Could I have a non techy answer please?

Borris

Borris

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Dear Cali Chums,
I've just heard that VW will start making our new Beach in mid September. So now I've started to look at our essential dealer and after market add ons. Being our second Beach, we know exactly what we need to buy with the exception of one item, a tracker.

Our previous two Calis both had dealer fitted Vodaphone Cobra Track Plus trackers that were both around the £500 mark to have installed with an annual subscription of £143 on top. Fortunately, I never had cause to use the tracker on either vehicles, so I have no way of saying if they were wise investments. So now I'm considering if I should get a tracker fitted to the new van and if so what type and model.

Now here's the problem. I have read the previous posts on trackers but being "a bear of very little brain" they have only left me with a thousand yard stare. Actually, any thing techy and involving electrical wizzardry has always caused the same reaction. Leaving aside the question about whether they are worth it, I would appreciate some un-techy advice on which tracker I should be buying. Obviously I'd like it to be effective and as difficult as possible for the hoody wearing brigade to disable or bypass. Cost isn't really my main concern, instead getting a good system is the goal. Having said that if that can be achieved more cheaply then whoopee.

Any simple and straight forward suggestions would be much appreciated.

Yours,
Confused from Kent.

Last edited:
Thanks Loz, I'll look that up straight away.

Personally, I would spend my money on an Autowatch Ghost and not have it taken in the first place and not have the need to track it.
Prevention is better than cure. I fully agree. The downside is that a significant amount of damage could be done by someone trying to take it.

With a tracker the hope is that a semi-competent crook with remove it intact and so it can be recovered intact.

Personally, I would spend my money on an Autowatch Ghost and not have it taken in the first place and not have the need to track it.
I've just had a look and am completely sold. The basic £399 fitted job will do just fine. The second more expensive version involves using certain buttons on your dash to input a pin number that can be up to twenty numerals long. Since we both have trouble remembering pin numbers, that option would probably prove more of a barrier to us than any thieves!

Thanks for your valuable advice. I never thought it would be that easy! It has answered both the big Tracker questions in one. All I need now is the van and I'll give them a call.

Prevention is better than cure. I fully agree. The downside is that a significant amount of damage could be done by someone trying to take it.

With a tracker the hope is that a semi-competent crook with remove it intact and so it can be recovered intact.
I agree. However I'm not sure that I'd want it back if it had been stolen and damaged. Preventing theives from damaging it whilst attempting to steal it is a different matter. There's no sure fire effective way of preventing that. At least I'd have the satisfaction of knowing that they had failed.

I agree. However I'm not sure that I'd want it back if it had been stolen and damaged. Preventing theives from damaging it whilst attempting to steal it is a different matter. There's no sure fire effective way of preventing that. At least I'd have the satisfaction of knowing that they had failed.
So if you wouldn’t want it back why fit a tracker?
The only party winning by you fitting a tracker is the insurance company.

Does your insurer specify whether a tracker must be fitted, based on the high value of the vehicle?

Does your insurer specify whether a tracker must be fitted, based on the high value of the vehicle?
They didn't seem that bothered either way when I insured said previous vans. They may take a different view now though. I'll havd a chat will them before I take out insurance on the new van.

So if you wouldn’t want it back why fit a tracker?
The only party winning by you fitting a tracker is the insurance company.
Fair point, although I didn't say I wouldn't want it back, I merely said "I'm not sure that I'd want it back". Since I've never had a Cali stolen I'm not sure what my feelings would be in that event. If it was stripped and trashed then obviously not. But if taken and parked up somewhere undamaged, then that would probably be a different matter. Therefore, whether to have a tracker fitted or not has alwags been a bit of a dilemma for me. In the end and given the value of both of our previous Calis, I just went ahead had one fitted anyway. Auto Watch Ghost seems to be a much better solution and just what I am looking for.

Visual deterrents are always good ie steering locks (as well as an immobiliser) in my opinion. There are some really good pedal locks out now I saw them advertised at a show recently.
Hopefully keep the North Face Ninjas at bay

Knocking on wood, I have not had a tracker needed. And as the van gets older, the less it would be needed.
I even rarely use my steering wheel lock. That I will only use when I think it might be worth it.
I hope I don't wake up any bad boys now...

Visual deterrents are always good ie steering locks (as well as an immobiliser) in my opinion. There are some really good pedal locks out now I saw them advertised at a show recently.
Hopefully keep the North Face Ninjas at bay
Thanks Volkywagen,
I already have a Stop Lock Pro for the steering wheel. I will look into getting a pedal lock as well.

Thanks Volkywagen,
I already have a Stop Lock Pro for the steering wheel. I will look into getting a pedal lock as well.
Yes they are about £50. Sorry Borris but the make of them has slipped my mind.

It amazes me what theives take these days anyway. If they can’t take the car they strip them in situ.....

CF0CFD24-45BF-44B5-A7BA-9D2846B9CB7C.jpeg

Thanks Volkywagen,

I always say this-
Just swivel the driver’s seat. A great visual deterrent and if the van is deadlocked an incredibly difficult obstacle to overcome.

If I were criminally minded I rather look for another California to pinch than try to resolve that conundrum.

Having had a company car stolen and recovered 3 times I had wouldn’t want it back.

Having been on the receiving end of a baseball bat whilst still in bed from someone asking for the keys for my car I wouldn’t actually be stopping them taking it.
I have also been shot at in Belfast by someone trying to relieve me of my car .

So for me, no additional theft detergent and keys by the front door. If they do take it you don’t want it back. If they want it they can have it and the sooner there Is some distance between me and them the better.

All the above whilst living in a “posh” area not where we are now.

If you’ve ever been held up at gun point your attitude tends to change !!!

If you swivel the seat, remember to pull the handbrake on. That will fox them and even cali owners.

Also armrests up, seat reclined and pushed back.

De-reclining the seat with the doors deadlocked would be a hell of a challenge alone.

Having had a company car stolen and recovered 3 times I had wouldn’t want it back.

Having been on the receiving end of a baseball bat whilst still in bed from someone asking for the keys for my car I wouldn’t actually be stopping them taking it.
I have also been shot at in Belfast by someone trying to relieve me of my car .

So for me, no additional theft detergent and keys by the front door. If they do take it you don’t want it back. If they want it they can have it and the sooner there Is some distance between me and them the better.

All the above whilst living in a “posh” area not where we are now.

If you’ve ever been held up at gun point your attitude tends to change !!!
Given your experiences I'd probably have the same views.

Given your experiences I'd probably have the same views.
Father in law is South African and drives a porsche 928 that he had from new that he exported back there, he has a specially made mount on the dash board to hold a sawn off shotgun & he’s prepared to use it. His father was murdered on the farm - 4 hour drive through the nearest made up road.. it’s like the Wild West.
Also keeps an AK47 ready for use by the front door. Puts the problem of of having your Cali pinched into perspective!

All that locks do is keep honest men honest!

The scumbags will destroy your van trying to get the lock off or the seat into a position where it can be driven. They don’t give a monkeys as it will be broken for parts anyway.

I think the answer is a good canbus immobiliser to stop it being taken in the first place. Plus. there are some very inexpensive trackers around and for the sake of a few quid a month, you might find your van parked up locally and relatively undamaged in the unlikely event that it’s taken: Apparently it’s common to leave stolen vehicles parked up for a while to see if they are tracked.

This £60 one is very good and has a 4 day backup battery if the power is cut. It’s £5 a month which they confusingly call a top up. You can set up geofencing and some interesting alerts on the www control panel or app.

All that locks do is keep honest men honest!

The scumbags will destroy your van trying to get the lock off or the seat into a position where it can be driven. They don’t give a monkeys as it will be broken for parts anyway.

I think the answer is a good canbus immobiliser to stop it being taken in the first place. Plus. there are some very inexpensive trackers around and for the sake of a few quid a month, you might find your van parked up locally and relatively undamaged in the unlikely event that it’s taken: Apparently it’s common to leave stolen vehicles parked up for a while to see if they are tracked.

This £60 one is very good and has a 4 day backup battery if the power is cut. It’s £5 a month which they confusingly call a top up. You can set up geofencing and some interesting alerts on the www control panel or app.

I would prefer the sawn off shotgun option but sadly this upgrade is only available to criminals.

Father in law is South African and drives a porsche 928 that he had from new that he exported back there, he has a specially made mount on the dash board to hold a sawn off shotgun & he’s prepared to use it. His father was murdered on the farm - 4 hour drive through the nearest made up road.. it’s like the Wild West.
Also keeps an AK47 ready for use by the front door. Puts the problem of of having your Cali pinched into perspective!
How awful. It's a whole different way of life out there!

If my family's lifes were being threatened, I too would resort to using extreme measures to protect them. However that wouldn't extend to property. Everything we have is insured and whilst being extremely annoying, if our van was taken it could always be replaced, albeit at some considerable extra expense to me. However, I'm not going to make it easy for them.

Reading with interest when I asked for a quote last week Camping and Caravan club would not quote me for insurance as no tracker fitting. On our 1st year of cover with a Cali, this was not an issue with CCC. Others may follow as prices increase of new vans.

Reading with interest when I asked for a quote last week Camping and Caravan club would not quote me for insurance as no tracker fitting. On our 1st year of cover with a Cali, this was not an issue with CCC. Others may follow as prices increase of new vans.
That was also my experience with the C and C Club. They weren't concerned when I insured both previous new Calis and never mentioned it at subsequent renewals.

Back