Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dogs in california

Sp0_0k

Sp0_0k

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
How do you guys travel with dogs?
Do you have a rigid box/kennel for your pets? Or do you leave them sleeping wherever during the ride?

Check out the dog section on the forum;)

Moved to the Cali Dogs forum :)

Ours travel in a harness that the seatbelt clips through, they effectively sit on the back seat.

I personally wouldn't use a crate/kennel unless I knew it was crash tested and rated. I saw some test videos of standard boxes being crash tested which put me off ever using them to be honest. Also put me off using the boot, hence they are now spoilt ;).

Mine likes the footwell passenger side where she's happy to stay,especially on a hot day when the aircon is on
Could be very dangerous if dog decides to move to drivers footwell when your driving though
Not sure where the law is on this issue but seem to remember reading animals being crated or harnessed?

Alan

A visit to the pet shop for a travel restraint after reading above
Also thinking about this, there's your motor insurance to take into account in the event of an accident if your pet hasn't been restraint !

Moved to the Cali Dogs forum :)

Ours travel in a harness that the seatbelt clips through, they effectively sit on the back seat.
+1 for this method (allthough not in a cali yet, but in the car).
The one I have clips directly onto the harness rather than the seat belt going through it

We had ones that could go into the seatbelt socket direct or have the seatbelt through it too but didnt have a spinning connector. We found when we had them plugged in directly even for small spaniels they were a bit too short and the dogs ended up very restricted and would get tighter if they turned around. Spaniels arent renowned for sitting still haha.

We now have some new ones that have a small fastener that goes over the belt and quickly clips onto their chest harness, it means getting them in and out is so quick and easy and the clips have a spinning connector so if they rotate or turn around they don't get an ever shorter strap or a tightening chest harness. Makes our life easier loading and unloading too. :) The spinning connector imho is a must.

Certain rules in the Highway Code are legal requirements and are identified by the words ‘must’ or ‘must not’. In these cases, the rules also include references to the corresponding legislation. Offenders may be cautioned, given licence penalty points, fined, banned from driving, or imprisoned, depending on the severity of the offence.

Although failure to comply with the other rules would not, in itself, cause a person to be prosecuted, the Highway Code may be used in court under the Road Traffic Act to establish liability. These include advisory rules with wording ‘should’ and ‘should not’ or ‘do’ and ‘do not’. In general, only the latest official printed version of the Highway Code should be used but in legal proceedings, whether civil or criminal, the version current at the time of the incident would apply.

I would be interested to know which harnesses other people are using and how effective you find them for safely - and comfortably - restraining your dogs...

One of my girls always travels on the rear bench wearing a Bergan Car Harness, which is crash tested with reasonable results. However, she has managed to wriggle out of it on a couple of occasions, whilst it was still attached to the seatbelt - only when stationary fortunately, and she thought I was too slow in getting her out for a run! I am concerned that she may get out of the harness whilst I'm driving though, so I have been looking at other brands. The trouble is, most are either not crash tested at all or they are but with terrible results.

The best that my research has flagged up is the Ruffwear Load Up car harness - is anyone using one of these by any chance? If so, have you found any issues with it?

My other canine camper travels in a 'soft' crate (Croft Classic Soft Crate) wedged between the back of the passenger seat and the rear bench (where it doubles up as a bumper for Hermione as it is slightly higher than the bench. If travelling with all four dogs (generally only shorter journeys for walks etc) then the additional two travel in a huge soft crate in the boot area.

Maud :)

Hi - looking for some help please - we are away with our dog in the cali and don’t have the handbook with us! We want to lock our van with our dog inside without setting the alarm off (70 plate 6.1 Ocean). There is no button on the B Pillar (we have watched California Chris). Anyone know a solution to this? Thanks

Yep, go into the settings & there is a box to untick. Interior monitoring but it's under another heading, which we can't remember offhand...

On a T6 you can double tap the locking button on the remote and that locks the vehicle without setting the alarm. Listen for three clunks as it locks, then you know it is locked but not alarmed. Reverts to normal mode when you unlock it. One negative though is that it’s not deadlocked in this setting. I think it’s the same as when you lock the van with the interior button at night.

I think it’s the same on a T6.1 but it’s easily checked.

I think they adapt to van life well....

Little bugger claims the middle of the bed.
279483280_10166713483210405_1844456344226124112_n.jpg

Interestingly, we were just out acclimatisating the mutts to the new van & the whippets wanted to get into the poptop...