Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dark red brown stains on drive, any idea what it is?

BillyCasper

BillyCasper

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Two areas of dark red brown stain have appeared on my drive. I can only think that they have come from my California. Any ideas what it could be: transmission fluid? Regards.

IMG_0661.JPG IMG_0662.JPG

Last edited:
Coolant can often be orange but that looks too dark.

Transmission oil is often a dark red colour when its older. Could also be power steering fluid maybe that can be browny red too. Important to get it checked out whichever it is.

Can you see any evidence on the engine or chassis when you look underneath?

Thanks Matt and Rich. The underneath of the vehicle looks bone dry to me. I also have an older Volvo, but it is rarely on the drive and also looks dry.

My VW is going in on Friday to have the elevating roof checked (intermittent wonky), so I'll mention the stains.

Regards

That looks like soot to me so it might be coming out of the exhaust when you start it up..

That looks like soot to me so it might be coming out of the exhaust when you start it up..
that would be at the back though and not underneath. It does look like soot I have to agree.

Sorry OP didn't mention underneath. My assumption when talking about possible fluid loss.

On enlarging the photos it doesn't look like a fluid leak. In fact in the 2nd one it looks like a deposit that has been washed off. Unlikely to be engine exhaust because of the DPF etc: but the Parking Heater is a definite suspect.

The problem us on modern cars all is coverd up underneeth and you have no clue where it comes from.
Leave it overnight with a carton box folded underneeth.

I reverse in to the drive. Both patches are to the rear of the vehicle and on opposite sides of the vehicle. The washed patch is on the side of the water fill and below the waste water drain. The more solid patch is on the side of the vehicle that the cabin heater is on.

Maybe two different origins? Maybe an unusual lichen? I would say that the solid patch is 'sooty'.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have you used a new wheel cleaner? Some can damage driveway surfaces.

Have you used a new wheel cleaner? Some can damage driveway surfaces.

I've owned it seven months and have to admit that I've never washed the exterior. Inside is nice and tidy though.

could be the water drain holes from the roof. 2 front and 2 back. do you park with roof up? for cleaning etc or washing with hose? maybe rain or wash water running out and staining the drive with brake dust etc. I don't know where the exit pipes are though.in b pillars at the front I think

could be the water drain holes from the roof. 2 front and 2 back. do you park with roof up? for cleaning etc or washing with hose? maybe rain or wash water running out and staining the drive with brake dust etc. I don't know where the exit pipes are though.in b pillars at the front I think
Front roof drains run down the A pillar. Rear above the tailgate seal.

He doesn't wash it.

Back