installation in a museum
It's still perfectly usable! I learned the hard way too but mine is less modified! :D

Thanks for sharing - I would never have though that could happen but it make sense. Is there a toaster to fit a Cali burner ring - I miss my toast in the morning ....
I've bought a Delta toaster, does both sides of a single slice at a time, very good, quick results, a bit messy with crumbs and it's expensive... If on hook-up, I'd recommend a 'normal' toaster...

Back