Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Disabling the alarm on the Cali for ferry crossing

Read our 2022 T6.1 manual in both English and German! Totally unclear in both.
We turned off the volumetric in the media unit, but soon after leaving harbour our Cali joined the unholy chorus of car alarms .
Fortunately I can see it from one deck above and that deck is locked during the overnight voyage, so just blipped it open. Peace!
Why is this so obscure?
Sorry to read that. I also only found out how to do it for a T6.1 by reading this forum. Hopefully you now know for next time :thumb

Read our 2022 T6.1 manual in both English and German! Totally unclear in both.
We turned off the volumetric in the media unit, but soon after leaving harbour our Cali joined the unholy chorus of car alarms .
Fortunately I can see it from one deck above and that deck is locked during the overnight voyage, so just blipped it open. Peace!
Why is this so obscure?
It’s very mysterious. I sent a question to California Chris a couple of weeks ago, as he’d reviewed security on a video, but no response.

It’s very mysterious. I sent a question to California Chris a couple of weeks ago, as he’d reviewed security on a video, but no response.
Double click on the keyfob locks the van but disables the movement alarm. Repeating myself I know but I’ve totally tested it on our t6.1 MY21.

Double click on the keyfob locks the van but disables the movement alarm. Repeating myself I know but I’ve totally tested it on our t6.1 MY21.
Got that, but did this on the return trip and, either I didn’t get the key presses right, or the system didn’t respond as you might expect. The end result was the van still alarmed.

Got that, but did this on the return trip and, either I didn’t get the key presses right, or the system didn’t respond as you might expect. The end result was the van still alarmed.
I always check the light on the top of the panel on the driver’s window is not flashing red (T6.1)

EDIT : maybe check it at home. 1 click on the fob and the red light flashes. 2 consecutive clicks and the light does not flash.

Interesting one that @Hawthorn37
I’m sure you know but the two fob presses need to be in quick succession. Could that be the issue?

On a previous Skoda I owned two clicks use to fold the wing mirrors in from memory

I always check the light on the top of the panel on the driver’s window is not flashing red (T6.1)

EDIT : maybe check it at home. 1 click on the fob and the red light flashes. 2 consecutive clicks and the light does not flas
Interesting one that @Hawthorn37
I’m sure you know but the two fob presses need to be in quick succession. Could that be the issue?
Confirmed, 2 fob presses stops the red light flashing, so the internal alarm sensors are deactivated.

The same result (no flashing light) is obtained through the infotainment system menu choice., Vehicle > Settings > Opening & Closing > Interior Alarm. However, this doesn’t disable the movement sensor and alarm, as proven on our recent ferry crossings.

So, from what I can see and have experienced, I’m not able to prove to myself that the 2 key fob presses disables the movement sensor - unless actually on a ferry (Which for us isn’t going to be till spring next year - unless we can get to the King Harry ferry in Cornwall ! ).

Happy to receive more inputs / result of actual experiences.

So, from what I can see and have experienced, I’m not able to prove to myself that the 2 key fob presses disables the movement sensor - unless actually on a ferry (Which for us isn’t going to be till spring next year - unless we can get to the King Harry ferry in Cornwall ! ).
@Hawthorn37
There are two sensors - the interior movement sensor & then there is a tilt sensor which is designed to trigger if the van is lifted or towed.

Its easy to check if the tilt sensor is turned off at home, just jack the van up on any corner.

I am guessing it is the tilt sensor that is triggering.

Looking at the T6 manual on line ( only one I can find) it states that if Safelock is activated by the remote control the anti theft alarm is still set - ie open a door / tilt the van & the alarm will still sound.
If safelock is set by using the key in the drivers door lock, by turning the key to the close position twice, then the anti theft alarm is disabled.

Assuming the same applies to T6.1 it would explain why you can use the double press, leave the dog in the van etc & it all appears to work correctly, but stick it on a ferry & the alarm sounds.

Further reading suggests that the old B pillar button also disabled the anti theft alarms.
Logic would therefore suggest that going via the menus to disable the Safelock will also disable the anti theft alarm as the menu option replaced the button, whereas the double press on the remote will not.

I have attached the 2 pages that I am reading from below, its not the whole manual.

Attachments

• Full VW Manual 04.2015.pdf
    301.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
@Hawthorn37
There are two sensors - the interior movement sensor & then there is a tilt sensor which is designed to trigger if the van is lifted or towed.

Its easy to check if the tilt sensor is turned off at home, just jack the van up on any corner.

I am guessing it is the tilt sensor that is triggering.

Looking at the T6 manual on line ( only one I can find) it states that if Safelock is activated by the remote control the anti theft alarm is still set - ie open a door / tilt the van & the alarm will still sound.
If safelock is set by using the key in the drivers door lock, by turning the key to the close position twice, then the anti theft alarm is disabled.

Assuming the same applies to T6.1 it would explain why you can use the double press, leave the dog in the van etc & it all appears to work correctly, but stick it on a ferry & the alarm sounds.

Further reading suggests that the old B pillar button also disabled the anti theft alarms.
Logic would therefore suggest that going via the menus to disable the Safelock will also disable the anti theft alarm as the menu option replaced the button, whereas the double press on the remote will not.

I have attached the 2 pages that I am reading from below, its not the whole manual.
You make an interesting reference to SAFELOCK. Each time we turn off the ignition a message appears on the dash, “Pease check SAFELOCK. Vehicle Wallet!” To date, on looking in the vehicle wallet, i.e. the user manual index, I could find no reference to Safetlock. However, it is there, on page 68. See image below.

It‘s clear that the anti tow alarm is only deactivated if the van is locked using the key in the “drivers door” lock cylinder (actually the passenger door on a RH drive van!).
Although it doesn’t say so in the manual, I have discovered if you lock the van with the key with 2 key turns (about 1 second between key turns), the interior alarm is also disabled as well as the anti tow. If you then use the remote to lock the van, then SAFELOCK protection is restored.

I’ve not tried jacking the van as you suggested (buried deep in the van), but given the clarity of the manual, and the response from the van, I think this counts as a ‘problem solved’ ! So many thanks @andyinluton. :pinkbanana

One day I’ll read the book cover to cover ;)

659D0F14-D46B-4A12-8859-582146548D39.jpeg

So in summary, on a ferry crossing with a 6.1, lock the van using the key in the passenger door with two turns in quick succession?

So in summary, on a ferry crossing with a 6.1, lock the van using the key in the passenger door with two turns in quick succession?
Yes. Using the remote with two clicks didn’t work for us last year, tried it on two ferry crossings - WeConnect advised that the anti theft alarm was activated numerous times. According to the owners manual, the key / door lock deactivates the anti tow alarm on the 6.1.

1693864625704.png
You could also activate camping mode when parked and just lock the vehicle as normal. Disabling the interior monitoring also switches off Safelock.

Edit - reading the manual camping mode does NOT seem to deactivate the interior sensor if you lock the van with the key. Which makes sense as I already knew the alarm went off if you use the key to lock from the inside on the night so locking from the outside of course will activate the sense on camp mode.

Last edited:
AFAIK that just deactivates the safelock. Likely you have just been lucky the alarm did not go off.
I did however physically try it a couple of years ago by locking it with one click and then trying it with two clicks and jumping about like a madman inside the van. One click - alarm sounded, 2 clicks - no alarm.

I did however physically try it a couple of years ago by locking it with one click and then trying it with two clicks and jumping about like a madman inside the van. One click - alarm sounded, 2 clicks - no alarm.
Maybe it's one of those things that changed over the years, even within the 6.1. TBH the new process is a lot more of a faff than having a simple button and I find it hard to work out on the screen if the interior alarm is activated or deactivated from the picture.

I think movement of the van on a ferry car deck is more brutal. The alarm went off at least 5 times during the Dieppe to Newhaven crossing., after doing the double click thing.

I think movement of the van on a ferry car deck is more brutal. The alarm went off at least 5 times during the Dieppe to Newhaven crossing., after doing the double click thing.
Interesting. Maybe I’ve just been lucky as @dspuk suggests. I need to check again.

Interesting. Maybe I’ve just been lucky as @dspuk suggests. I need to check again.
I know it doesn't quite fit with what the current manual states, but I think a double click on the fob disables the internal movement sensors but leaves the tow away tilt sensors active.

I know it doesn't quite fit with what the current manual states, but I think a double click on the fob disables the internal movement sensors but leaves the tow away tilt sensors active.
Could be Andy. Will test mine again at some point.

Easiest way is using Carista, takes a few seconds to disable the alarm whilst in the ferry queue, turn it back on whilst you are waiting to go through customs on the other side.

Back