Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

fire extinguisher

Have a dry powder one of about 1kg powder. Lives in the front bottle drawer of the T6. Don’t know if the T6.1 has this drawer.
Anyone know if the fire stick will fit in here as my extinguisher expires next year?

View attachment 112357

View attachment 112358
Take a look at the specs on

After much deliberation we went for a Firexo extinguisher - I preferred it for the increased range over the firestick. I got this set which comes with a pan fire extinguisher as well which lives in the cutlery drawer. I've mounted the extinguisher on the front of the drivers seat, using a couple of cable ties around the holder.

Firexo Small Fire Extinguisher Safety Pack - 2 Item Pack https://amzn.eu/d/0K31Owq

Do you carry one in your California ?
Which one.
Weight and type?
Fire Safety Stick (50 seconds), small, light, works on all fire categories and doesn't leave any nasty deposit. There is a longer burning version available but we have one of these small ones in each vehicle and two in our house. Search online for the best price as they vary a lot.

Hi don’t believe all the advertising hype for the Fire Stick.
Listen to the recommendations of the Fire Service.

Fire Safety Stick (50 seconds), small, light, works on all fire categories and doesn't leave any nasty deposit. There is a longer burning version available but we have one of these small ones in each vehicle and two in our house. Search online for the best price as they vary a lot.
Hi everyone,
I will do a more detailed reply to some of the questions over the weekend if that's OK. There are a few things worth clarifying I think.

In the meantime, this may be an interesting article for you.
https://firesafetystick.com/kent-fire-and-rescue/

The comment earlier about the historic rally cars is very valid, the FIA has contacted us directly wanting to get approval for worldwide motorsport. There are some interesting fully verified case studies here too. https://firesafetystick.com/news/

Anyway, any technical questions, please ask away.

Thanks!
I think the best way to get a genuine one is to get from the website and use the VIP discount :thumb

We have a fire blanket that is cable tied to the passenger head rest. Thankfully not had to use it in 10 years.

View attachment 112450
Great idea! :)
Very good - perfect way to make sure it's close to hand straight away.

May I suggest, you check for an expiry date on it? Typically, they last for 5 to 7 years and should be replaced after then as the material does start to deteriorate. Commercial installations, they have to be replaced. That said right now, I'm sure having that is certainly better than nothing, but may be think about getting another? Hope you don't mind me suggesting.

The word back from my local fire service Protection Department regarding campervan fire extinguishers. I'd also asked about storing a fire extinguisher horizontally....

"Regarding your campervan, a dry powder extinguisher is best as the extinguisher can be used internally and also dry powders are effective for vehicle engine fires. What you do need to bear in mind however is dry powders will quickly reduce visibility and it is not good to breathe the dust so escape should be made first from a vehicle in the event of a fire and then operate the extinguisher from nearby the side or rear door.

Dry powders have very good knock down effect but do make a lot of mess. CO2 would not be advised due to asphyxiant risk in a confined space and water may not have as good effect as DP.

Stowed horizontally or vertically is fine. I recommend once a month just removing it and gently tipping the extinguisher upside down to loosen the powder and re-stow. Hopefully never needed."

Some very good interesting points. :) Firstly, can I add dry powder extinguishers are very effective indeed, and I am in no way knocking them at all. And I am certainly not disagreeing with the Fire Service you spoke with (as you may have seen, we already have a very good relationship with the regional fire services ourselves).

But I add, please be careful with using them indoors, breathing and visibility is a real issue with them, hence BS5306-8 states that they should not be kept for use within enclosed or confined spaces. In fact they are currently being phased out of all "indoor" installations. If you need to use one, make sure you are between the fire and your escape (as you should always be!), ideally you are indeed outside. Technique is everything too, please don't just squeeze the trigger pointing it at the fire. It should be short, light "puffs". Avoid inhalation and ingestion, or you won't be feeling very well afterwards.

And yes as the point out make sure you regularly shake to mix up the powder inside. It can settle and clump together as a result you may only get a few seconds of discharge time. And when those 5 years are up, make sure you do replace, the green pressure gauge is not enough.

Again let me stress they are very effective extinguishers suitable for class A, B, C and electrical fires.

Have a dry powder one of about 1kg powder. Lives in the front bottle drawer of the T6. Don’t know if the T6.1 has this drawer.
Anyone know if the fire stick will fit in here as my extinguisher expires next year?

View attachment 112357

View attachment 112358

The FSS50 model is 27.5cm long and 3.4cm wide and weight 215g (typically the most suitable)
The FSS100 model is 33.5cm long and 4cm (at its very widest) and weighs 365g

1Kg Powder mounted at the rear base of drivers seat.

Used one on a car fire after a crash and size would be OK if fire caught early as contents soon used, That particular car needed a Fire Crew to extinguish it but I did delay the fire long enough to retrieve personal belongs of the car owner. All the plastic material was the problem.

Great idea! :)
Very good - perfect way to make sure it's close to hand straight away.

May I suggest, you check for an expiry date on it? Typically, they last for 5 to 7 years and should be replaced after then as the material does start to deteriorate. Commercial installations, they have to be replaced. That said right now, I'm sure having that is certainly better than nothing, but may be think about getting another? Hope you don't mind me suggesting.
I have checked the sleeve and there is no expiry date. I had a peek inside and the material looks as fresh as it was when new. It mentions that it is to a BS and it might be that there is a recommended life span.

IMG_9097.jpeg

Hi don’t believe all the advertising hype for the Fire Stick.
Listen to the recommendations of the Fire Service.
I have to say that the fire service now have them in their own vehicles and I have first hand experience with a Fire Stick. We would not have had a rally car left only for it. 4 extinguishers wouldn't put the fire out but a Fire Stick did. Now sell them and have them in camper and home.

I have to say that the fire service now have them in their own vehicles and I have first hand experience with a Fire Stick. We would not have had a rally car left only for it. 4 extinguishers wouldn't put the fire out but a Fire Stick did. Now sell them and have them in camper and home.
Hi pleased to hear you successfully extinguished your car, I have no doubt the fire stick works.
Company’s frequently seek the endorsement of their product by the fire service.The fitting by a vehicle converter who are a distributor of a product into officers cars is not quite the same as advice given to the public on fire safety.
When giving advice it is not biased to any brand or specific product.
Keep Safe

Hi pleased to hear you successfully extinguished your car, I have no doubt the fire stick works.
Company’s frequently seek the endorsement of their product by the fire service.The fitting by a vehicle converter who are a distributor of a product into officers cars is not quite the same as advice given to the public on fire safety.
When giving advice it is not biased to any brand or specific product.
Keep Safe
What is this guy then doing wrong ?

And another. Certainly food for thought and would love to get some feedback.
Instead of extinguishing the flames it was aerating the source of the fire making it worse. :Nailbiting

As someone who almost lost a van to fire recently (see thread: https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/close-call.48740/) I can't stress more the importance of having an extinguisher on board.
Ok so our T4 is older and by default more prone to issues that could spark a fire, doesn't mean it couldn't happen to a newer van.
Timing was of the essence, I'm pretty sure that another 30seconds and the fire would have been out of control and the van would have been lost.

The extinguisher i had only worked briefly, but thankfully enough to do the job - turns out it was out of date - CHECK the expiry dates of your unit and replace if they're overdue.

We've now two on board, a smaller 1kg strapped under the drivers seat for easy access and a second 2kg by the kitchen if the brown stuff hits the fan!
Of course ours was an engine/electrical fire, but could very easily be a cooking related fire.
The ones I have are powder based, but perhaps for an interior fire maybe water would be better as the powder does leave a big mess!
For the sake of 20-30 quid, get one (or two!)...

Was it an under-bonnet fire that you put out with FSS**? Did you lift bonnet fully or pop the pins and squirt through the gap?

(BTW I see you're selling a nice mounting bracket on your website).

** Just edited FFS to FSS. I need to stop calling them that! :)

On such a windy day, he was too close and moving the stick around far too much. In fact, you saw that when he kept it still for a brief moment he allowed the discharge to fully interact with the oxygen around the flame and it was close to extinguishing it but then he started to move it around again (again too close) and so that allowed the flame to flow back. By being a little further away, he should have used the wind to his advantage so the white vapour was being fed to the flame and not beyond it. Remember with a Fire Safety Stick (FSS - and yes I keep dropping and S and replacing it with a F ;) ) you have a long discharge time, take your time and let it work the flame to extinguish it.

We have an extinguisher (dry powder type) which I got when we bought the van. To be honest it’s in the bed drawer and I’d forgotten about it, until I was prompted to check it last weekend. Friends on a site in the English Lakes witnessed a motorhome go up in the same field as they were pitched. They believe it was a bbq that caught and the flame spread to the awning. The van and awning were burning fiercely within a couple of minutes. Only the frame was left by morning. An adjacent motorhome had significant damage, and another van needed to be rolled away from the heat.

Our fire extinguisher has now been moved to the drivers door pocket, which means there’s space for another bottle of wine in the drawer. :thumb

Last edited: