Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Engine stop/brakes won’t release?

sidepod

sidepod

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
I thought I was imagining it/doing something wrong but it’s happened three times now.

Pulling up and stop close to vehicle/gate/wall and stop engine.
Engine refuses to restart. Several attempts and it starts.
Attempt to move and brakes are jammed on. Only way to get it to move is a boot full which eventually frees the brakes but with wheel spin.

Is this something to do with the obstacle avoidance nonsense?

So if I understand this correctly: As soon as your boot is full, the brakes are free again and you get a wheel spin. Right? Is it your right or your left boot? Or doesn’t it make any difference? With what did you fill the boot? Do all the wheels spin? This is truly puzzling… My advise > RTFM

I thought I was imagining it/doing something wrong but it’s happened three times now.

Pulling up and stop close to vehicle/gate/wall and stop engine.
Engine refuses to restart. Several attempts and it starts.
Attempt to move and brakes are jammed on. Only way to get it to move is a boot full which eventually frees the brakes but with wheel spin.

Is this something to do with the obstacle avoidance nonsense?
I think I know what you are referring to - my Cali and BMW both do this. It’s the emergency braking when it senses an obstacle.

It can be alarming and downright dangerous when it slams the anchors on for no reason.

You can switch off the manoeuvre braking temporarily on the infotainment screen by pressing the icon on the parking graphic.

Or you can permanently disable it in the settings on the same unit.

I'm not sure if this is the cause in your case but give it a shot. I'll post a screenshot here shortly.

Edit: I can't find the relevant graphic but look for an icon with a brake drum and the letter A in it with a traffic cone. Here's from the manual:

1000065418.png

Last edited:
So if I understand this correctly: As soon as your boot is full, the brakes are free again and you get a wheel spin. Right? Is it your right or your left boot? Or doesn’t it make any difference? With what did you fill the boot? Do all the wheels spin? This is truly puzzling… My advise > RTFM
??? Boot full as in stand on the throttle.

??? Boot full as in stand on the throttle.
I'm sure @Pollewop knows perfectly well what you are talking about. I'm surprised that you can't recognise a bit of gentle p**s taking. Anyway, it made me smile. and it looks like you've got your answer and within two and a half hours. The forum strikes again.

You details have you listed as a T4 PopTop owner??

I found the setting eventually, Manoeuvre Assist. Switched off !!!

My beach used to sh1t itself every time I reversed onto the drive because there was a slight incline and the road approached the front too quickly causing all the front parking sensors to give the driver a coronary, still it isn't as much fun as my mercedes which hates cyclists, grass in fact anything that it believes it is going to collide with, it beeps, tightens the seatbelts and prepares everyone for sudden death, then steers itself round the bend! Although it will sacrifice the cyclist rather than cross the whiteline

Back