Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Europe is open - get yourselves out here.

D

Donald Dub

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
We sailed over to Holland on the Sunday evening (5th July) ferry to Rotterdam. Our original booking to Zeebrugge had been cancelled. Both Hull Zeebrugge ferries have been laid up apparently. I estimate the ferry was only 1/4 full and we were the only camper/motor home/caravan on the ferry and one of the very few families. It was mostly people in prestige cars, no doubt heading south to blow the dust off their Provance or Tuscan Villa and lorry drivers.

We passed through Dutch customs without question, even though there is a ’strongly advised’ 14 day quarantine for UK visitors, though this is waived for those transiting. We passed through Holland, Belgium and into France without issue. All motorway services were requesting that masks ‘should’ be worn but many ignored the advice. We didn’t see a single British camper/motorhom/caravan all they way down to Haute-Savoie and we are now on a French Alps campsite without any British whatsoever. We did see two caravans on the way down (Dutch natrally) and a few French great whites but far, far fewer than you’d expect at this time of year. It seems even the locals are a touch apprehensive about leaving home at the moment. We have been warmly welcomed wherever we go - thanks to the relaxed and very hospitable French. From what I hear the French voluntary 14 day quarantine is not being enforced and no questions have been asked of us. The toilet blocks are open as normal except for a farcical one way system at this particular site. The restaurants and bars are all open as normal in town but the staff are all wearing masks.

We travel down to Haute-Provance on Friday but I don’t want to leave the idle we are in at the moment.

Thanks Donald, very useful intel. We're off in a week's time, down through France and in general direction of northern Italy. Sounds like the campsites will be easy to get pitches, which at this time of year (and being selfish) is a bonus!

We didn’t see a single British camper/motorhom/caravan all they way down to Haute-Savoie and we are now on a French Alps campsite without any British whatsoever. We did see two caravans on the way down (Dutch natrally)
Good to hear there are no Brits whatsoever anywhere. Finally! I'll leave right away. Let me go get my caravan... :upsidedown :pinkbanana:veryfunny j/k

In all seriousness, good info. Expected there wouldnt be a problem at customs but good to hear. Are the sites busy anyway? Or also quieter then normal? Which would be nice.

We sailed over to Holland on the Sunday evening (5th July) ferry to Rotterdam. Our original booking to Zeebrugge had been cancelled. Both Hull Zeebrugge ferries have been laid up apparently. I estimate the ferry was only 1/4 full and we were the only camper/motor home/caravan on the ferry and one of the very few families. It was mostly people in prestige cars, no doubt heading south to blow the dust off their Provance or Tuscan Villa and lorry drivers.

We passed through Dutch customs without question, even though there is a ’strongly advised’ 14 day quarantine for UK visitors, though this is waived for those transiting. We passed through Holland, Belgium and into France without issue. All motorway services were requesting that masks ‘should’ be worn but many ignored the advice. We didn’t see a single British camper/motorhom/caravan all they way down to Haute-Savoie and we are now on a French Alps campsite without any British whatsoever. We did see two caravans on the way down (Dutch natrally) and a few French great whites but far, far fewer than you’d expect at this time of year. It seems even the locals are a touch apprehensive about leaving home at the moment. We have been warmly welcomed wherever we go - thanks to the relaxed and very hospitable French. From what I hear the French voluntary 14 day quarantine is not being enforced and no questions have been asked of us. The toilet blocks are open as normal except for a farcical one way system at this particular site. The restaurants and bars are all open as normal in town but the staff are all wearing masks.

We travel down to Haute-Provance on Friday but I don’t want to leave the idle we are in at the moment.
We are booked to go Harwich to Hook but that’s not until 3rd sept..As at the moment things are changing on a daily basis..Some for the better and some for the worse..We are just in waiting mode and if everything looks safe we will go..if not we won’t as simple as that..

It was only the potential Britishlessness in France that drove me to get on the ferry

Our campsite is around 50% full in my estimation but I’ve never stayed991FE494-8F83-45D9-A75C-46FF6035AF7C.jpeg here before so I don’t know if that’s normal or not. If you thought French roads were quite before Covid you’ll be delighted to drive them today. I set the cruise control at 80 mph just south of Reims and didn’t click it off until Bourg en Bresse.

Thanks for the update, we are booked on the Chunnel for the 30th July staying at a few sites down the Dordogne region for a week or so, really good to get an update on what life is like over the pond.

It was only the potential Britishlessness in France that drove me to get on the ferry

Our campsite is around 50% full in my estimation but I’ve never stayedView attachment 62456 here before so I don’t know if that’s normal or not. If you thought French roads were quite before Covid you’ll be delighted to drive them today. I set the cruise control at 80 mph just south of Reims and didn’t click it off until Bourg en Bresse.
Looks like a lovely spot. Wish you a nice holiday!

Thanks for the update, we are booked on the Chunnel for the 30th July staying at a few sites down the Dordogne region for a week or so, really good to get an update on what life is like over the pond.
Try Le Capeyrou.. recommended by someone else on here.. would love to be back there this summer!

Thanks for update.. may head over late August.

Great info Donald Dub, keep the updates coming. I had written off a France trip this year but now I'm getting quite excited as it seems more and more possible.
Probably like others I'm reading the news and weighing up the risks. For us potential problem areas for safe social distancing are: crossing the channel, campsite facilities and supermarkets. (We haven't been in a UK supermarket since March.)
Anyone else on the continent, tell us how it is.

Looks nice there! We are off for 2 week tour in September and are staying in Chamonix for a few days. Is it worth having a look around Samoens whilst in the area ?
Chamonix - one of our favourite towns. We always stay at Ille des Barrets campsite. Love the atmosphere in the town albeit a little pricey!

We drove down to Forcalquier today as we are staying at an hotel for a couple of nights. On arrival the staff are wearing face masks (as a curtesy to others I think) but apart from that no other restrictions are visible to me. The pool was open as normal and everyone was chilled about social distancing etc. We popped in to Decathlon this morning ( to purchase my annual pair of €4 swimmers that I forget every year - its a tradition) and that’s the only shop that I have visited thus far that has insisted on a face muzzle. The bouncers on the door were enforcing it.

France has moved on from Covid and is getting on with life. Vive la France.

We drove down to Forcalquier today as we are staying at an hotel for a couple of nights. On arrival the staff are wearing face masks (as a curtesy to others I think) but apart from that no other restrictions are visible to me. The pool was open as normal and everyone was chilled about social distancing etc. We popped in to Decathlon this morning ( to purchase my annual pair of €4 swimmers that I forget every year - its a tradition) and that’s the only shop that I have visited thus far that has insisted on a face muzzle. The bouncers on the door were enforcing it.

France has moved on from Covid and is getting on with life. Vive la France.
Hi Donald Dub. A word of warning from an ageing doc, dug up and brought out of retirement because of the Covid Crisis. France may have moved on but the Coronavirus hasn't. The only reason that the numbers have fallen is through social distancing, face masks and hand washing. There is a second wave just waiting around the corner if we pretend that Covid is gone and go back to the way things used to be. Until we have either a vaccine or a cure we need to remain vigilant. Anyway, have a great trip but keep safe!

Samoens is really lovely. Used to stay there at my French exchange ‘s chalet. Her dad was head of tourism in Annecy. Stayed with the Cali in the campsite there beautiful sunsets a couple of years back. Enjoy!

Samoens is really lovely. Used to stay there at my French exchange ‘s chalet. Her dad was head of tourism in Annecy. Stayed with the Cali in the campsite there beautiful sunsets a couple of years back. Enjoy!
Annecy is a beautiful resort, We stayed at the very south of Lake Annecy, in Doussard, in June 2017, Le Lac Bleu, great site with really clean showers etc, fantastic place. Our usually land lubber of a Weimaraner was in the lake every day... beautiful scenery, pretty town.
Really interested in hearing from other Cali travellers, about their experiences abroad, both negative and positive reactions giving us what could possibly sway the stay or go for it mindset.... Like many others, our plans were scuppered this year. Where we planned on being in France for a few months, there may be a chance of heading there in September, providing there’s no 2nd spike and a downward trend in virus figures. Fingers crossed eh?

Fingers crossed it continues.
I’m hoping to head to the Dolomites in September, not sure whether to book the euro tunnel or not, just in case there’s another spike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were looking to stay at 'Le Mer de Glace' site.

Great choice!
We stayed here 5 years ago.
Owner is super friendly, 30 minute easy walk into town or free train ride a few minutes walk from the site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our campsite is around 50% full in my estimation but I’ve never stayedView attachment 62456 here before so I don’t know if that’s normal or not. If you thought French roads were quite before Covid you’ll be delighted to drive them today. I set the cruise control at 80 mph just south of Reims and didn’t click it off until Bourg en Bresse.
Well, you've ruined that for every other Briton

Back