Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electric Sockets and Connectors

Re: Christmas Presents

Original post Martin

It plugs in the inverter socket behind the passenger seat to convert it to UK rather than Euro handy for laptop chargers etc... when you are not on hook up, Kev has one for sale in the Marketplace section.

Original post Blakey

Thanks Martin.

I'm not with the Cali right now and haven't opened that socket to peek inside so apologies for the probably obvious questions, but:

1. Isn't that the same as a good old fashioned european adaptor? Turning a 2 pin plug hole into a 3 pin plug hole?
2. Does that run off the leisure battires then? Using some sort of inverter? Any info on the maximum wattage it will deal with?

Thanks!

Original post Calikev

Blakey its not the same as the normal round 2pin this one is diamond shape
Lift your flap and have a look as for wattage it's only 150 w
I use it for the kids DVD player anything that doesn't use to much power
Laptop phone chargers etc
I have now sold my one because I have changed the socket to a normal 3 pin

Original post Blakey

Oct 26, 2011, 1:34pm, Calikev wrote: Blakey its not the same as the normal round 2pin this one is diamond shape
Lift your flap and have a look as for wattage it's only 150 w
I use it for the kids DVD player anything that doesn't use to much power
Laptop phone chargers etc
I have now sold my one because I have changed the socket to a normal 3 pin

Okay, thanks.

We charge all our phones and ipods etc off the 12v sockets so I don't think we need this.

How did you change the socket? Some electrical wizardy?

Original post Calikev

I new someone would ask that
The little euro socket has a small light that comes on when you plug your adapter in
This is a safety device to stop things being poked in the holes by kids etc
To do it properly you need a 12v switch as well as a 3pin socket
The switch will then make the socket live. You remove the euro socket separate the 2little black wires and connect them to either side of the switch you then make a small hole in the side panel to fit the little green neon light that then leaves you 2 wires a brown and a blue
These go into the new 3pin socket. If you look in the photo section on the Facebook page there is a picture of the finished job. It sounds a lot more complicated than it really is
Now when I switch on the 12v switch the little green light comes on so I know the socket is live and prevents me leaving it on
Hope I haven't confused you

View attachment 11802

Original post Calikev

Hope this helps

tuc1FCOo_kqoRxDn0dsY.jpg

Original post Blakey

Nice mod! Shame this isn't standard for UK Calis.

Hi Blakey you have been promoted to a full member .

The Cali sockets can get confusing.

There are two behind the passenger seat on the side of the cooker unit.

One of these is a 12v Hella socket.

The second is your main 240v euro socket which only comes on when you connect to a mains hook up.

Because of the cover it is hard to find a euro adapter to fit. So here are some other options.

Replace with a standard single UK socket you can find these that are the same size and match.

Remove cover so you can fit any euro travel adapters.

Make up your own extension lead with a euro male plug and a UK extension socket.

On the passenger side A pillor there is a diamond shape socket. This is the inverter output so you can run 240v low current devices with out mains hook up. I don't have this on my van so someone else may give you more info on it

Finally there are two other 12v sockets a standard cig. lighter plug socket mounted by the rear seat ( hard to get to ) and on some Cali's a 12v Mag Code socket in the rear luggage compartment wall.

Hope this helps.

Original post Blakey

I'm not at the van now but the one on the right as you look at it is a 240v UK 3-pin socket in our Cali. We plugged the laptop into it at the weekend. It only came online when we were hooked up to the mains.

I *think* the left socket is a standard 12v.

Does that make sense?

Original post freeley

Oct 26, 2011, 9:57pm, John wrote: Thats correct Blakey but be aware that the left 12v socket takes Hella plugs. You can get adapters cables to fit to cig. lighter plugs or get Hella plugs from Maplins.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/15-amp-standard ... lug-217741

I use a hella adaptor as well, use it for my 12v TV.

Original post Blakey

Bah. I went and bought that adaptor from Maplins, without checking out the stupid Cali first - I even drove the Cali to the shops! This morning I went and looked in the van. As far as I can tell we have a bog standard 3-pin UK plug on the side of the kitchen. Next to that we have a 12v standard socket - like the one up front. So no Hella thingy anywhere in sight as far as I can tell.

I have the face lift model, are you guys who have the hella socket driving pre-facelifts? I know John is....

Cheers!
Blakey

Original post Calikev

Blakey my facelift has at the end of the kitchen unit a uk 3pin socket and next to that a 12v
Round socket, and on the passenger side door pillar was the 2pin euro socket that I changed there is also 2 12v sockets in the back

Original post Calikev

Oct 28, 2011, 7:48am, Calikev wrote: Blakey my facelift has at the end of the kitchen unit a uk 3pin socket and next to that a 12v
Round socket, and on the passenger side door pillar was the 2pin euro socket that I changed there is also 2 12v sockets in the back

Yeah, that's exactly what I have. So the 12v round socket on the kitchen cupboard is a normal 12v socket like a ciggie lighter, right?

Original post v3rn - Nic & Helena

I have a facelift model and I have just standard 12v sockets all through the van (dashboard, end of sink unit, under rear seat by door, boot). No Hella socket in my van.

There is 1 euro socket available all the time through the inverter and 1 3 pin socket only available on hookup.

Cheers, Nic.

Original post Blakey

Okay, so I need to take that adaptor back to Maplins then!

Original post Calikev

Oct 28, 2011, 7:53am, Blakey wrote:
Oct 28, 2011, 7:48am, Calikev wrote: Blakey my facelift has at the end of the kitchen unit a uk 3pin socket and next to that a 12v

Yeah, that's exactly what I have. So the 12v round socket on the kitchen cupboard is a normal 12v socket like a ciggie lighter, right?

Yes my 12v socket by the kitchen unit is a normal 12v I use it for charging my phone overnight with my in car charger

Thanks Blakey for that, yes it looks like they have made life a lot easier on the face-lift Cali's fitting a UK 3 pin mains socket and a cig. lighter 12v socket.

Can't be long untill you start your Portugal trip

Original post Blakey

Oct 28, 2011, 2:01pm, John wrote: Can't be long untill you start your Portugal trip.

1 week tomorrow! Yay!

Original post Martin

23 degrees and sunny on the Algarve this week, I hope the weather holds out for you.