Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Factory build’s - How long did yours take (2023)?

Do you think the dealer has any influence?
No influence as such. I placed an order over the phone and they didn’t put it on the system until a whole week later. The Dealer made no contact during the whole five months so they didn’t inspire me with confidence. I initiated the contact every time. Not great really.

If it is a spec thing and vw are batching certain features could people state the spec they have chosen please. So colour, engine, and if not standard - media, seat trim, flooring and bellow colour. Thus may help others to best guess delivery

I do know for a fact that most dealers have a 'privileged' list or similarly named. So if you have a decent buyer profile, (ie you frequently buy many cars from the dealer) then the dealer can lean on the manufacturer. This is more common with the prestige brands such as Ferrari, Rolls Royce etc and can shortcut your waiting lists or get more limited edition models, but if you're a prolific buyer from your local VW dealer you could expect more expedient service...
Nice thoughts, but historically it’s not been that way with VW, for the customers or the dealers. No prioritisation for ordering or delivery from a factory order. It’s first come first served.

Order finalised 7th August picked up 30th October (although originally pressed the button on DTD almost a week before that) so ~3 months.
Spec is 204 PS, wood effect floor, art velours seats and lots of other small things which I imagine make little difference (cross climate tyres with lower profile, heated windscreen, safe box in wardrobe, 2nd drawer in bench seat, comfort mattress) - standard bellows, pearlescent black paint.
Would have really liked to have been able to order 4WD

Order finalised 7th August picked up 30th October (although originally pressed the button on DTD almost a week before that) so ~3 months.
Spec is 204 PS, wood effect floor, art velours seats and lots of other small things which I imagine make little difference (cross climate tyres with lower profile, heated windscreen, safe box in wardrobe, 2nd drawer in bench seat, comfort mattress) - standard bellows, pearlescent black paint.
Would have really liked to have been able to order 4WD
4WD ! Yeah me too ..oh well, trying to convince myself it was meant to be (ie mpg, weight, service costs etc) now that they are back on the configurator :oops:

4WD ! Yeah me too ..oh well, trying to convince myself it was meant to be (ie mpg, weight, service costs etc) now that they are back on the configurator :oops:
I thought you couldn’t have a spare wheel, if you had 4motion. Is that right?

Nice thoughts, but historically it’s not been that way with VW, for the customers or the dealers. No prioritisation for ordering or delivery from a factory order. It’s first come first served.
Maybe not VW Vans generally then, but it's not just car dealers who adopt this tactic. For example you can't get on the waiting list for certain Rolex Daytona or Submariner models unless you have a satisfactory profile. Meaning you've bought a finite amount of Rolex watches from the Jeweler.
I'm pretty sure if you bought a fleet of vans from a VW dealer each year and you started to throw your weight around over delivery times there would be certain strings that could be pulled.

I ordered mine mid Sept and I've been called today to say it should be in the country in the next day or two and delivery should be by month end. If so that's 2 1/2 months, so maybe lead times are coming down.

I'm just hoping it's of the non-buggered bellows variety...........

I ordered mine mid Sept and I've been called today to say it should be in the country in the next day or two and delivery should be by month end. If so that's 2 1/2 months, so maybe lead times are coming down.

I'm just hoping it's of the non-buggered bellows variety...........
Nice. Who have you ordered it with ?

Yeah perfect timing for us too I expect lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi All,

We ordered an Ocean in August and found out today it its still in stage 00 - “Assigned to factory order no production week scheduled”.

Have you just received your factory ordered van and if so, when did you order it?

Not sure if lead times are country specific, but we are in the UK.

The wait is killing us!

Thanks all.
Hi All,

We ordered an Ocean in August and found out today it its still in stage 00 - “Assigned to factory order no production week scheduled”.

Have you just received your factory ordered van and if so, when did you order it?

Not sure if lead times are country specific, but we are in the UK.

The wait is killing us!

Thanks all.
Hi,

Ordered Ocean (150) 9th August.

Had an email today saying that it is now built and awaiting shipment to the UK.

Obviously Christmas will probably delay it further though.

Hope this helps..

Hi,

Ordered Ocean (150) 9th August.

Had an email today saying that it is now built and awaiting shipment to the UK.

Obviously Christmas will probably delay it further though.

Hope this helps..
Nice.

We have ours now - we collected it end of November, so nealry exactly 3 months from order.

It was worth the wait. Hope you enjoy yours.

Too right. If we told these newbies how long some of us had to wait...... some of us over 2 years. 3 months is nothing.
Yeah mine was 18 months, from mid-2020 to late 2021. I had to employ tactics to not think about it. Dealer had no updates. Ever. Never rang me once.

You won’t miss it, but will quietly enjoy higher mpg and a few grand in the bank

Yeah mine was 18 months, from mid-2020 to late 2021. I had to employ tactics to not think about it. Dealer had no updates. Ever. Never rang me once.
wow! .. I would have gone insane.

I'm reliably informed there is currently a glut of most cars, including some that normally command a 12 - 18m waiting list, I'd hazard a guess that you'd get a Cali within 5 weeks if you forced the issue presently ;)

A vintage Cali has to mature at least 12 months on the waiting list and a further 5 weeks by the sea to pick good salty notes. ;)

Back