Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Custom build - 2020 Westfalia Club Joker 4Motion - Offroad build thread

You should play with the air pressure in your BFG’s. For me the sweet spot is 3.8 bar cold. With this time of year and the big daily changes in temps I adjust them mid day cold in complete shade. This pressure seems best for noise and comfort and still feels planted in the twisties. My van is always about 3-3.2 tons in weight though as I always have a full water tank and gear ready to go. So In a Cali it might make sense to start at 3.5-3.6 bar cold as it weighs less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks I’ll try that. I’m usually at around 4 bar for on road. I drop it down to around 2.4 for off road. Do you have an onboard compressor?

Thanks I’ll try that. I’m usually at around 4 bar for on road. I drop it down to around 2.4 for off road. Do you have an onboard compressor?

I have a small portable battery compressor that can go up to 11 bar. From Worx.

I’m not surprised you have noise and stiffness. BFG’s have a triple ply sidewall. Most others have single ply. This is great for durability and cornering but at higher pressures on the road can lead to noises and a stiff ride. There’s a table on the BFG website where you can put in the Tyre size and weight and it will give you the recommended pressure. On my phone at the beach or I’d try and find it. my friend has a beach with same size as me and runs 3.5 bar and is happy.

Dear Webbah,

My name is José Luis, and I'm the owner of a VW T5.1 Club Joker High Roof. After seeing your van, I can only congratulate you on your modifications.

I want to ask you some questions regarding the maximum load allowed in your data sheet since my van can only support a total of 3000Kg. I think that is too little to carry everything I need.

Do you know if it is possible to increase this load? I asked my vendor without success.

Another question, I want to modify my suspension because the back part of the van is too low. What type of suspension do you recommend? I am looking for something not too expensive like air suspension.

Thanks in advance.

Dear Webbah,

My name is José Luis, and I'm the owner of a VW T5.1 Club Joker High Roof. After seeing your van, I can only congratulate you on your modifications.

I want to ask you some questions regarding the maximum load allowed in your data sheet since my van can only support a total of 3000Kg. I think that is too little to carry everything I need.

Do you know if it is possible to increase this load? I asked my vendor without success.

Another question, I want to modify my suspension because the back part of the van is too low. What type of suspension do you recommend? I am looking for something not too expensive like air suspension.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Jose, thank you! I’m not too sure about the T5.1 as mine is a T6.1. Mine is based on the Transporter LWB which is 3,200 kg standard. I installed Goldschmidt air suspension with double bags on the rear. This gives me now 3,500kg load total. The nice thing about the Goldschmidt vs VB is that you can weigh the van on demand and it uses calibrated air pressure on both axles to do the calculation. Fully loaded I can average 3,200-3,300 kg load. So I can understand you!

You might wish to check Bilstein or Projekt Monotube for less expensive options to lift and add to the load rating. However having auto-level with air suspension is one of my absolute favorite features. Especially when wanting to sleep flat OR ensure a flat van when taking a shower so the water exits the drains properly.

Doing a little off grid testing with solar.

Firstly, it’s very clear to me that many don’t need this much power and will think it’s overkill. However I’d like to make sure I can go off grid for extended periods of time and not think about it much.

I have the following Victron and Solar panels:

Victron:

2*MPPT 30A under passenger seat for external solar panels on demand
1*MPPT 20A for solar panels fitted permanently on roof (170 watts)
1*BuckBoost 100A DC-DC charger (to charge at consistent 90-100A with alternator when desired/bad weather)
1*15A starter battery charger
1*1600/1800 watt inverter/AC EHU battery charger

Batteries:

2*100A LiPO4 Autarking Lithium Phosphate

Solar:

2*85 watt flexible solar panels fixed to roof
1*220 watt EcoFlow IP68 bifacial external panel
1*400 watt EcoFlow IP68 external panel

These EcoFlow panels are amazing and you get “watt” you pay for!

Look at these numbers:

178a8eee03d3032cb87cd8c3dc1ac1e3.png

812 watts of network total power (all panels concurrently) and the 400 watt panel putting out 419!

9c1d46814ec1b66957e2aef3d0e58edc.png

Above we can see a clear view of all devices. In this case 433 watts for the 400 panel and 215 for the 220 panel. Awesome stuff!

Charging my e-bike, using electrical appliances for cooking, and charging several MacBook Pro’s, IPad Pro’s and iPhones is no issue.

I also leave the fridge on 24/7 at setting 5, and have a 5G router, 3 dashcams running 24/7.

The diesel heater also uses 200-300 watts when the glow plug is active.

Having piece of mind to enable all of this is pretty sweet. Again, not for everyone of course but having creature comforts is nice too! Especially really good coffee….

Exchanged the 220 watt EcoFlow for another 400 watt EcoFlow as they were on sale so a small uplift in price and my MPPT can handle it. Crazy for some I’m sure now that it’s a total of close to 1Kw with the roof panels. Testing today with the Wave 2 Aircon which consumes 400 watts at full power.

Thanks.Yes defo any you would recommend?

I have the Hess ones but they are pretty spendy, Transporter HQ do some for much less but whether they are purely cosmetic or actually functional I couldn’t comment.

I have the Hess ones but they are pretty spendy, Transporter HQ do some for much less but whether they are purely cosmetic or actually functional I couldn’t comment.

Are the hess ones easy to fit?

No you don’t you would be broke! As there stuff is great but expensive.

They will deliver to uk (did when I emailed them a couple of years ago) as I looked into there tailgate carrier or VW T5 upgrades do/did sell there stuff.

Here are some other options (not in UK though) that I often compare with: