Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Eurotunnel : what's a Cali?

Argo&Liebe

Argo&Liebe

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi, I'm on the Eurotunnel website trying to book. I've read all the threads on the forum and still don't get the idea.

So, what is a California?
Van?
Campervan?
Minibus?

Any other hint?

Thanks

Campervan.
From the Europtunnel site

"Campervan: Any vehicle which includes living accommodation (including (without limitation) seats, table, sleeping, cooking and storage facilities)."

We haven't taken the Cali yet (next month) but with the Bongo they have always checked that the gas is turned off at the bottle so you need to make sure that you can get at it easily.

On my last two trips they have not done gas checks and both ways on one I was not put in with the caravans/motorhomes.

Officially campervan, but I know some people have travelled as a van and got away with it, it is just a gamble if they check at check-in. We have also been lucky to never have a gas check as we normally have all the bikes on the back and they were happy to take our word for it.

Argo&Liebe said:
Ok, but did you book as a campervan ?
Yes, always book as campervan. I have only ever had a gas check on the UK side anyway. French don't seem to bother with H&S.

Hi

Been over many times on the Cali and always book as a van. Never had an issue, and even had a gas check.

HTH

Oli

On our crossing last year we were put in the car lane and as such on the lower deck with normal roof height.
It was tight with about 75mm clearance.
Our bus is under 2M tall (it's lowered etc) but if your Cali is standard with big wheels it may be worth measuring the height.

Find a car park with a 2m steel height barrier and measure it.

If you hear a scraping noise when loading you're probably to high :oops:

S.

It's a car with roof box.
Always done of this way and never had a problem...!!!

We booked as a camper van and came through with no hassle or gas check. Just as we'll as we are carrying two bikes on a towbar carrier.

Note the height restriction is 1.8 metres as you enter the loading lanes so I always take the non height restricted lane for loading. It makes no material difference to the crossing but you arrive with a roof! :laugh2

I used to book as a van, but vans are now directed to the commercial site, so I now book as a camper.

I always have the gas checked, on both sides. If they ask if you are carrying gas and you answer yes, they will check you.

Someone of another VW Forum (not a Cali or camper specific forum ) suggested that to get over the gas check use your digital camera or phone camera with date markings to show that the gas cylinder has been turned off.
Apparently quite a few people have tried it since and have had it accepted by checkers at the ports . Not saying that every checker ( especially a jobsworth ) would accept it but if it saves unpacking the back of the van on just one occasion its a bonus ????

The one and only time we were checked, they simply wanted to see the local isolation valve under the cooker in the cupboard (just behind an emergency Pot Noodle), not the main bottle regulator isolation.

S

Used Tunnel 5 times in past 12 months. First 2 times, not stopped either direction. Most recent 3 times (April, Mat, June) checked every time on UK side and twice on French side. They always wanted to see the gas bottle.

timhutch said:
I used to book as a van, but vans are now directed to the commercial site, so I now book as a camper.

I always have the gas checked, on both sides. If they ask if you are carrying gas and you answer yes, they will check you.

Just disconnect the bottle and take a picture. We recommend this to all our customers :)

No need to unpack just show them the picture

Just booking this years holiday and reading the advice. Fantastic idea on taking a photo of the disconnected gas bottle! Thanks BMVS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Went over at Christmas, when we booked asked for the reg came back as a California, so camper could not book as a van, as for the gas, light the hob turn the tap off under the sink unit and wait till the flames go out, then if asked asked them to try and light the hob, we did not get checked this time don't know about the French side came back on the ferry :thumb

Yet another advantage to the Beach. It's classed as a car :cool:

Used Tesco's points/vouchers to pay; £1 voucher = £3 Tunnel payment. However, it does mean you have to book via the phone and when my registration was entered we came up as a Campervan, even so, still a bargin with the vouchers. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

soulstyledevon said:

If it is over 1.83m that will not matter re Eurotunnel. You are either under or over regardless of what you are called.

GrannyJen said:
soulstyledevon said:

If it is over 1.83m that will not matter re Eurotunnel. You are either under or over regardless of what you are called.

It's classed as a car with a roof box. As such is priced as car with a roof box.

Been over 3 times this way :thumb

Which is an £11 supplement, the same as I pay. Even mini's with roof boxes travel in the same carriage as me.

Shame to slum it :(

Back