Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Does installing the data plug reset the service schedule?

Bramco

Bramco

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi,

Our van has started bleating at us that it needs an inspection in x days but we had the van set up for the 2 year/20k schedule when we got it and it's only a year since the last service.

So does installing the data plug reset the schedule back to 1 year?

Hi,

Our van has started bleating at us that it needs an inspection in x days but we had the van set up for the 2 year/20k schedule when we got it and it's only a year since the last service.

No,. Not sure if Carista or one of the other OBD dongles can do it.

Hi,

I think the “Inspection“ is yearly it’s the “Oil change” that should be showing 2year/20k.

No,. Not sure if Carista or one of the other OBD dongles can do it.
I thought the question was self evident - apparently not - it's not if I can change it with the data plug, it's does installing the data plug reset the service schedule.

think the “Inspection“ is yearly it’s the “Oil change” that should be showing 2year/20k.
According to everything I've read there are 2 schedules, yearly or every other year and these aren't dependant on oil changes. My understanding is that if the mileage gets a bit high on the 2 yearly schedule then you get an oil change warning. We're getting the inspection in xx days warning.

I thought the question was self evident - apparently not - it's not if I can change it with the data plug, it's does installing the data plug reset the service schedule.

According to everything I've read there are 2 schedules, yearly or every other year and these aren't dependant on oil changes. My understanding is that if the mileage gets a bit high on the 2 yearly schedule then you get an oil change warning. We're getting the inspection in xx days warning.
As I understand it there are 2 oil change schedules yearly or flexible (2 yr max) which can be set up from new or changed later (I’ve had mine changed to annual).
And there’s the inspection which is an annual check of tyres etc. So I would expect the Inspection xx days to be a count down from the last inspection, which would probably have been carried out at the same time as your oil change, so in your case would be imminent.

To clarify, when you say “data plug” are you referring to the VW Connect one?
in which case plugging it doesn’t reset the van display.

Last edited:
There is an MFD rest/clearing route.
Transporter but similar

On 3 years of ownership of our T6 set for long life service I have found we get a oil change service computer message at about 15 k which works out about once a year for me. In the real world reality even set for 2 yearly services an annual service is what our van asks for and gets I am happy how it works out for us with a yearly change of oil.

And I thought my initial answer was pretty self evident and simple. Obviously too simple. NO means NO.

I then went on to say that some OBD dongles may be able.

There is an MFD rest/clearing route.
Transporter but similar
I think that only resets the Oil and Inspection MFD warnings, it doesn’t change from Annual to Long Life Service intervals.

Back