Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Toilet.....what do you do?

smgcowfoldparts said:
Hello everyone......

I have a porta potti 335qube bundle in stock which comes with the protection tray.

VIP price is

£135.00 inc vat.

Postage extra.

Cheers steve

Nice bundle Steve ;-)

And finally, if you wish, you can carry out accurate measurements of use (which, a bit like mpg,can be put on a spreadsheet later for comparative purposes!)

Good idea, of course you will need to log input as well as output. I recommend a different jug for measuring input....

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

teeboy said:
And finally, if you wish, you can carry out accurate measurements of use (which, a bit like mpg,can be put on a spreadsheet later for comparative purposes!)

Good idea, of course you will need to log input as well as output. I recommend a different jug for measuring input....

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Yes,
Something more glass shaped perhaps....? And if taken in pints that makes it easier to calculate input volumes.
Could get quite complicated.

Hi
If you are wild camping with a porta loo where do you empty it?

I did some thinking about this, although this is theoretical as we haven't done more than a couple of nights yet.

- Check into a campsite every couple of days. I like this idea because I also like showers :D
- Some C&CC sites offer a splash and dash service. Don't remember the cost, but you get a couple of hours to dispose of grey/black waste, have a shower and fill water tanks. I also like this because I like showers :D
- If you are using something kind in your port potty, like bio washing tabs, instead of the formaldehyde stuff, dig a hole in the woods and bury it (the waste, not the port potty!). I don't get a shower :cry:
- Sneak into a public toilet somewhere and dispose of it. You may get some funny looks. No shower...

hth,
dan

TwentyOneThirtyFive said:
- If you are using something kind in your port potty, like bio washing tabs
Interesting! Do these actually work?

Chatting at the Caravan and Motorhome show, someone mentioned that they used a SOG system and say it was very common in Scandinavia as it was more Eco friendly. Any experience?

P.s. We currently use a Portapotti 335 stored under the rear shelf

NickE said:
TwentyOneThirtyFive said:
- If you are using something kind in your port potty, like bio washing tabs
Interesting! Do these actually work?

Haven't tried yet, next time we're away 1 night with the on-suite I was going to give it a try. Seemed quite popular on one of the wild camping forums.

ChrisandPenney52 said:
Chatting at the Caravan and Motorhome show, someone mentioned that they used a SOG system and say it was very common in Scandinavia as it was more Eco friendly. Any experience?

I thought these only worked in fixed applications, like in motorhomes?

carry a small loo in boot and whip it out in emergency situations only! The darkened windows help LOL

We have the thetford qube toilet which we've put under the sink. I've seen others use a Bradrup protection tray, but they don't seem to be available separately? Does anyone know where we can get one or have suggestions for an alternative?
Are leaks common (hoping not!!!!!!!)?

Thanks

Haha, well I know a LOT more about campervans and toilets than when I started this thread! :) We just collected our new (to us) California Coast and have just ordered a Thetford 335,

We had a 335 in our ‘car camping’ days. Since first posting we have owned 2 Fiat Ducato based campervans (with electric flushing loos!) and finally after all these years just seen the light and bought a Cali.

I’m less worried about all this toilet stuff and consider all the advantages of the VW to outweigh the disadvantages of driving about in a big ‘delivery van disguised as a motor home’.

Oh and for what its worth we found that keeping the liquids and solids apart (that’s peeing in a bottle to you and me :) ) considerably reduces odours and increase the time period before the loo needs emptying. Also eco friendly washing machine liquid works (nearly) as well as the green liquid chemical additives but much much cheaper, and the loo can still be emptied into a septic type toilet without causing any harm.

Too much information? yeah maybe but hey, we all go to the loo…….

Haha, well I know a LOT more about campervans and toilets than when I started this thread! :) We just collected our new (to us) California Coast and have just ordered a Thetford 335,

We had a 335 in our ‘car camping’ days. Since first posting we have owned 2 Fiat Ducato based campervans (with electric flushing loos!) and finally after all these years just seen the light and bought a Cali.

I’m less worried about all this toilet stuff and consider all the advantages of the VW to outweigh the disadvantages of driving about in a big ‘delivery van disguised as a motor home’.

Oh and for what its worth we found that keeping the liquids and solids apart (that’s peeing in a bottle to you and me :) ) considerably reduces odours and increase the time period before the loo needs emptying. Also eco friendly washing machine liquid works (nearly) as well as the green liquid chemical additives but much much cheaper, and the loo can still be emptied into a septic type toilet without causing any harm.

Too much information? yeah maybe but hey, we all go to the loo…….
If I said to my wife she had to pee in a bottle to save emptying the porta potti she would hit me round the head with it.

Having had Californias for about 19 years I have found that the splash quotient with a bottle is far too high. The preferred option for me ( don’t ask about Mrs D of H) is a 1 litre plastic measuring jug. This has the benefit of aim security (low splash) is easily stored for travel, is usually volume adequate and can, if you so wish provide output records for spread sheet use. We have found that It is best to use the same jug at all times and not to use it for any other purpose.

Haha, I can see my ‘pee in a bottle’ statement has been taken literally:)

The weapon of choice can be many things……… I find a 5 litre Yanmar oil container to be useful, especially if you pee a lot :) :)

I recommend that you don’t pee and chuck. This can seem beneficial in keeping the Porta Potti empty for as long as possible but it does have downsides.
Once camping in France in our old trailer tent I developed a system whereby I could stand in the extension unzip the door just enough and pee out onto the grass. It seemed a wonderful way out of the dilemma (as long as done late at night!) . What could possibly go wrong? However, after 3 days we started to detect a familiar smell just by the tent door. Not too far from where we had our breakfast.….. At that point and after some err, discussion with my wife (who didn’t use the system it may surprise you to know) it was decided that I would try a different approach. Hence the Port Potti and measuring jug.
So, beware lobbing it on the grass!

Back