Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dash camera install

warranty should not be an issue especially if Halfords fit as they would warrant their installation. Its not a modification to the vehicle so warranty is not something you need to worry about.

Link to my Dash Cam install

Sounds ominous, I am taking it they don't have a great reputation?
To be honest I don’t have any experience of Halfords but I just wouldn’t feel comfortable with them routing a cable to and through the rear tailgate. I’m sure for a straightforward front camera install connected to a switched live they’d be fine.

Link to my Dash Cam install
This looks great!
Will purchase the kit myself and give it a go. Thanks for sharing.

This looks great!
Will purchase the kit myself and give it a go. Thanks for sharing.
If you can wire a plug, you can fit a dash camera and make a good job of it. :thumb

The front camera is now installed here are the steps.

First mount the camera so the lens looks out just below the shaded part of the screen.
I mounted it on the right of the rear view mirror as the camera needs to slide right to detach from the mount that is stuck to the screen.
View attachment 17226

Next remove the switch panel from the roof console by leavening it down from the front edge, you can make it easier by dropping down the sunglasses holder.
View attachment 17227
There are 2 black screws up inside that need to be removed.

Next remove the the roof console lights by levering down from the left. Again there are 2 more black screws to be removed.
View attachment 17228 View attachment 17229

With the 4 screws removed carefully prise down the whole roof console.
View attachment 17230
It may help to remove the control panel first and to do this I found that
I needed to release the side clips with my trim tool.
View attachment 17231

With the console down you can pass out the power lead and connect it to the camera and push the bundle of spare cable into the gap above the roof lining.

The F770 hard wire kit needs a permanent and switched feed plus an earth connection.
The earth connection can de made to one of the 2 black screws you can see when you look up under the roof and the red and yellow cables need to be spliced into the loom that goes to the 6 wire plug in the back of the camping control unit.

As you look at the back of the control unit you will see 3 connectors; a 32 pin plus with a purple clip over it, a 2 pin plug and a 6 pin plug.

The 6pin plug has a permanent live on the red wire and a switched live on the black wire.
Using a couple of 3M splice crimps (jelly filled BT quality ones) join the yellow(batt) lead from the camera to the permanent feed red wire and the red(ACC) camera lead to the black wire.
View attachment 17232

Tidy up the cables and push the slack back up into the void at the side and refit the roof console, put the 4 screws back in and refit the 3 units.
View attachment 17233

Job done.
Will the process for hardwiring into the roof console on a T6.1 ocean with the latest control module display be much the same? I’m not keen on splicing into OEM wiring though. My work had issues with BMW cars where trackers wiring had spliced into OEM wiring and caused operation issues and got a £750 bill from BMW to correct it.

Thanks. I had a hardwire kit in the box with the camera. Have now installed it and connected via piggy back fuse tails in the fuse box below the light switch to fuse no. 52 for permanent live (parking mode) and fuse no. 42 for switched live (driving mode). I just need to find a good accessible earth point now. Anyone know a good earth point in or near this fuse box that’s easy to get to? Was thinking of removing the end dash panel trim as I’m sure I saw some holes in metal frames behind that that I could attach a small nut & bolt to. Ran out of daylight so a job for another day. All tested though using a temporary earth point to a bolt on the drivers seat runner.

Thanks. I had a hardwire kit in the box with the camera. Have now installed it and connected via piggy back fuse tails in the fuse box below the light switch to fuse no. 52 for permanent live (parking mode) and fuse no. 42 for switched live (driving mode). I just need to find a good accessible earth point now. Anyone know a good earth point in or near this fuse box that’s easy to get to? Was thinking of removing the end dash panel trim as I’m sure I saw some holes in metal frames behind that that I could attach a small nut & bolt to. Ran out of daylight so a job for another day. All tested though using a temporary earth point to a bolt on the drivers seat runner.
If you take the side panel off there is a screw there to use as earth.