Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Coronavirus Impact

Several studies have shown that infected people reach the highest contagious level before showing symptoms, usually several days before. That's why this is so hard to control, and the contagion is spreading so much faster than SARS, where people didn't become contagious until they had symptoms.
That may be the case and I suspect alot of people may have gone into work with it (either knowingly or not) due to worries of earning money to pay the Bills or for fear of losing their job, which is why they should be supported to stop them taking any risks potentially contaminating other people. If you are infected your a not likely to die after all, unless you have health issues or are already in the vulnerable group. People who are at risk should be kept safe and away from potential harm. Full lockdown would only cause more panic and people would still have to move about even if it is restricted to health care workers and emergency services, who could of course still be infected and spread the virus. Thankfully Carona is not an airborne virus otherwise things would be way worse. Someone would still need to breath in an infected person's cough, sneeze or from touching an infected surface and touching their face, mouth etc. If people were more hygiene aware then this would help prevent the spread and is what stopped SARS in the end (according to the WHO).

Reactions: JDB
Curios coincidence, the study on high infection rates before showing symptoms was done on Webasto employees, where a breakout occurred.

All nine patients are employees of Webasto, an auto supplier in Stockdorf. They caught the virus from a male coworker, who became known as Patient 1. He originally got the virus from a business colleague from Shanghai who came to Germany in January for a series of meetings (SN: 1/31/20). Both Patient 1 and his Shanghai colleague transmitted the virus before developing symptoms, the first documented cases of asymptomatic spread.
Interesting read.
So out of the nine people infected, one person had pneumonia (not good, but survivable in most cases), two had a fever, one had no symptoms at all and the rest had mild coughs.
Not quite as bad as people are being led to believe then (unless you are in the vulnerable group that is).
More people die from the flu each year or by crashes while driving a vehicle.
I think I will take extra steps to keep things clean and just Keep calm and carry on!

Its quiet for the time of year, I work in and around the lakes and Cumbria and have noticed traffic seems to be reduced.

We are due to go to Scotland for 10 days at the end of the week which has been planned since last year and will make a decision on Thursday. We are planning a mix of wild and site camping with no real plan except heading for the NC 500.
If the roads and campsites are not shut then I would still go. Good luck. I've done the nc500 and would love to hear how you get on. It may be quiet for you

We'll all be in Scotland before long!
Covid-19, we have it up here as well! Plus of course, the same stupid pillaging of supermarkets. My son and his family were staying last night in a Glencoe hotel and couldn’t find disposable nappies for their baby son, as the local shop shelves had been emptied. I suspect travelling around the more remote areas of Scotland in due course is not going to be an easy alternative!

All the more reason for people to be properly supported to be able to strictly self isolate if they have the symptoms.
You can't imagine how healthy the spreaders can be. Some won't have the tiniest sign of any virus and spread it easily. We have many recent cases here when people didn't even see others with symptoms nearby and didn't spend much time in the crowds but got infected.

Plus of course, the same stupid pillaging of supermarkets.
Exactly! a dumb idea to stock the food for months during the pandemic. Just go shopping every other day, spend more time in the crowds.
The only reason I consider those people stupid that they are stocking only now at the last moment.

So the PMs news briefing states ”no non essential travel” so I guess that’s holidays scuppered for the while if one chooses to comply.

So the PMs news briefing states ”no non essential travel” so I guess that’s holidays scuppered for the while if one chooses to comply.

Isn’t travelling with your family in a camper van to a remote part of the Scottish coast for a two week period of quarantine essential travel?

Its easy to be selfish.
But I think we all need to pull together and cooperate on this one and look at the bigger picture.

With any luck we can save thousands of lives.
If we can get through this, maybe then we can go on holiday.
But remember it’s just a holiday...

Just to put some perspective on this.
In the uk 6,507 people committed suicide in 2018 (Samaritans charity),
1,784 road deaths in 2018 (brake charity) and around 165,000 cancer deaths every year in the uk (cancer research uk). 55 deaths (so far, terrible as it is) out of a uk population of 67,530,172 (2019) and just over 6,500 globally.
Not saying it's not bad by any means, it's terrible, but it helps to look at the facts and the world around us before panicking.

Just to put some perspective on this.
In the uk 6,507 people committed suicide in 2018 (Samaritans charity),
1,784 road deaths in 2018 (brake charity) and around 165,000 cancer deaths every year in the uk (cancer research uk). 55 deaths (so far, terrible as it is) out of a uk population of 67,530,172 (2019) and just over 6,500 globally.
Not saying it's not bad by any means, it's terrible, but it helps to look at the facts and the world around us before panicking.
The reason we've moved from a light-touch social distancing to near lock-down is the figures from Italy.

66,000,000 population x 80% infection = 52,800,000 infections.
(80% is a worst case scenario required for herd immunity)

52,800,000 infections x 6.5% hospitalisations = 3,432,000 hospitalisations (1 in 20 people)
(6.5% is the proportion if infected people who need hospital treatment in Italy)

52,800,000 infections x 0.8% mortality = 422,400 deaths.
(0.8% is an estimate of mortality of those infected).

The trouble is that without herd immunity we no longer have an exit strategy from this virus. This will be going on for well over a year.

Last edited:
Italy so far has had 27,980 cases, of which 2,158 are deaths.
I agree we need to take action to stop it getting out of hand until a vaccine may be available or the peak is reached and people have built up immunity.
There does seem to be a lot of scaremongering going on in the press as always.

I did save this jewel however:

View attachment 56270
Unlike others we have not Declared a State of Emergency, nor do we have or will have armed police patrolling the streets or using drones or issuing massive fines .
Fortunately we don't have to be threatened to follow Official announcements and sensible precautions.

Oh and don't worry ALL the clap trap you and your colleague posted is all saved for the appropriate moment if the Norway thread has been pulled.

Interesting read.
So out of the nine people infected, one person had pneumonia (not good, but survivable in most cases), two had a fever, one had no symptoms at all and the rest had mild coughs.
Not quite as bad as people are being led to believe then (unless you are in the vulnerable group that is).
All of them infected other people without knowing it, including family members. This caused a health alert, which was eventually traced back to Webasto, but by that time they had caused a major outbreak in the region. My opinion is that the people who died as a result of this outbreak would have preferred that the population had stayed at home, even though their government had not asked them to. Germany is now on lockdown.

Last edited:
I suppose anyone installing Webasto equipment might want to do a chlorine chicken pre-prep.

Back