Difference between 6.1 California 150hp and 204hp diesel drivetrains

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
So from what I said “I clearly dont” want more power? WRONG. I also have a Hayabusa used for touring a trackday R1 and a focus RS. I also have a “VW Camper van” which I use for going “camping”. And don’t use it round the Nurburgring. Remapping for more torque and better fuel consumption is great , but not screwing every BHP possible.
Everyone has a different view on what vehicle they want to own and what they want to do with it. The speed limit on UK roads is still 70 mph Maximum and on many roads now down to 50 mph.
Some owners travel a little further than the U.K..;) and top speed isn’t everything.

Phillip T

Phillip T

VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I bought second hand and would of loved 4x4 204bhp but settled for a lovely Blackberry 150bhp.

There wasn't much choice and it was based on what was available and budget.

There's no denying IMO that 4motion (with difflock) 204bhp is the daddy - but I've yet to get to stuck with my lowly 150bhp and it drives fine.

I think the tyres help a bit :)

View attachment 86892
Yes, I ended up with a 150 too, for the same reasons, purchase cost and I liked the mechanically simpler engine. Its still expensive to run in terms of fuel, so tend to drive economically at the speed limits for financial and environmental reasons.

A

ardm17

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
To misquote an old computer saying "They all travel at the same speed when parked up on the camping site" ..

B J G

B J G

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
4 Motion was an essential requirement in my case (steep gravel drive) and only option was, and still is on the T6.1, to have a 204 engine.

On the original question on the basis of parts simplification for production I would assume that DSG plus its front wheel drive system/components are common to both 150 & 204. 150 now shares the bigger discs that were previously only on 204's and similar variants.

Stu@rt

Stu@rt

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
And at the risk of increasing thread drift some more, some might have chosen the UK Coast model as they preferred the look of its bright oak interior, instead of the grey units on the UK Ocean. So if Coast was your choice, then its the 150ps or not at all. :)

andyinluton

andyinluton

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
These bigger discs fit the standard 16in wheels ?
No.
They also don't fit under some of the earlier designs of VW sport line 18" wheels.

M

Mr B

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
So from what I said “I clearly dont” want more power? WRONG. I also have a Hayabusa used for touring a trackday R1 and a focus RS. I also have a “VW Camper van” which I use for going “camping”. And don’t use it round the Nurburgring. Remapping for more torque and better fuel consumption is great , but not screwing every BHP possible.
Everyone has a different view on what vehicle they want to own and what they want to do with it. The speed limit on UK roads is still 70 mph Maximum and on many roads now down to 50 mph.
Well being a bonafide car enthusiast you must know that Power isn't all about top speed? That was my point.

No one said they wanted to go faster than 70mph - although they could do if they wanted in both versions of van and I'm sure many do.

As you say, Torque is actually far more useful than BHP.

Have you seen this truck:

Belaz 75710

The power output of each engine is 2,300HP. The vehicle uses an electromechanical transmission powered by alternating current. The top speed of the truck is 64km/h.

It's designed to haul a payload near 500tons.

1637849863180.png

B J G

B J G

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
No.
They also don't fit under some of the earlier designs of VW sport line 18" wheels.
Minor point but it was the spokes that didn't clear the calliper, thin spacer needed.

H

Holidaymaker

Vehicle
Grand California 600
At a steady 85mph I’ve found the bigger engine to be more economical.
The biggest difference is the way it picks up speed between 40and 80mph the extra torque makes it far more relaxing, in comparison to our old van it either has the same performance whilst being in a gear ratio or two higher, or far more performance in the same gears.
why you are drive holiday caravan 85mph? even Germany autobahn peoples in holiday caravan is relax , is holiday, enjoy panorama all windows and is not rush.
You is up mix and take wrong car you journey.

H

Holidaymaker

Vehicle
Grand California 600
Is very strange read here uk people thinking and is some is make bicker such a power choosing.

Is you bickers not understanding is 2 choice.
Is each person/family having own what is can afford and is what is like style living home, food, car, clothes.

What " better " for you is not mean " better " everyone - home, plates washing machine, curtains and car.

I am Grand California - is only 1 motor and is work fine to the purpose it move motorhome is have 130kW power.
Is not say is better holiday car because is has bigger trash bin. or bigger front window.

Is better for me because my bad leg and is I can standing up all camper, not better because is 130kW motor power.

I hope is some you silly bicker peoples must understand is each peoples different what is want and need is not same and we are all happy can make choice what is buy.

Is not this " better " because is what is you have.

andyinluton

andyinluton

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
why you are drive holiday caravan 85mph? even Germany autobahn peoples in holiday caravan is relax , is holiday, enjoy panorama all windows and is not rush.
You is up mix and take wrong car you journey.

I drive it at 85mph, because I don't actually want to spend half my holiday looking out the window at a French motorway, watching everyone else fly past.
85mph is not a rush thats just going the same speed as everyone else.
I bought a cali because it exactly the right vehicle for doing those speeds where permitted on the motorways.

Calimili

Calimili

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
The Unique Selling Point of the California is, together with parking, speed, i.e. you can drive it like a car. So why driving it like a truck or a big white at best ?
Perfect engine for the Job? 150 PS 4M ;);):cool::D

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
I find on motorways I can drive comfortably at 70 mph and still do my knitting.

I don't need any more power, I won't knit faster :(

CaliAzur

CaliAzur

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Four wheel drive makes no difference other than increased fuel consumption at high speed.
It’s of more use doing Grand Prix starts and on hairpin bends.
I totally disagree lol… try driving both in heavy rain or getting out of mud on a forest track and tell me the result.… true that the 4MO consumes more and is heavier, but it has many advantages over the 2WD depending on your usage. If one is on motorways, main roads and campsites, the 2WD will do a fine job, but off the beaten track and driving in extremely heavy rain, 4MO excels.

CaliAzur

CaliAzur

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
A lot of 204 owners trying to justify why they went 204 instead of 150. The argument is valid both ways.
There is no doubt the 204 pulls away better than the 150. The torque is much stronger. With the 204 is easier to overtake, pull a trailer uphill. It will get off quicker at the traffic light.
Question is, how do you drive and do you need so much performance, considering it is a camper van?
How many bhp do you regularly use?
On the Autobahn, I travel usually at 150km/h. The van would go faster, but having a wind out awning on the side and a bike rack at the back, doesn't make much sense. The brakes are the same 150/204 with the 17". So both will need to be able to stop and have the same brakes.
At 150km/h I am not using 150bhp. I'm using less.
I don't floor the gas pedal at the traffic light as I don't need to be as quick as possible. Again not using the full torque. 150/204 have same transmission and gearbox.
If I were to have to pull a trailer uphill on a regular basis I would need the full torque of the 150 and benefit from the much higher 204 torque, but that's not my case.
It would be interesting to know how many of the 204 owners regularly need all the available power.
The braking and cornering limits are the same on 150/204.

Apart from the extra turbo and components, I wouldn't be surprise if the cooling system was upgraded on the 204 vs the 150.
150 is your no trouble work horse, and with 4MO I find it perfect to get off the beaten track. If I planned to tow a trailer, I may have gone for the 204, but I am not. For me, my 150 4MO is just perfect!

CaliAzur

CaliAzur

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
4 Motion was an essential requirement in my case (steep gravel drive) and only option was, and still is on the T6.1, to have a 204 engine.

On the original question on the basis of parts simplification for production I would assume that DSG plus its front wheel drive system/components are common to both 150 & 204. 150 now shares the bigger discs that were previously only on 204's and similar variants.
I forget the UK does not have the 150 4MO engine like here in France, nor the 4MO Coast. That’s regrettable, it’s a great combo

VW California Club