Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cruise control confusion

Bearreds

Bearreds

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi , my Cali gains speed while going downhill set in cruise control.
I am guessing this isn’t normal as I’ve had other vehicles that hold the speed I set at .
Any advice would be much appreciated
Cheers

If i'm correct the brakes are only applied automatically with ACC (auto cruise control)
Standard cruise control (CC) doesn't brake for you
Which do you have - ACC or CC?

It is normal, the regular cruise does not apply the brakes, it can only use engine braking. ACC is different however.

Do check in the MFD settings that you don't have 'coasting' selected in the menu. This turns off engine braking which apparently improves fuel consumption but you have to slow the vehicle with the brakes. That can make quite a difference in a 3 tonne van going downhill.

Do check in the MFD settings that you don't have 'coasting' selected in the menu. This turns off engine braking which apparently improves fuel consumption but you have to slow the vehicle with the brakes. That can make quite a difference in a 3 tonne van going downhill.
The Coast function is Disabled when Cruise Control is Enabled. Not sure what happens with ACC.

When driving with ACC it needs to be paused or turned off to allow coasting. Pausing is different from turning off as it doesn’t reset the preset maximum speed.
Why? I would have thought as ACC can use the brakes Coast would be a function it could use very effectively?

Why? I would have thought as ACC can use the brakes Coast would be a function it could use very effectively?
Yes, I too think that the coast function and ACC should work seamlessly.

I usually set ACC to a maximum of 58 mph, or 93 kph if using those units to drive just marginally faster than most HGVs.

Coming to a downhill section I’ll pause the ACC, tap the accelerator pedal if required to engage coast, and let my van gain speed, braking if required.

If I leave ACC on it maintains constant speed by braking but gear (usually 7) remains engaged.

I usually set ACC to a maximum of 58 mph, or 93 kph if using those units to drive just marginally faster than most HGVs.

Coming to a downhill section I’ll pause the ACC, tap the accelerator pedal if required to engage coast, and let my van gain speed, braking if required.

If I leave ACC on it maintains constant speed by braking but gear (usually 7) remains engaged.
Ah, I see. Coast is disabled when ACC is active just the same as Cruise Control. My mistake. I thought you said you had to do something via the MFD.
On normal Cruise you can just, as you say Pause Cruise and Coast comes On and then Reset Cruise and you are back to your preset speed.:thumb

Going down hill on the A55 on ACC (70mph average speed camera area) ACC knocked out down a cog or two to keep it from running away and not overdoing the braking.

It is normal, the regular cruise does not apply the brakes, it can only use engine braking. ACC is different however.
Come again?

Why did my California not come with engine brake? I think I missed that option on the list (not in the least part because is was a stock vehicle).
All jokes aside, any downhill steeper than 4 or 5% and the engine won't hold the 3000 kg pushing.
I think modern cars do even brake (or at least slow down more) with normal CC, but I am not sure about what I am typing right now. ACC definitely does, but I guess only with automatic gearboxes.

Someone to disprove my statement?

We have a speed limiter on out Mini Cooper and even that goes over the set limit when going downhill...
Surprisingly my Wife's Citroen C3 changes down the gears to hold the set cruise speed going downhill. Quite a surprise the first time it did it. Just standard cruise no auto function.

Come again?

Why did my California not come with engine brake? I think I missed that option on the list (not in the least part because is was a stock vehicle).
All jokes aside, any downhill steeper than 4 or 5% and the engine won't hold the 3000 kg pushing.
I think modern cars do even brake (or at least slow down more) with normal CC, but I am not sure about what I am typing right now. ACC definitely does, but I guess only with automatic gearboxes.

Someone to disprove my statement?
Normal cruise control does not apply the brakes. On steep downhill grades I'm used to using engine braking, but this super tweaked 2.0 engine simply does not have the compression to hold back the weight of a California. Fortunately for us brake pad technology has advanced immensely, so even though we don't like it, just ride the brakes.

Normal cruise control does not apply the brakes. On steep downhill grades I'm used to using engine braking, but this super tweaked 2.0 engine simply does not have the compression to hold back the weight of a California. Fortunately for us brake pad technology has advanced immensely, so even though we don't like it, just ride the brakes.
I think I have brake pads from out of space. My front pads are still the original ones. After 140 000 km, they are now about just over halfway. So I can take some more steep downhills before they will be consumed. :thumb

If i'm correct the brakes are only applied automatically with ACC (auto cruise control)
Standard cruise control (CC) doesn't brake for you
Which do you have - ACC or CC?
How can you tell which you have?

How can you tell which you have?
Preset a speed and come up behind a slower car. If you have ACC your Cali will use radar to slow down to match the speed of the car ahead. If you pull out into the faster lane with no traffic, you will automatically accelerate to the preset speed. If you don't have it, you will have to manually disconnect and then reconnect the cruise control.

T5(.1) will only have normal cruise control if I am right.
T6 can have ACC.

Back