Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Downsizing my wheels

M

MrSteve

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hello, apologies if this has been asked before I had a quick look but couldn't find...

I currently have a much loved 2018 Ocean with 18-in VW alloys and I would like to improve the ride so I'm thinking of replacing them with 16 or 17-in probably steel wheels with taller tires. I'm happy to sacrifice a bit of handling in return for a quieter and smoother ride. Has anyone done this? what were the results? and lastly am I bonkers?

Many thanks in advance

16’s won’t fit over your calipers so will have to be 17’s. Good move IMHO, big wheels are pointless with the state of the roads today.

Hello, apologies if this has been asked before I had a quick look but couldn't find...

I currently have a much loved 2018 Ocean with 18-in VW alloys and I would like to improve the ride so I'm thinking of replacing them with 16 or 17-in probably steel wheels with taller tires. I'm happy to sacrifice a bit of handling in return for a quieter and smoother ride. Has anyone done this? what were the results? and lastly am I bonkers?

Many thanks in advance
If you have an Ocean then you can only downsize to 17" wheels as 16" wheels will not fit the larger brake calipers on the front wheels.
Tyre walls contribute significantly to ride comfort and handling.
You will notice an improvement on 17" wheels and you can carry a spare wheel + tyre.

Rather than steels, look out for a new set of Davenports from someone ‘upgrading’ to bling wheels. Should be able to bag a new set for circa £500. Just make sure they have the 235 tyres if you want comfort rather than 215’s.

Fantastic advice, thanks everyone, I'm on the right lines. You've saved me pondering 16's so that's very much appreciated! I'll look for some Daveports although I fancy some dark bronze painted steelies to to with my grey with bits of orange scheme.

Thanks!!

Fantastic advice, thanks everyone, I'm on the right lines. You've saved me pondering 16's so that's very much appreciated! I'll look for some Daveports although I fancy some dark bronze painted steelies to to with my grey with bits of orange scheme.

Thanks!!
I would love to see those wheels (the painted steelies, davenports I see a lot).

I have just done the very same. Fitted the T5 steels that your picture shows, silver though.
Went for 235/55 17 103 Crossclimate 2. The ride has been transformed and I’m very pleased. Came from 18 Palmerstons.
That's great to hear. I've been waiting for the tyres to need changing, MOT looms so that's given my the kick up the backside I need.

Seems to me, a VW California needs a smooth quite ride much more than it needs pinpoint steering response!

That's great to hear. I've been waiting for the tyres to need changing, MOT looms so that's given my the kick up the backside I need.

Seems to me, a VW California needs a smooth quite ride much more than it needs pinpoint steering response!
Let us know how you get on.

Fitting 235/55/18 tyres is an option that increases sidewall height and will put speedo very close to accurate, no speed camera margin.
Good range of tyre brand options and pricing good.

I fit steel winters each year and both myself and the wife like the look and the comfort.

20181215_105128.jpg

Back