Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Favorite Factory Options

That's OK I asked for just 3. to make people really think what matters to them...

1. LED Headlights, with 42y under the belt my eyes nightvision are not getting better
2. Air Heater, nice to get warm
3. 204HP and 4 motion

That's OK I asked for just 3. to make people really think what matters to them...
1. LED headlights
2. DSG
3. Adaptive cruise control

My Cali was a cancelled order and I probably would not have ordered the LEDs or ACC but after a years use I am so glad they came fitted.

1. Now I’ve got dsg, never going back
2. 4 wheel drive. It’s rained so much can’t get up my grass drive. I tried a few times. It’s not grass anymore
3. Toilet (they should do one like in Westfalia)

Its interesting that so many have put DSG as their No.1. I have been driving Auto Range Rovers and Discos for 17+ years with the latest a great 8-Speed but for me I have always liked my Campervans manual even the smaller VW ones. Not 100% sure why but it's a different type of drive to a car/4x4 more relaxed and more involved.:)

Couldn’t live with just 3 so my options in priority order are based on living with the vehicle are.

1. Heater
2. 4Motion
3. Parking sensors and camera

4. Awning
5. Cruise control
6. LED Headlights
7. Towbar
8. Multifunction steering wheel
9. App Connect
10. Diff lock
11. Heated windscreen
12. Privacy glass
13. Hill descent control

1. absolutely nothing.

An SE/ocean comes with every thing you actually need as standard. Having learnt to drive before parking sensors / electric windows / central locking / heated seats / air conditioning etc were expected in almost every car, the the standard spec is pretty good. Certainly if coming from a T1 T2 etc its the hight of luxury as standard.

1. Drg
2. 204 engine
3. It starts and goes when I need it to

Parking heater
Parking heater
Parking heater

Down in Cornwall over Christmas.
Set the timer before doing a couple of hours on the beach enjoying storm Dylan as well as a New Year’s Day dip in the Atlantic for a local charity. Bring the family back to a toasty home from home.
Spent most of today watching my lads play rugby and football. Getting them back to the van afterwards to thaw out and see the look of sheer relief and pleasure on their faces was priceless.

I was close to not bothering with a parking heater when I ordered my van, as I thought it was sheer extravagance, I couldn’t imagine life without it now.
The Cali is a second home and a home without heat isn’t the same home, imo of course.

The DSG isn’t bad either....

Its interesting that so many have put DSG as their No.1. I have been driving Auto Range Rovers and Discos for 17+ years with the latest a great 8-Speed but for me I have always liked my Campervans manual even the smaller VW ones. Not 100% sure why but it's a different type of drive to a car/4x4 more relaxed and more involved.:)
Does your RR have the dual clutch gearbox? DSG is unlike automatics.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have also owned two DSG VW California's prior to the current one I am very aware of the gearbox. :thumb

PS: When we owned the previous DSG Californias (As cars) we also had a Frankia & then a Dethleffs large manual gearbox Motorhome at the same time.

PPS: My wife also had a VW Tiguan DSG for 7 years sold about 6 months ago (Now has a Discovery)

I am not knocking the DSG its a great gearbox, I was just pointing out that when I am on holiday/driving for leisure I like my Motorhome/Camper to be a manual. If its just getting from A to B then DSG every time.

:agreed

Last edited:
Back