Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Don't leave your bedding in the roof or this will happen

I still don't understand the need for this roof. It goes to show how somethings are over-engineered...!!!

The reason this wouldn't happen with a manual roof is because you would feel the resistance when pulling it down.
I bet if Volkswagen offered the Ocean with a manual roof and a £2k discount. More Oceans would be sold with the manual.
Manual roofs have been around for nearly 40 years, damage is usually down to user error.
They do, in Europe but I believe the overall spec is lower.
I take issue with your point that damaging the canvas with a manual is less likely. As you stated it is usually user error and there are a number of gizmos sold to stop canvas damage on manual roofs so the problem is not confined to just the hydraulic variety.

Also with the manual roof, you have to have your head up through the hatch to be able to grab and pull on the bar to lower the roof. You can see what is going on all the time it is being lowered and adjust the fabric as required.
And you can do the same on the hydraulic, but instead of pulling on the bar you're pressing a button and it only lowers when the button is pressed.

I think the point is that whether it's powered or not it should be reasonably foolproof for anyone to operate. It's not rocket science to make a roof that closes without trapping the fabric. As I said previously never heard of it on a Bongo and there are probably more Bongos presently in this country than Calis.
Do vans with after market roofs have the same problem?

The advantage of the electric roof is obvious when you carry a roof box filled to the max weight … ;-)

The advantage of the electric roof is obvious when you carry a roof box filled to the max weight … ;-)

This explains the roof closing issue on some oceans;)

The reason for the fabric being caught in the scissor hinge is because it needs more machined creases to help pull it in. I have trapped mine in the past and I honestly thought the bungee added to the problem. It folds the fabric in, at the wrong places.
I'm convinced I wouldn't trap my roof fabric again because as I pull it half down, I pull in the sides towards the back adjacent the hinges. Once this pulls in the front follows and hey-presto.

Surely the main problem is that the hinge scissor mechanism is exactly that.

If Vw put a gap/clearance between the parts of the hinge that cross over then a scissor action wouldn't occur.

If clearance was provided then it doesn't matter what system is used manual, electric even nuclear.

If the gap allowed the fabric fit between the arms of the hinge then any damage would be avoided.

As I am getting a cali, and am a beginner, next year I have been wondering what if anything you can leave in the roof when lowered? Duvet, pillows for example? Would be grateful for any tips.

As I am getting a cali, and am a beginner, next year I have been wondering what if anything you can leave in the roof when lowered? Duvet, pillows for example? Would be grateful for any tips.

Hi Stephen, there is loads on the forum on this topic, it crops up time and again eg here:
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/storage-in-roof-bed.14540/

The short answer however is no, you can't leave bedding (or anything else more than a few mm thick, eg a bottom sheet although some people have found it okay with a very thin mattress topper) upstairs when you put the roof down. The title of this thread should be taken seriously ;)

Once parked up for the evening you can however lay your duvet, pillows etc out on the roof bed and push the whole lot up with the 'ceiling' while you're pottering about downstairs. That is Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for us in Velma.

To some extent I agree, but you can take your finger OFF the button before you get to that stage shown in the original photograph.
I cannot believe that something similar cannot happen with a manual roof when you are pulling it down if you don't take care to ensure the fabric is folding correctly, after all the Beach has the same type of Scissor hinge at the rear and it is this hinge that is responsible not the forward Hydraulic ram/arm.

You didn't have quite the same problem with the manual T4 Westies because the roof was held up by hydraulic struts that were internal ( a bit like on the bed in the T5) and the bellows was on the outside.

There were two problems though, firstly the bellows used to hang outside after it was closed so you had to walk round and tuck it in and then, as T4WFA said you had to latch it. And, until you got the knack that could be a major problem. We bent our latch mechanism in Spain and had to go to a VW garage for help. Very good too, Two blokes, 20 minutes work and no charge. (They probably thought that we were stupid Inglaterras so needed all the help we could get!)

We don't sleep up there so cannot comment on putting bedding there but we do use the California windscreen and side window covers. The windscreen cover is big but light so it It is easy to remove and slide straight up through the ceiling opening and in it goes on the bed there. Also the two side window covers. They are no thickness and fit well, and it saves you having a nervous breakdown trying to fold them up in the morning.
And, like Velma's dad you can lift the upper bed with them in place during the day to give you headroom.

They do, in Europe but I believe the overall spec is lower.

Seem to hearing more and more how others over the water have a lot more variety and options when ordering a California.
It's a shame we don't get the full option list here in the U.K.
I have wondered about trying to order in another country and then importing over. But I'm sure it's to much hassle to be worth considering.

Seem to hearing more and more how others over the water have a lot more variety and options when ordering a California.
It's a shame we don't get the full option list here in the U.K.
I have wondered about trying to order in another country and then importing over. But I'm sure it's to much hassle to be worth considering.

Not so long ago, when the value of the pound was really dire (no, I'm not starting anything), it was not unusual to buy caravans and motor homes from abroad. There was a motor home place in Belgium who used to regularly advertise in MMM. At Ploegsville or some where like that.
Another reason to do it was that the choice was greater over there then, so it is feasible, but there is hassle involved, insurances and registration and so on, so it is a moot point whether it is all worthwhile.

I think the big difference between a manual and electric closing roof is they can both damage the bellows fabric (which can easily be repaired) but the electric hydraulic system if the bellows gets trapped will do big damage to the aluminion roof whereas manually closing you might nick the canvas but you'd stop yourself before you could damage the roof

Never had an issue with the bellows in either my T4 manaul roof Cali or T5 hydraulic roof Cali. The list of other roof problems with the hydraulic roof is endless. I'd love to see VW provide a manual roof as standard and electric/hydraulic as an option. Even vice-versa I'd take the manual roof any time. So much faster and easier. Boing, it's up, tug, it's down.

Never had an issue with the bellows in either my T4 manaul roof Cali or T5 hydraulic roof Cali. The list of other roof problems with the hydraulic roof is endless. I'd love to see VW provide a manual roof as standard and electric/hydraulic as an option. Even vice-versa I'd take the manual roof any time. So much faster and easier. Boing, it's up, tug, it's down.

Wish I could give this post more than one feedback rating ;)
Spot on:cheers

I wonder how long it will be before some enterprising folks develop a kit that allows the SE roof hydraulics to be replaced with simple gas struts? Wouldn't imagine it's a huge task, but I'm not sure how you'd secure the lowered roof.

I wonder how long it will be before some enterprising folks develop a kit that allows the SE roof hydraulics to be replaced with simple gas struts? Wouldn't imagine it's a huge task, but I'm not sure how you'd secure the lowered roof.
I would buy that

amazing how you all can see what happened to the roof from this picture ?! from the damage to the alu roof it looks like someone tried to open the roof with a crowbar to me ..

amazing how you all can see what happened to the roof from this picture ?! from the damage to the alu roof it looks like someone tried to open the roof with a crowbar to me ..

If not there's something on top of the bed you can not see....i think the title of this tread is a bit wrong...
But however there's something caught in the roof mechanism , very clear visible in the picture , most likely the roofcanvas has popt outside while closing .
Take it from me , it happens in the blink of an eye , a had my canvas trapped even with a bungee strap . In Norway the weather was that bad i left all the doors closed while closing the roof , stupid me ....a dent in my roof , lucky nothing like in this picture above.
The other side seems to be in a lower position.