Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Flappy paddles on a Beach

Just as devil's advocate... isn't that what the kick-down is for? (A feature of practically all auto boxes since the 1960s.) Although I agree the paddles allow you to drop down a gear before your floor the throttle if you want, which occasionally may be an advantage. But I think it depends a lot on your style of driving - I always had the 'flying pass' overtaking method drilled into me, years back, so I rarely do a 'sudden burst' overtake.**

But I still never bother with the paddles on our Q5 that has them, I just make sure I'm in sport mode any time I want to be 'pressing on' and I find the DSG box is then responsive enough in auto. May be different on a Cali.

** And, as I'm sure lots of us were told, as spotty youths when we first learnt to drive although almost certainly we weren't listening: "Never attempt to pass in this world by risking passing into the next." ;)

I would be mighty upset if I had paid for something (in this case paddles) and found that it wasn't on my new van. Especially when spending in the region of £50k.

I don't think the original poster was asking for opinions on paddles, but wanted some advice on what to do now the dealer has mucked up the order.

Last edited:
Fair enough. I think the best advice on that has actually been given in this thread (and the same for other spec errors identified on delivery), ie: (a) if you can't live with it, don't accept the vehicle; (b) see if the dealer can remedy the problem locally; or (c) if you can live with it as it is , use it as a bargaining chip to negotiate some compensation or extras.

I guess opinions would vary on whether you'd accept (b) ie the dealer to remedy the paddle-lack in their workshop. Personally i'd be pretty comfortable with it, after all it's presumably purely a parts swap?

My friend and I retro fitted flappy paddles to his T6 DSG kombi using a Mk7 (i think) golf GTi steering wheel. Was a straightforward swap and it didn't even need coding so should be an easy fit for a main dealer to do.

My friend and I retro fitted flappy paddles to his T6 DSG kombi using a Mk7 (i think) golf GTi steering wheel. Was a straightforward swap and it didn't even need coding so should be an easy fit for a main dealer to do.
Many thanks for that info- the dealer told me a retrofit would be impossible!

dealer told me a retrofit would be impossible!

Typical. Don't know, can't be asked to find out, just say it's impossible. That's the dealer way. Seems lots of guys do have done it from reading other forums. Here is an example. Quite a bit more spendy than the original option which is miss from the OP's order though..

Wasn’t that difficult, just a couple of hours and that includes us googling how to remove airbag etc. As stated previous, plenty of folks have done it if you check T5/T6 forum. So no, not impossible as per the dealer!

Congratulations, looks very cool :thumb

What a pain about the paddles though. Only you can decide whether they're important enough to you to insist on being retrofitted or rejecting the vehicle due to breach of contract, or whether you'd be happy enough without them and quite fancy x, y and z that you can ask the dealer to fit as compensation.

Have you got anything in writing that proves you ordered them? An email trail or anything? Would be worth getting to hand in case they start getting awkward (which would be bang out of order).

Really hope this gets sorted out to your satisfaction soon and I'd be interested to read your dealer review at some point.

My ‘18 MY Beach has paddles. They’re very handy for mountains and twistys. Not for driving like Sébastian Loeb but for engine braking, early upshifts and generally having a bit more control without taking your hands off the wheel. I pretty much ONLY use the paddles on twisty mountain roads though - Sport mode on the DSG is sufficient most other times.

I can totally see why you specced them and I’d be upset if they were missed off. That’s just me though. If you can live without - definitely a sweetener is in order!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I dont have them, but I would like them simce I use them on my BMW a lot. Engine breaking when coming to a halt etc.
If the dealer offers to retrofit them I would go with that option. It’s not that complicated. Users on these forums are retrofitting them by themselves.

I dont have them, but I would like them simce I use them on my BMW a lot. Engine breaking when coming to a halt etc.

Kave, is your BMW a petrol engine? Because on a diesel - well one without an exhaust brake anyway - you get not much engine braking (because there's no intake throttling effect).

And with modern, highly effective and sensitive braking systems, ABS and stability control I just can't see many situations where it really makes much sense to rely on engine braking.

Okay, on a long steep descent in the mountains I'll obviously use lower gears to take the edge off the brake fade, but that's quite an unusual situation and in any case only has limited effect with a diesel, for the reason above.

I realise a lot of people just like driving in manual mode for the fun of it and that's 1,000% absolutely fine of course, but I just can't see any real-world practical purpose with modern vehicles. But am I missing something here?

I'm not going to get into the 'brake wear vs. transmission wear' argument because I have very little knowledge of what actually goes on inside a DSG box, TBH. :embarrased

I've always found the mapping on DSG boxes makes the engine too revy and consequentially tiring to drive.
I like manual mode because I prefer to short shift and use the torque.

In my better half's Evoke,I pull out of a junction and pull the paddle three times before i even stick my foot down. #theworldsmostpointless9speedbox.

I've always found the mapping on DSG boxes makes the engine too revy and consequentially tiring to drive.

In my better half's Evoke,I pull out of a junction and pull the paddle three times before i even stick my foot down. #theworldsmostpointless9speedbox.

100% agree on the short shifting. Going up mountains it doesn’t want to let go of the gears. Also pulling onto roundabouts / busy junctions you can eliminate that nasty hesitation by paddle clicking down OR putting the stick into ‘S’ (guessing that’s what you’re referring to and it applies to pretty much every DSG or Auto I’ve ever owned)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bit of a soap box this for me, with the Evoke it just baffles me how the programmers failed to make the system work out you're off throttle/on brakes and change down accordingly?
It only changes down when you get back on the throttle! WTF? Exiting roundabouts is just painful as it waits for throttle input then drops 6 gears and revs it's tits off. Another reason to "paddle up".

The PDK in my Porsche is sublime and changes down as you slow, it's always in the right gear.

I've no idea what the Cali DSG is like but a colleague has a Golf DSG and he loathes it.

Rant over.

Odd my DSG tends to hang on to high gears when I think it should downshift. 7th gear at 40mph not uncommon. Think that it's more so since the Jan. service when to quote 'nothing was done'.

I had a pleasant surprise in my Wife's Citroen C3 when whilst driving in cruise mode (60mph) it changed down 2 gears to keep the speed in check when going down a hill. No ACC system just standard cruise plus speed limiter as an either cruise or limiter mode (just takes the power off when set speed reached).
I thought that it would be good if the Cali did that -- no need for paddles.

Odd my DSG tends to hang on to high gears when I think it should downshift. 7th gear at 40mph not uncommon. Think that it's more so since the Jan. service when to quote 'nothing was done'.

I had a pleasant surprise in my Wife's Citroen C3 when whilst driving in cruise mode (60mph) it changed down 2 gears to keep the speed in check when going down a hill. No ACC system just standard cruise plus speed limiter as an either cruise or limiter mode (just takes the power off when set speed reached).
I thought that it would be good if the Cali did that -- no need for paddles.

Don't pretty much all autos/DSGs have a tilt sensor so they know when you;re going up/downhill? But I may be wrong, it's all a bit dark magic to me.

with the Evoke it just baffles me how the programmers failed to make the system work out you're off throttle/on brakes and change down accordingly?

I hear ya, my Cali is the same. It eventually changes down, better in sport but still not very predictable. Quite a brilliant piece of design engineering seemingly cobbled by the programmers. I'm very happy to have my paddles.

Don't pretty much all autos/DSGs have a tilt sensor so they know when you;re going up/downhill? But I may be wrong, it's all a bit dark magic to me.
If it does mine doesn't work, just goes faster on downhill sections with no downshifts.
Up to 15mph over cruise set speed at least but I've usually dabbed the brakes by that point.
Standard cruise no DCC.

My new beach was delivered back in October and with the sports steering wheel option you get paddle gear shifters.. will post a pic of mine later today. Hope this helps.
Nice to see another black Cali
Have paddles on our ocean and very useful when towing caravan
Especially downhill
Saves taking hands off steering wheel when you want to downshift for engine braking
As you know with sag the van freewheels
Good safety aid but not properly understood by owners or explained by dealer s
Confirm Guy at Vw Preston is a top man
Off to Germany this month for factory tour
.... any fellow travelers ?

I can only comment in relation to my current e350 amg Mercedes- it has a dynamic handling and drive train and I can honestly say I’ve never used the flappy paddles and IMHO your even less likely to miss them on a Cali :)
I never use them on my Polo either.

sounds like the order was messed up. I would go back to the dealer and say that you want the vehicle that you ordered and paid for. If that means the dealer has to order a new vehicle so be it. Agree that you will keep the first one or they will hire you one until the new vehicle is delivered. I would not let the dealer retrofit it as this can cause problems and you may not get the full warranty cover.
They will must likely offer you a cash back / major discount or accessories. They know it will cost them lots to replace your vehicle and if it was their mistake they will have to pay for it. If you can live without the flappy paddle gear change then you could end up with a very cheap Beach plus a dealer that cannot do enough for you.

To my rememberance this rule has been around at least 60 years for cleanliness reasons
Back then most men wear traditional swimming shorts but some used to wear shorts when they had forgotten their shorts which is why the rule was made
Men - no need to be shy - you would only get looked at if you’ll not wearing what you should!

To my rememberance this rule has been around at least 60 years for cleanliness reasons
Back then most men wear traditional swimming shorts but some used to wear shorts when they had forgotten their shorts which is why the rule was made
Men - no need to be shy - you would only get looked at if you’ll not wearing what you should![/QUOT
Sorry - put in the wrong area - perhaps someone can move for me - thanks