Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Stop/Start function - starting to stop me using it.

Mine is a dream. It’s a manual so if I don’t want it to switch off I leave the clutch depressed and only release if I think I will be a while.

I too can see it not operating if certain criteria is not met: engine needs to be warm, temperatures inside near the set point and not too much electricity being used so a danger for the battery.

Normal function of the Stop/start function, you probably just never noticed it before. aircon during hot weather can have the same effect.
Just completed an 800 mile round trip ... error indication never stopped !!! must need a lot of battery power !
Have simply logged it with the de4aler as an unresolved warranty issue and asked them to look again when the next service comes around. Like many above I can happily live without it but assume any issues will impact any resale price .....

Initially sounds more like a duff starter battery than a problem with the stop start but that wouldnt give an error as far as I know. Mine simply doesnt stop if the battery isnt good enough (starting takes a lot of juice after all).

Do you charge your batteries via hookup once a month? I always find two things present themselves after I do this...

1) My MPG does seem to increase slightly, due to the bluemotion tech I assume not needing to use the alternator quite so much.
2) The stop start comes on more regularly and predictably.

Will give more regular top up charging a go though on the trip we were on hook up anyway at the campsites,....

cheers. Al

I do software validation on the stop / start system for another manufacturer, so have a bit of background that I can share:

The stop / start system will not work if:
  • The battery voltage is low, or the battery is in poor health
  • The drivers seat belt isn't fastened
  • If there is too much electrical load (wipers, stereo, hair dryer plugged into the 12v socket and the like)
  • The bonnet is open
  • The drivers door is open
  • The brake pressure is too low
  • The brake vacuum pressure is too low (try gently coming off and reapplying the brake a few times when in an autostop and the car will restart!).
  • There is a load on the power steering (try jiggling it when in an auto stop and the car will restart)
  • The A/C is on
  • If there is a wheel speed sensor fault
  • If there is an air bag sensor fault
  • If there is a fault with any of the sensors associated with any of the systems above (brake pressure sensor for example)
  • The stop / start is deactivated on the button (obviously)
  • There is an engine management fault
  • If you've done several stop / starts in a short time - it disables to protect the starter motor from over heating.
  • The outside air temperature is too low or too high (nominal figures are -4 degrees and 40 degrees)
  • If the engine temperature is too high or too low
  • If the engine speed is too high (say, if you are in neutral and just revving for the fun of it!)
  • If DPF regeneration is required
  • If there is low fuel
  • Auto Only: If there is a gearbox fault
  • Manual Only: Not in Neutral / clutch depressed
The list certainly isn't exhaustive; that's just a few off the top of my head.

We also have a bit of code that we can send to dealers to diagnose what the cause of the lack of the stop / start, not sure if VW have this, but its certainly something that others do.

Hope that this helps to shed a bit of light on possible causes of your issue.

Like the original post I do find start/stop annoying especially when in a DSG in a traffic jam. I always turn it off. It is however quite satisfying in town when the engine shuts off and there is a cyclist behind you or pedestrians around. I imagine the 1000's of vehicles around the world shut off at that time. Very satisfying.

I do software validation on the stop / start system for another manufacturer, so have a bit of background that I can share:

The stop / start system will not work if:
  • The battery voltage is low, or the battery is in poor health
  • The drivers seat belt isn't fastened
  • If there is too much electrical load (wipers, stereo, hair dryer plugged into the 12v socket and the like)
  • The bonnet is open
  • The drivers door is open
  • The brake pressure is too low
  • The brake vacuum pressure is too low (try gently coming off and reapplying the brake a few times when in an autostop and the car will restart!).
  • There is a load on the power steering (try jiggling it when in an auto stop and the car will restart)
  • The A/C is on
  • If there is a wheel speed sensor fault
  • If there is an air bag sensor fault
  • If there is a fault with any of the sensors associated with any of the systems above (brake pressure sensor for example)
  • The stop / start is deactivated on the button (obviously)
  • There is an engine management fault
  • If you've done several stop / starts in a short time - it disables to protect the starter motor from over heating.
  • The outside air temperature is too low or too high (nominal figures are -4 degrees and 40 degrees)
  • If the engine temperature is too high or too low
  • If the engine speed is too high (say, if you are in neutral and just revving for the fun of it!)
  • If DPF regeneration is required
  • If there is low fuel
  • Auto Only: If there is a gearbox fault
  • Manual Only: Not in Neutral / clutch depressed
The list certainly isn't exhaustive; that's just a few off the top of my head.

We also have a bit of code that we can send to dealers to diagnose what the cause of the lack of the stop / start, not sure if VW have this, but its certainly something that others do.

Hope that this helps to shed a bit of light on possible causes of your issue.
If the cabin temperature is too high or low, probably the only one I actually knew!

Oh the irony.....it turns off the (apparent) fuel saving technology in order to save fuel !
If the Fuel level drops below a certain point and the engine stops then you cannot restart until you have topped up the fuel tank to exceed the shut-off level. Prior to this you will get a Low Fuel Alarm.
No doubt the same might happen if your Adblue level drops too low.

If the Fuel level drops below a certain point and the engine stops then you cannot restart until you have topped up the fuel tank to exceed the shut-off level. Prior to this you will get a Low Fuel Alarm.
No doubt the same might happen if your Adblue level drops too low.
Never thought of the AdBlue stop/start factor, could be a disaster if you were in the last drop mode to get home or to a refill site when once stopped it won't restart.

Stop/start is still active when Aircon is on. Mine is on all the time and it always SSs.

..me..

Stop/start is still active when Aircon is on. Mine is on all the time and it always SSs.

..me..
Aircon may be on but the pump isn't always engaged and it's that that needs the engine running.
Think of your fridge at home, it only cools periodically.

Mine T6 does the same. It turns off the engine right before the vehicle comes to a complete stop. The speed is so low that I don't consider it dangerous.
And I always keep the feature activated. Off course it is good for the environment, we shouldn't burn fossil fuel if not needed. And I am sure the computer can decide when the conditions are fulfilled to avoid "short trips" and heavier impact on environment than to keep the engine running.

Should get it checked out, shouldn’t turn off before stopping, mine turns off with firm push on brake when I’ve come to a stop. As others have said, a coast and light braking style doesn’t stop the engine, bit of practice and you can control Start/Stop to your liking via the brake pedal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no doubt in my mind that gentle/progressive braking avoids activating the S/S as you come to a stop. I also recognise that it's not always possible to do that and, in which case, the S/S will kick in.

Back