Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Custom build - 2020 Westfalia Club Joker 4Motion - Offroad build thread

They are great tyres! I just missed the BFG’s as I go off-road often and with all the mods I’ve done they also look better. I originally had the 255/55 R18 BFG’s and those were a bit noisy. I find the 225’s to be perfect at 3.5-3.6 bar cold. Not much noise at all.

I’m a bit of a perfectionist though and glad I have an understanding and fair mechanic to support me trying different setups!

He only uses the Pirelli’s on his off road Cali’s that he rents though as they are quiet and perform well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I totally get it I am the same but no understanding mechanic so I just want to be sure I get the right wheel and tyre combination the lift is booked in for July

I totally get it I am the same but no understanding mechanic so I just want to be sure I get the right wheel and tyre combination the lift is booked in for July

If you are only go light off-road on gravel roads or mild tracks either is fine. Anything more and I would go BFG. But it’s always a personal choice!

I find myself adjusting air pressure often this time of year due to the temp swings. But keeping them at 3.5 bar cold works wonders for noise.

No, 225/65R17 all around. The 235’s won’t work for BFG’s. Only Pirelli Scorpion A/T Plus work in that size for AT’s.

I ran 225 BFG on my old joker for 3yrs great tyres had a a spare underneath too. Never needed, not one puncher nice chunky side walls.

I ran 225 BFG on my old joker for 3yrs great tyres had a a spare underneath too. Never needed, not one puncher nice chunky side walls.
Hi ,did you also need to cut any of the spare wheel under tray to get it to fit?
The BFG is only 2 decibels more than the pirellI but about 50£ more expensive.
I have BFG on my defender 90 and they can be run almost flat so a spare is probably over kill in the uk plenty of garages if a repair is needed,but nice to have.

Hi ,did you also need to cut any of the spare wheel under tray to get it to fit?
I have BFG on my defender 90 and they can be run almost flat so a spare is probably over kill in the uk plenty of garages if a repair is needed,but nice to have.

No need to cut anything but the sides of the plastic a little bit.

Nope, just let around 5psi :thumb

Does that affect the tyre monitoring system?not sure if it covers the spare.

I didn’t put a tpms sensor on my spare. It’s just a steel wheel to get me to the shop to fix the primary on my nice wheels.

Yes more crap to go wrong lol

I have to say, true TPMS sensors vs the ones on the Cali are essential for me. With BFG’s and the change of seasons with wide temp changes during the day it’s great to see the Tyre pressures on my digital cockpit. Takes less than a few minutes to adjust the tyres if necessary. And I do live in the mountains of Switzerland.

I have to say, true TPMS sensors vs the ones on the Cali are essential for me. With BFG’s and the change of seasons with wide temp changes during the day it’s great to see the Tyre pressures on my digital cockpit. Takes less than a few minutes to adjust the tyres if necessary. And I do live in the mountains of Switzerland.

Who needs a Toyota Land Cruiser lol
just shows how capable the vw can be

If you are only go light off-road on gravel roads or mild tracks either is fine. Anything more and I would go BFG. But it’s always a personal choice!

I find myself adjusting air pressure often this time of year due to the temp swings. But keeping them at 3.5 bar cold works wonders for noise.

Hi went for falken wild track at3wa 235/65/17 on warlord black wheels really impressed with the tyres and wheels,also had the van lifted 35mm at transporter hq excellent service and very professional also fitted diff spacer.
next job is copy the seikel under van wheel Carrier which doesn’t look that hard
the ride is loads better less body roll and no sagging back end and lots of clearance.

Hi went for falken wild track at3wa 235/65/17 on warlord black wheels really impressed with the tyres and wheels,also had the van lifted 35mm at transporter hq excellent service and very professional also fitted diff spacer.
next job is copy the seikel under van wheel Carrier which doesn’t look that hard
the ride is loads better less body roll and no sagging back end and lots of clearance.

Congrats! Great choice. And totally agree! My high top van feels totally planted with these wheels, but the air suspension also helps.

For the spare to fit I simply inflated it to 2.2 bar and then sprayed a little silicon on the Tyre. Slid right in to the spare wheel carrier. If I need it I will inflate to 3.5-3.8 bar once mounted.

For the spare to fit I simply inflated it to 2.2 bar and then sprayed a little silicon on the Tyre. Slid right in to the spare wheel carrier. If I need it I will inflate to 3.5-3.8 bar once mounted.

Thanks Did a 235/65/17 fit the same way?

Who needs a Toyota Land Cruiser lol
just shows how capable the vw can be

Remarkably capable when you fit some AT tyres. As long as you don’t need a load of axle articulation or throttle control they will get you most places within reason. I have bilstein suspension with a 35mm lift and it’s great. Ride is a bit harsh on the KO2’s though - I’d be interested to get a view on the ride from the Falkens you have?

Remarkably capable when you fit some AT tyres. As long as you don’t need a load of axle articulation or throttle control they will get you most places within reason. I have bilstein suspension with a 35mm lift and it’s great. Ride is a bit harsh on the KO2’s though - I’d be interested to get a view on the ride from the Falkens you have?

Hi I have covered about 600miles on them now and the ride feels good road noise level is no different to the Goodyear 4 season and they look good,I wanted ko2,s but I do a lot of driving on European motorways so a little more road biased tyre I feel was the better option but time will tell with regards the wear rate I will keep you informed.

Hi I have covered about 600miles on them now and the ride feels good road noise level is no different to the Goodyear 4 season and they look good,I wanted ko2,s but I do a lot of driving on European motorways so a little more road biased tyre I feel was the better option but time will tell with regards the wear rate I will keep you informed.

Thanks

Thanks

You should play with the air pressure in your BFG’s. For me the sweet spot is 3.8 bar cold. With this time of year and the big daily changes in temps I adjust them mid day cold in complete shade. This pressure seems best for noise and comfort and still feels planted in the twisties. My van is always about 3-3.2 tons in weight though as I always have a full water tank and gear ready to go. So In a Cali it might make sense to start at 3.5-3.6 bar cold as it weighs less.