Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Coronavirus Impact

If they are so concerned about people dying why don't they make smoking illegal? Load of bollox if you ask me

Wow still in the denial phase... :headbang

It was this sort of mentality that spread the AIDS virus.
Sooner or later you need to wake up, see what’s going on around you and stop shagging monkies...

Just to put some perspective on this.
In the uk 6,507 people committed suicide in 2018 (Samaritans charity),
1,784 road deaths in 2018 (brake charity) and around 165,000 cancer deaths every year in the uk (cancer research uk). 55 deaths (so far, terrible as it is) out of a uk population of 67,530,172 (2019) and just over 6,500 globally.
Not saying it's not bad by any means, it's terrible, but it helps to look at the facts and the world around us before panicking.
You're perfectly right but I suppose you could say the first two could possibly be avoided but cancer is sadly a lottery. If we listen to what we are being told and not being headless chickens then we stand a chance of beating this virus but that sadly isn't ever going to happen.

I'm going to be staying home, and taking Government advice. We're about 12 days behind Italy if the calculations online are correct. Gutted that this is our first spring with our camper van, after six years of dreaming, but I'd rather stay safe. We have friends in Italy and it's truly frightening what's happening there. Stay safe everyone!

Mods are busy closing down these threads so let’s keep this thread polite guys as I for one like the perspective and information from our well scattered and diverse community.
No problem with disagreeing or having other opinions but once given there is no need to keep banging on about them which has been at the root of the problem.

The markets have certainly been hit. Looks like I'll be working past retirement if my small investment is anything to go by........was worth just under £43k on 22nd Feb; now down by £8.5k to nearly what it was in 2016 when it went in! With hindsight would have been good idea to dump it back into bank account till all over; although tiniest of % interest it wouldn't have dropped so massively! Arghhhhhh

I have a mate who thinks the world is flat and that paul mccartney is
not the real one.
Its always interesting hearing his perspective on stuff :D :D
I think it’s just his hair that’s not the original!

I would say Easter will be to late.
They need to get a grip of this situation and fast. I would say a complete shut down within a week.

It’s time to stay at home folks and look at the bigger picture...!!!
If you see what’s happening in Italy and France, this thing is getting a bit worrying.
Empty streets in Paris and Rome, no cars on the motorway...
Did you see the video of Venice?

I'm not too sure I like the idea of culling by social irresponsibility.

The story of that bloke in Manchester, 88 and with underlying health issues but the source of infection traced to someone who chose to ignore advice to self-isolate.

Yes, ripe for the cull, but he and his family still had the right to expect the rest of his life to run it's course and not to be cut short by someone with an "I'm all right Jack" attitude.

Here's the choices as I see it. Keep calm and carry on. Or panic and buy loads of bread and toilet rolls. I'm doing the 1st option. There you go dude.
The last suggestion is mutually exclusive.

Hi there

I haven’t done any research as yet but are campsite closed due to the current situation?

I wondered about going off in the van for a couple of days and keeping ourselves to ourselves but staying at some sites. Guessing this is not allowed at present?

Thanks for any info x

Hi there

I haven’t done any research as yet but are campsite closed due to the current situation?

I wondered about going off in the van for a couple of days and keeping ourselves to ourselves but staying at some sites. Guessing this is not allowed at present?

Thanks for any info x
The way I see if your not self isolating or in a vulnerable group then yes you can go. The question of wether it’s safe or not is if you keep to your own area don’t use the shared washing facilities and have no contact with anyone else.

It appears VW are suspending production of commercial vehicles from Thursday in Germany and Poland due to covid19.

It appears VW are suspending production of commercial vehicles from Thursday in Germany and Poland due to covid19.
That’s hard for the people who have a Cali on order or in build I feel for them

As hard as having one and not allowed to isolate you in it, away from potential infectors.
But I understand it's no joy to be looking out for your new van and not being able to get your hands on it.

I hope this all ends very soon. Was planning to go on the first big trip this year from Ascension Day and the next 2 weeks. Not likely this will be happening.
I guess we all have to wait and see.

And the most important thing now is to stay healthy. No single California will ever replace your or one of your relative's health.

I am suspended from my job too as from tomorrow. I hope I can stay healthy now for the first 4 weeks coming. From that time further, I know I am at low risk of having the virus.

Hopefully we all stay healthy so we can keep meeting each other here for a long time more.

Was planning to go on the first big trip this year from Ascension Day and the next 2 weeks. Not likely this will be happening.
See post #4
Buy yourself a load of paint and a few boxes of Duvels, stay at home
and knock yourself out. :thumb

The main issue in campsites is to have confidence that the facilities are cleaned properly as these shared areas have potential to harbour and transmit Covid.

this statement from the British Mountaineering Council has some relevant points although for a different purpose

However I would stay at home

the less transmission the better

Back