Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Stop/Start function - starting to stop me using it.

Our T6 turns off engine before van is halted if it is left activated. I usually keep it turned off.
Mine does the same, it will turn off while the Cali is coming to a halt, really unnerving at times.

Mine does the same, it will turn off while the Cali is coming to a halt, really unnerving at times.
I've not had that, but it is quick to switch off - particularly annoying when just pausing at a junction. It needs a delay of 2-3 seconds to confirm you have stopped.

Mine T6 does the same. It turns off the engine right before the vehicle comes to a complete stop. The speed is so low that I don't consider it dangerous.
And I always keep the feature activated. Off course it is good for the environment, we shouldn't burn fossil fuel if not needed. And I am sure the computer can decide when the conditions are fulfilled to avoid "short trips" and heavier impact on environment than to keep the engine running.

I quite like the function too. We had it on another car so we're familiar with it and it seems to work well.

I do turn it off if I'm at the front at a busy junction though, just to make sure I can pull away safely.

If you want it disabled automatically, plug in a 13 pin to 7 pin adapter into your tow socket. Of course, you won't be able to turn it on again without removing the adapter!

If you want it disabled automatically, plug in a 13 pin to 7 pin adapter into your tow socket. Of course, you won't be able to turn it on again without removing the adapter!

But then the side assist is also deactivated!

It is theoretically controllable (on the Renault) as it is possible to hold the vehicle stationary with a light pressure on the brake pedal - in which case the start-stop will not operate. Or with a heavier pressure on the brake pedal then the stop-start will activate.

That is exactly how it works on my Beach.

My drive home from the dealer was a very long start/stop trip up the M40 & M1 - I'd about got the hang of it by Leicester Forest & it only ever activates now when I want it to, or occasionally when I have to pull up more sharply than anticipated.

Can't it be switched off by default through the computer?
Tried to have that done on my previous BMW but told that it's part of EU regulations to be fitted and cannot be turned off, by the Dealer. I couldn't even get the stop delay reset.
No doubt someone who can access the Computer by using a Laptop may find a way.

Reversing Camera still works?

Tried to have that done on my previous BMW but told that it's part of EU regulations to be fitted and cannot be turned off, by the Dealer. I couldn't even get the stop delay reset.
No doubt someone who can access the Computer by using a Laptop may find a way.
There are some vcds tweaks for other VW vehicles that involve changing some default values deep inside, eg minimum voltage required to stop/start, which do not disable, but modify the way it works to the point it won't!
Way beyond my kit or bravery levels on a new vehicle...
@Loz also reversed the function of the override button using vcds on his Toureg, so off by default, but you can switch it on when in long queues, etc.

Tried to have that done on my previous BMW but told that it's part of EU regulations to be fitted and cannot be turned off, by the Dealer.

Despite it sounding like a typical dealer fob-off, I suspect in this case it may be correct. I think stop-start is part of Euro 6 spec so permanently disabling it would probably mean the vehicle no longer met type approval for that (just as if you disabled the EGR etc).

13-minutes of my life I'll not get back ... If I got sat next to him on a plane I'd hurl myself out of the hatch.

Launches into why he doesn't like it, then undermines his own argument as to how it'll never wear out a modern fuel-injected engine or damage a battery. Concludes by ignoring what he's just laboriously explained in the middle section.

I'm not one for national stereotypes (as he is ref: Germans) but I'll pass on taking environmental advice from an old-school Aussie.

Does anyone know if there is likely to be a VCDS coding to toggle the on/ off setting on the T6? I cannot find a security code that works yet.

Does anyone know if there is likely to be a VCDS coding to toggle the on/ off setting on the T6? I cannot find a security code that works yet.
Unlikely as it will be part of the Euro 6 programming probably.

I would say, get over to a decent remapper and have it adjusted via the ECU to never activate. Should be fairly simple job for them to do.
I guess it's less of an irritation on a manual vehicle as you can hold the clutch down to prevent it activating.
Manual 1 DSG 0 :D

I find I can stop it happening by how hard I press the brake pedal (Ocean DSG). I found the stop/start annoying at first but have got used to it now. There's always the dash switch to deactivate it...

Charles

I like having it as an option for anytime we are not in repeated stop start traffic as it only delivers clear benefit when it can stay off for a good few seconds or longer. The toggle option so it starts off then can be switched on would be fantastic and would convert it from a burden to a benefit. Hopefully there will be a VCDS way of achieving this soon.

T5 SE 180 - the stop start function error display kept coming on so took it on a last gasp warranty visit to the dealer - according to the technicians the function will disable if the battery level lowers to a certain point :- something that is quite likely in the off season when there is less use . Anyone else had that response ..? as many above I have started to turn it off at the beginning of every trip....

Start stop in my (2017) car is very aggressive and cuts the engine before the wheels have stopped turning; a real PITA. However, the Cali is quite polite and feathering the brake pedal controls it, as earlier described. Maybe they have “improved” start stop on the latest models!

T5 SE 180 - the stop start function error display kept coming on so took it on a last gasp warranty visit to the dealer - according to the technicians the function will disable if the battery level lowers to a certain point :- something that is quite likely in the off season when there is less use . Anyone else had that response ..? as many above I have started to turn it off at the beginning of every trip....
Normal function of the Stop/start function, you probably just never noticed it before. aircon during hot weather can have the same effect.

Start stop in my (2017) car is very aggressive and cuts the engine before the wheels have stopped turning; a real PITA. However, the Cali is quite polite and feathering the brake pedal controls it, as earlier described. Maybe they have “improved” start stop on the latest models!
Previous BMW was the same as is the Wife's new Citroen. Asked the BMW Technician if the delay in switching off could be lengthened time wise but no was the answer.
Especially annoying when trying to find a traffic gap at roundabouts. I usually switch it off unless in a long stop situation.
Not a legal requirement as yet as some new cars don't have it fitted.

Back