Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Don't leave your bedding in the roof or this will happen

I see there is a sticker on the diesel filler flap, must be a hire vehicle. That's going to lose you your deposit!

Look a the pic closely, the bellows are caught in the scissors so it's not necessarily anything been left in the roof space.
I feel for them :(

I thought the T6 had a new type of bellows that does not get jammed in the scissors? Bet they wish they purchased a bungee!!

I see there is a sticker on the diesel filler flap, must be a hire vehicle. That's going to lose you your deposit!

When you get your Cali, don't try putting diesel into that particular orifice. (Sorry, cheap shot but I couldn't resist...:Grin)

[EDIT] Doh, just looked again and yes there's a sticker on the diesel filler flap as well as the words above the water filler. Joke is on me then. :confused::(

Last edited:
I agree with Shaun. Trapped roof in the bellows. We tried leaving a dwon sleeping bag in the roof but it just stopped coming down rather than bending the roof. I guess the pressure sensor should take care of it. Must be pretty sensitive.

Reg is NX16 same as ours. Could be on hire from Lookers in Newcastle

WG has shown that trapping fabric is not just a problem for Cali SEs and Oceans, BUT manual roofs just tend to knick the fabric when they get trapped. Manual roofs don't continue to drive down once they hit a snag, and the difference between the systems is well illustrated in the photos.
The problem with older manual roofs was always the latching, not the actual raising and lowering, so it is fair to question why VW chose to persist with a powered solution after 12 years of exactly this type of damage.

Maybe some sort of sliding fan like guard needs designing to prevent the bellows from getting in between?

WG has shown that trapping fabric is not just a problem for Cali SEs and Oceans, BUT manual roofs just tend to knick the fabric when they get trapped. Manual roofs don't continue to drive down once they hit a snag, and the difference between the systems is well illustrated in the photos.
The problem with older manual roofs was always the latching, not the actual raising and lowering, so it is fair to question why VW chose to persist with a powered solution after 12 years of exactly this type of damage.
To some extent I agree, but you can take your finger OFF the button before you get to that stage shown in the original photograph.
I cannot believe that something similar cannot happen with a manual roof when you are pulling it down if you don't take care to ensure the fabric is folding correctly, after all the Beach has the same type of Scissor hinge at the rear and it is this hinge that is responsible not the forward Hydraulic ram/arm.

To some extent I agree, but you can take your finger OFF the button before you get to that stage shown in the original photograph.
Agreed, the photo above shows what can happen if you don't follow the manufacturers guidelines. Obviously a rental vehicle and the perfect example of how not to lower a roof.
Members who hire out their Cali beware.

Don't know why VW with their vast R&D resources can't get things right. We had Mazda Bongos before Calis and never heard of a Bongo roof getting trapped in the scissors. They have electric as opposed to electrohydraulic mechanisms so one less thing to go wrong. Proper waterproof fabric as well, no need for a topper. Talking to a Cali owner last weekend with a three year old van and the roof keeps dropping by itself despite weeks spent in various dealers trying to sort it.
Love the Cali but VW do seem to make things more complicated than necessary. Likewise with the control panel etc.

I still don't understand the need for this roof. It goes to show how somethings are over-engineered...!!!

The reason this wouldn't happen with a manual roof is because you would feel the resistance when pulling it down.
I bet if Volkswagen offered the Ocean with a manual roof and a £2k discount. More Oceans would be sold with the manual.
Manual roofs have been around for nearly 40 years, damage is usually down to user error.

I still don't understand the need for this roof. It goes to show how somethings are over-engineered...!!!

The reason this wouldn't happen with a manual roof is because you would feel the resistance when pulling it down.
I bet if Volkswagen offered the Ocean with a manual roof and a £2k discount. More Oceans would be sold with the manual.
Manual roofs have been around for nearly 40 years, damage is usually down to user error.
Don't disagree about having a manual roof option but I think you will find that majority of snagging on oceans is also operator error.

Also with the manual roof, you have to have your head up through the hatch to be able to grab and pull on the bar to lower the roof. You can see what is going on all the time it is being lowered and adjust the fabric as required.