Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cost of a Awning Option

John

John

VIP Member
Original post Hubert

Thinking of changing my 2009 California 174 for a new 180.

Looking at the options, I am totally puzzled by the diference in price for awnings - Silver £525 , Black £385 - must be real silver in the paint pigment to justify £140 extra.

Current van is reflex silver, like it as it doesn't show the dirt, considering sand beige as a change but it will have a black awning as I can't justify the extra cost. Will it be too much of a contrast ?

I notice that new vans also now come with black awning rails.
Hubert

Read more: http://vwcalifornia.proboards.com/index ... z1fraBJ0Ua

Original post brother10

Hubert,

Exactly the same problem I was faced with. I was informed by my dealer of a Sand Beige on order that would be ready November. When the spec for the vehicle arrived, it had a black awning, which I queried. The dealer replied that there was an option box for vehicles they ordered but they had never actually used it, assuming vehicles arrived with the appropriate awning colour. When I said that I wouldn`t be remotely interested in the vehicle if it had the black awning, they swung in to action. After a series of calls, they then told me that I could have the sliver awning and I duly ordered. No mention was made with regard to cost and my assumption was they were all the same price. Since your posting, I checked my order and notice that the cost of the silver is shown as £525. I would have still ordered even if I had known the price - I just didn`t want the black on that colour vehicle. Really, for the price we pay, the awning is a very pricey (but nececessary) extra. Wouldn`t be sure of this but wonder if having a Omnistor awning retro fitted would be cheaper. Think in your case, that you need to bite the bullet and don`t feel disappointed with your new van for the sake of £140. I am very sympathetic to your dilemma. VW do know how to hit us in the pocket at every turn - the price of individuality.

Bob

Original post mickyblue

I wish I had spotted this on the acc price list b4 we ordered.

We will have a 50k silver cali with a black carbuncle on the side

Original swigle

Sorry if being a bit dim here, have to admit that when I ordered my Cali a few weeks ago I assumed the silver v black was referring to the colour of the awning itself and that the actual housing/casing would be colour coded to the colour of my Cali (candy White) ... This discussion is now making me doubt my assumption

Original post linda

We deliberately ordered a black awning- think it blends in well with tinted windows

Original post Hubert

Apologies if I have caused people concern over their vans on order.

Has anybody had a recent delivery with a silver awning fitted ? just wondered whether the awning rails on either side of the van are also silver.

All vans at the dealers had black rails and awnings, so they are unsure. Will try to get some response from VW.

Original post mickyblue

Maybe it will look ok as we have the privacy glass on it as well, so maybe the contrast will work. If not I may have to look at vinyl wrapping it or doing a swop.

I just wish the salesman had pointed the option out, or I had spotted it sooner

Original post brother10

After my earlier posting and others that followed, got into a minor spin that my ordered silver awning (on Sand Beige) might arrive mounted on black awning rails. Spoke immediately to my dealer VWVC Liverpool and hey presto my van had just arrived. Bruce nipped out and took a series of photos and called me back also. Van looks beautiful, SILVER awning on SILVER awning rails.

PLEASE NOTE NEW BUYERS. SILVER AWNINGS ARE A COST OPTION AND HAVE TO BE SPECIFIED !!!!!!

For those that have made a recent order, my suggestion would be to contact your dealer immediately and see about amending your order (if affected by this change). If you weren`t informed at the time of order get on their case.

Don`t know how to put photos on here but if you would like a zipped folder (4 pics) let me know.

Bob

Original post brother10

My van in PDI trim with silver awning.

054.jpg

Original post Hubert

Great looking van Bob, thanks for posting picture, certainly puts my mind at ease for a future order.

Re my second earlier post, I too was concerned that even if I ordered a silver awning it may arrive fitted to black rails/channels, I have seen this on some vans ie silver awning black rails.

VW contacted me this afternoon to tell me that the colour of the rails either silver or black had to be specified for the build sheet. Your photo confirms this.

Hubert

Original post andy

Nice van Bob, another Sand Beige like mine with silver awning & rails. Bet you can't wait to get your hands on it !!

Back