Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

CrossClimate plus

Similar to @B J G, I’m using directional CrossClimate+ 235/55 R17 103 on my 17 wheels then a non-directional Vredestein Quatrac 5 235/55R17 103V as the spare

But could be very good value if this is true - "Excellent lifespan: 4 tyres saved on average every 100,000km/62,000 miles "
That load rating is not apt for a California. It’s possible that this tire is only an option for those of us who use 16s.

So for 17” wheels (the most popular) and in the UK (where the majority of forum members are), the Aglilis is too tall (60 not 55 aspect ratio) and too ‘hard’ (117/115 vs 103) and ‘very expensive ‘. Is there anything else to recommend it? ;)

So for 17” wheels (the most popular) and in the UK (where the majority of forum members are), the Aglilis is too tall (60 not 55 aspect ratio) and too ‘hard’ (117/115 vs 103) and ‘very expensive ‘. Is there anything else to recommend it? ;)
I think there was a surprising poll here on the forum not too long ago that showed more Beach members than Ocean/SE members. That would make 16s the most common size, and now the Coasts with 16s have to be taken into account.

I think there was a surprising poll here on the forum not too long ago that showed more Beach members than Ocean/SE members. That would make 16s the most common size, and now the Coasts with 16s have to be taken into account.
Yep, it was my poll, and it showed 56% Ocean to 44% Beach. Given the numbers of Beaches also running 17s, I suspect 17”s are (today) by far the most popular wheel in the UK.

Just checked the poll again: 44% Beach, 56% Ocean, limited to T6 only, in the UK only. There are advantages to the 16s that many owners are aware of: more tread contact with the road at similar air pressure (on 17s the footprint is wider but shorter, with a net loss of contact surface), more absorption of road shocks to the sidewall on bad road surfaces, better gas milage (the 17s run on lower air pressure to recover footprint contact, which increases friction and heat). I was thinking of changing to 17s, but based on this info decided to keep the 16s, which have the advantage of being less expensive and a wider range of models. Of course those who have factory 17s because of having larger factory brake rotors can't fit 16s, but it's more about the brake setup than tire response. Changing factory 16s to 17s seems in many cases to be more about style than function. Everybody has their own priorities and requirements based on usage and preference, but there are a lot more owners running 16s than is sometimes realized.

Last edited:
for 17", use 215/60/17 109T, it is the new size by default for T6.1(and of course one of the size homologated by VW for T5/T6), and available for Agilis CrossClimate.

60 would be OK as it would actually take up the under speed indication normally found. Mine's 3mph at 70mph on 235 55 17.

That load rating is not apt for a California. It’s possible that this tire is only an option for those of us who use 16s.
You can go up in load rating with no issue and as Cali's run at or close to max weight it would give a load safety margin.

Back