Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Daily car / run around

K

kearneyrob

Vehicle
Looking to buy
HI everyone, still considering purchase of a new T6.1 California Ocean in 199bhp / 7 DSG guise and this will serve both as a camper and my daily run around. Would like to hear owners' experience of running T6.1 California as a daily car.

Thanks in advance, Rob

Although I drive a T5.1 and not a T.6.1 and there are differences, I guess the basic experience of driving it as a daily driver is probably very similar. I found it to be easy to get used to as a daily driver. It basically drives just like any other car. Even though perhaps you shouldd drive a bit slower when you go on a roundabout. Love the DSG. The van is comfortable and not to big. Only real issue I have is, the fact that I don't have parking sensors on the front of the vehicle. But perhaps your 6.1 will. Thing is, while parking, I'm never quite sure where the front part (nose) of the car diagonal to the drivers seat is. How far it's away from obstacles/parked cars. It's always a bit of a guess. Now perhaps this is a guess for all cars but I never had problems with my previous cars with getting a feel fot it. But with this part of the van I have not been to lucky so far.

HI everyone, still considering purchase of a new T6.1 California Ocean in 199bhp / 7 DSG guise and this will serve both as a camper and my daily run around. Would like to hear owners' experience of running T6.1 California as a daily car.

Thanks in advance, Rob
Hi Rob, I guess you’re aware that VW is ceasing production of the 199 and replacing with the 204 engine (new emissions standard). I don’t believe they’re accepting any new 199 orders now? Production of the new engine doesn’t start until Week 6, 2021 so delivery won’t be until April/May at the earliest.

I use mine daily, 40miles a day usualy, no problem, just on car parks try to park it out of the way if poss, got a couple of dings from other folks doors.

Thanks in advance, Rob

We had our Beach as our only car for nearly 2 1/2 years. It’s a bit of a beast for supermarket shopping or driving somewhere nice to walk the dog, so last July we bought a Skoda Citigo for shorter trips. It’s so much nicer to park at the supermarket or parallel park on the roadside.

We have had our Cali's as our only transport since 2012. works for us.

I had 2 - but found I was using the Cali for everything except the very rare trip into town. So have sold it.

I used mine as daily driver since 2010. Covered 150000 km up to now without a single problem.
Why would you buy a California just for letting it collecting dust until you can get out with it?
Why would you buy another car for everything the California can do too?
Why would you have to insure both vehicles, MOT, road tax, ...

Not a hair on my head that considers buying another car next to the California.

I used mine as daily driver since 2010. Covered 150000 km up to now without a single problem.
Why would you buy a California just for letting it collecting dust until you can get out with it?

Not a hair on my head that considers buying another car next to the California.
Nice question, when ours comes it will be our only vehicle, servicing or repairs maybe an issue if I can’t get a loan vehicle but the dealer is only 10 mins away on the bus so hopefully i will survive.

Good afternoon,

I use my camper as a daily drive since November 2017 going to work, shopping, leisure etc.

So far there is no problem to use it as a daily drive, with one exception and that is the height. I don't believe that 2 m high for a car park is enough.

It is good that I only go very seldom to Dublin, because I only drive into car parks that are at least 2.1 m height. There are a few in Dublin but they are very "cramped".

Collecting or giving people a lift to the airport (in the good old times) is only possible because Terminal 2 car park is 2.1 m.

If we would need to visit somebody in any of the hospitals in the greater Dublin area we would be in a bit of trouble. In this case I would use my wife's car.

For day trips that can be a problem as well. More and more car parks in nice areas have a barrier with 2 m, or even 1.9 m, of height. :confused: It is really annoying.

You might want to consider this when you plan where to go with the camper. Some people are ok with 2 m car park, and at some stage I will try it carefully, but at the moment this is not an option for me.

Beside this is fine. I love to drive the California and even for the Ocean (higher weight) I won't use more diesel than with my VW Tiguan which I had before.

In Ireland there is another issue, which actually has nothing to do with the vehicle itself, but with the car insurance. My car insurance is due for renewal. At the moment there is only one company that offers car insurance for a camper as a daily drive. I am not unhappy about the cost, but if this company decide to stop this service I am in trouble (something to keep in mind for all Irish California owner which use the camper as a daily drive). I don't believe you have the same problems in the UK.

Happy California,
Eberhard

Thanks in advance, Rob
I have a 180 SE. Used as a daily driver for past 6 years. Now at almost 100,000 miles. The main thing to remember is being a diesel with all the emissions equipment it doesn’t like lots of short trips as the DPF - diesel particulate filter can get bunged up. My average trip is at least 15 miles and normally 30 or so. If you do do short trips then you need a good run on a frequent basis to avoid problems and use the occasional tank of premium diesel.

I have a 180 SE. Used as a daily driver for past 6 years. Now at almost 100,000 miles. The main thing to remember is being a diesel with all the emissions equipment it doesn’t like lots of short trips as the DPF - diesel particulate filter can get bunged up. My average trip is at least 15 miles and normally 30 or so. If you do do short trips then you need a good run on a frequent basis to avoid problems and use the occasional tank of premium diesel.
A single trip to my work and back is only 12km. I never take premium diesel (I only refuel at the lowest price pumps). I never drive longer trips just for DPF reasons. Never had an issue with the DPF or engine because of my driving style yet.

I never park in underground or multi storage parkings.
I always try to get under the 2 meter barrier, and I might even try 1.9m barriers (if they are over 2m in real life).
French péage, if there is a lot of traffic, I take the 2m gates. First time I drove very slowly under the barrier. All the other times, I just fly in the gate like with a normal car. Only if the barrier isn't really straight, I take another gate.

The biggest problem I encounter is the width and length in roadside parking spaces. They are made for Up!s and Polo's. Not for real cars ;).
We only have a Pheaton (A8, S-class, 7 series) sized car, just a bit higher.

The biggest problem I encounter is the width and length in roadside parking spaces. They are made for Up!s and Polo's. Not for real cars ;).

A cali is shorter than you think, its not as long as those you mention, its the length of an e-class & shorter than a 5 series BMW

Mine is the winter daily & summer longer trip vehicle, gets used especially for shopping & taking the dog out. I just try not to use it for the station run as thats only just over a mile each way.

A single trip to my work and back is only 12km. I never take premium diesel (I only refuel at the lowest price pumps). I never drive longer trips just for DPF reasons. Never had an issue with the DPF or engine because of my driving style yet.

I never park in underground or multi storage parkings.
I always try to get under the 2 meter barrier, and I might even try 1.9m barriers (if they are over 2m in real life).
French péage, if there is a lot of traffic, I take the 2m gates. First time I drove very slowly under the barrier. All the other times, I just fly in the gate like with a normal car. Only if the barrier isn't really straight, I take another gate.

You haven’t got the T6.1 which seems to be more sensitive to shorter trips compared to the earlier T5 models with a DPF.

Our Cali doesn’t collect dust - even this year we’ve covered 12,000 miles.

But the biggest bonus of having two cats is that Clare and I can do different things. I can go off hillwalking for a weekend with one child while Clare heads off to stay with her aunt with the other child.

Oh — and the Cali can’t do 70mpg on a long run.

Last edited:
I see no reason to use it as a daily drive. Drives like a car really. Size isn't an issue. Comfortable and quick enough. However the constant rattles and noises get on my nerves!

I see no reason why a (now) 65000+ van should just be used for holidays.
When driving from and to your location, the constant rattles and noises drive you nuts then too.
Why not get used to it, and try to find what is causing the noises so you can go on holidays in a quieter van?

Using the van now to take the dogs instead of the XC90, as well as day breaks and camping overnight. However can't locate the rattles while driving along. Also a few things need sorting, like a missing piece of foam padding in the bottom of the door recess that holds the table. It's on my list! We'll get them all sorted. Still not quite as comfortable as my XC90.

Good morning,

Yes, the noise level of the camper can be a bit distracting and annoying. But for me there are two different sources for that noise.

Contents of drawers / cabinets
There is always a bit of noise from the drawer or more the cabinets, or from the boxes from the boot. I try to keep this to a minimum, but there is always something.

Even though it is a bit distracting, I can live with it, because I can control it or it was my fault in the first place. Can be sorted.

From the vehicle
Sometimes there are some strange noises from the dashboard, the awning etc.

Those noise are really annoying because they are more difficult to find and what is more important sometimes far more difficult to fix.

At the moment there is a rattle somewhere, I assume in the right, back. But I have almost no hearing on the right ear, it is difficult for me to locate from where the rattle is coming from. I could ask my wife, but she doens't mind those noises at all. So I start to ignoare them to.

As mentioned in this thread before, why should be a wonderful vehicle, which is so expensive, only be used a few times a year / month and not as much as possible? At the end it is based on a VW Transporter, a van that was designed to be used every day in the city, country or motorway to do hard work. Why should this be different because the Transporter was changed to a camper?

Happy everyday California,
Eberhard

As @WelshGas said short runs with no regular long ones can cause problems with sooting up.
Hopefully VW have improved this issue, T6's had an Adblue update where more is consumed to clean out the system more effectively.

I've not seen any problems mentioned on the van Forum relating to 6.1 emissions, mainly the electronics - dash/display.

The flat sides are more prone to carpark scrapes and dents than cars. May be due to car drivers thinking that 'vans' shouldn't be in carparks and don't worry about giving them a bash with their door.

Thanks in advance, Rob

Fine as a daily driver, higher driving position gives you better visibility.

You actually have a bit more space on tight roads / parking bays as your wing mirrors sit higher than a cars; Obviously be careful of vans with wing mirrors of similar heights, just fold yours in before 'impact' for a bit more elbow room!

Great for tight parking bays as you always use the sliding door if someone parks to close.

Suggest keeping the alloys as standard to minimise kerb damage if you need to parallel park in tight spaces alot.

Thanks to everyone for their replies ....... really helpful in helping me decide as to whether to "take the plunge" or not. Will keep you all posted on what I do but currently Ireland is at max level 5 lockdown so no option to follow up with the 2 VW dealers I have been in contact with with regard to a possible purchase.

Good afternoon,

I use my camper as a daily drive since November 2017 going to work, shopping, leisure etc.

So far there is no problem to use it as a daily drive, with one exception and that is the height. I don't believe that 2 m high for a car park is enough.

It is good that I only go very seldom to Dublin, because I only drive into car parks that are at least 2.1 m height. There are a few in Dublin but they are very "cramped".

Collecting or giving people a lift to the airport (in the good old times) is only possible because Terminal 2 car park is 2.1 m.

If we would need to visit somebody in any of the hospitals in the greater Dublin area we would be in a bit of trouble. In this case I would use my wife's car.

For day trips that can be a problem as well. More and more car parks in nice areas have a barrier with 2 m, or even 1.9 m, of height. :confused: It is really annoying.

You might want to consider this when you plan where to go with the camper. Some people are ok with 2 m car park, and at some stage I will try it carefully, but at the moment this is not an option for me.

Beside this is fine. I love to drive the California and even for the Ocean (higher weight) I won't use more diesel than with my VW Tiguan which I had before.

In Ireland there is another issue, which actually has nothing to do with the vehicle itself, but with the car insurance. My car insurance is due for renewal. At the moment there is only one company that offers car insurance for a camper as a daily drive. I am not unhappy about the cost, but if this company decide to stop this service I am in trouble (something to keep in mind for all Irish California owner which use the camper as a daily drive). I don't believe you have the same problems in the UK.

Happy California,
Eberhard
Thanks - really insightful from an Irish perspective. Can you advise on the insurance company that insures campers used for daily drives ?

Back