Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Can I disable the stop/start function?

Biglad

Biglad

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Does anyone know if it's possible to disable the stop start function on my T6? I find it is inconvenient and dangerous especially if you're briefly pulling up at a junction then trying to pull out into a gap in the traffic and the damned engine has to restart again. I know I should remember to press the button each time I start the van but sometimes I forget.

Yes there is a button on the dash you will need to press it every time you restart the engine as it will come back on by default

Sorry didn't read the full post. Not sure if it can be switched off in vcds sorry

Does anyone know if it's possible to disable the stop start function on my T6? I find it is inconvenient and dangerous especially if you're briefly pulling up at a junction then trying to pull out into a gap in the traffic and the damned engine has to restart again. I know I should remember to press the button each time I start the van but sometimes I forget.
Might be possible through VCDS, the VW computer system, but VW won’t do it as it is part of the emissions system.

Dealers won't do it, health and safety
I had a looking vcds but couldn't find it. I think Loz may have done it though.

Is it not part of the system to cut down on pollution?

Allegedly yes but stopping and starting all he time will create more pollution not less.
It's there to help the manufacturers keep their assumed CO2 levels down.

Yes, I do understand it's part of the emissions thing (VW are known for their clean emissions ) but I wondered if I was missing out on a trick that other people knew about so you don't have to lean across and switch it off manually every time you start the engine.

Yes, I do understand it's part of the emissions thing (VW are known for their clean emissions ) but I wondered if I was missing out on a trick that other people knew about so you don't have to lean across and switch it off manually every time you start the engine.

I had a similar conversation over the system in my Touran. Being an auto it will start/stop more than a manual which you can just keep in gear. What I was told, and does work now I have practiced, is that if you pull up gently it the start/stop does not kick in. You can then press firmly to stop the engine if you feel it is appropriate.

So this change in driving style does reduce significantly the times start stop kicks in at junctions. After a short while it became second nature and I don't feel like I am driving Miss Daisy anymore. Whether it is practical in a Cali I don't know until VW finally decide to put my Cali on a ship and send it to Grimsby... sorry had a moment then :).

Hope that helps.

I had a similar conversation over the system in my Touran. Being an auto it will start/stop more than a manual which you can just keep in gear. What I was told, and does work now I have practiced, is that if you pull up gently it the start/stop does not kick in. You can then press firmly to stop the engine if you feel it is appropriate.

So this change in driving style does reduce significantly the times start stop kicks in at junctions. After a short while it became second nature and I don't feel like I am driving Miss Daisy anymore. Whether it is practical in a Cali I don't know until VW finally decide to put my Cali on a ship and send it to Grimsby... sorry had a moment then :).

Hope that helps.
Works exactly like that on my T5.1 SE. Can't vouch for the T6.

Hope that helps.
I have a DSG T6 and this is exactly how it works. You have to press pretty firmly on the brake for the stop function to kick in. Releasing the pressure starts the engine but keeps the vehicle stationary until you lift off the brake.

Get in the vehicle and press the switch-off button. It's never been an issue with me. I don't like it because with twin turbo's whirring away just knocking the engine off can be potentially damaging. However I am sure that VW have built safeguards in.

Nope can’t be done in software, believe me I have worked hard on this one, VW have gone out of their way to stop us.
I found some coding for a golf with the same modules and there were 2 ways of fooling it by either changing the minimum battery voltage to something higher and the the other was to do something similar to the min temperature but VW have kindly removed these channels in our newer gatway module.

There are a group in Australia on the aircooled forum who have devised a small circuit the simulates the pressing of the button just after starting.

Loz, just wondering if instead of trying with code it would be easier to fit an ignition operated relay that simulates the switch. I'll have a play when I get back to the uk

My experience of the start/stop is that it's an OK feature on a manual transmission vehicle but sadly not so on an auto.
With a manual any brief stop or longer one for that matter can be managed by keeping the clutch depressed.
However on an auto it cuts the engine at mini roundabouts or T junctions and is a right pain in those situations.
I am happy that it is not dangerous. Inconvenient though? yes.
However I will also forget to turn it off but only the once per journey so no big deal.

Loz, just wondering if instead of trying with code it would be easier to fit an ignition operated relay that simulates the switch. I'll have a play when I get back to the uk
Yes, that’s what the aussi guys have made.

My experience of the start/stop is that it's an OK feature on a manual transmission vehicle but sadly not so on an auto.
With a manual any brief stop or longer one for that matter can be managed by keeping the clutch depressed.
However on an auto it cuts the engine at mini roundabouts or T junctions and is a right pain in those situations.
I am happy that it is not dangerous. Inconvenient though? yes.
However I will also forget to turn it off but only the once per journey so no big deal.

I really don't have this issue. It only happens if I have to make a more sharp stop e.g. when other drivers don't indicate. Other than that I find with my use of the throttle I can largely control when it kicks in. This is in a Touran so it may be different in a Cali.

I really don't have this issue. It only happens if I have to make a more sharp stop e.g. when other drivers don't indicate. Other than that I find with my use of the throttle I can largely control when it kicks in. This is in a Touran so it may be different in a Cali.
No different.

Mine cut out while coasting on a hill while my wife was driving. She dipped the clutch the engine auto stop came up on the dash and the power steering died. She nearly crapped herself and i nearly did too.
Vw didnt seem that concerned,

Mine cut out while coasting on a hill while my wife was driving. She dipped the clutch the engine auto stop came up on the dash and the power steering died. She nearly crapped herself and i nearly did too.
Vw didnt seem that concerned,

Theres something not working right for that to happen. I have a long queue down hill to a set of traffic lights on my journey home, the engine stops & I just let the van roll slowly down the hill, (we are talking a cars length every couple of minutes) if the speed goes over about 3mph the engine starts irrespective of whether its in gear or clutch or brake pedal positions.

As an aside coasting in a manual uses more fuel than leaving it in gear. If in gear the wheels turn the engine without using fuel. If in neutral or clutch down the engine needs fuel to idle.

As an aside coasting in a manual uses more fuel than leaving it in gear. If in gear the wheels turn the engine without using fuel. If in neutral or clutch down the engine needs fuel to idle.

Interesting point, I'd never thought about that. I guess the fuel supply is shut off completely when throttle closed on diesel - or indeed a modern fuel injected petrol system?

(Not the case on an old carb-equipped engined however, as the fuel continues to be sucked through regardless... and on a non-electronic ignition system the spark continues as long as the dizzy shaft is still turning).

We sell a box of tricks that reverses the stop start so you would have to press the button only if you want the stop start function to work. I’m a Director for a Transport Refrigeratiion company and we have fitted hundreds. Think about it... you want the back of a van to keep the goods cool and the engine stops at every set of traffic lights. That is a pain so, reverse the switch and you are sorted.
Call Coolkit and they will sell you one with instructions on how it is fitted.
www.coolkit.co.uk/blog/stop start-solution-fridge-van-conversions will tell you about it.

Call 0333 256 8972.

Farl

We need more details and pricing as I think there will be huge demand for this.....but we'll want confidence it won't screw the warranty or look messy. Feeling hopeful as I hate my stop start. I can 'beat' it often with the brake lifting described, but I really don't want that level of focus on every drive.

Back