Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Forgotten the awning handle!!!

C

calicatchers

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Help! Can anyone suggest a way to unwind and wind back the Cali awning without the crank handle?..... in our rush to pack and get away for our 4week tour of France we forgot to put ours back in the van!!!! So so stupid but. We were trying to work from home, pack and supervise bathrooms being refitted all at the same time! Any suggestions gratefully received!

Borrow one from another Cali at the campsite?

See if you can purchase one and have it sent to your next stop?
using a large screwdriver will take ages.
find a Thule dealer enroute?

Maybe you could try a large screwdriver bit in rechargeable electric screwdriver or drill.

Help! Can anyone suggest a way to unwind and wind back the Cali awning without the crank handle?..... in our rush to pack and get away for our 4week tour of France we forgot to put ours back in the van!!!! So so stupid but. We were trying to work from home, pack and supervise bathrooms being refitted all at the same time! Any suggestions gratefully received!
Lookout for a caravan or motorhome Dealership.

Don't beat yourself up about forgetting the handle. These things happen. You can still enjoy your holiday in France without an awning. Park in the shade of a tree. We've used our Cali in Europe almost every summer for the past seven years, and we don't even have an awning!

Lightning's cordless drill idea sounds plausible. If you could borrow one on site to see if it works then go and buy a cheap one to use for your holiday plus you may need a plug adapter.

Mole wrench with cardboard in the jaws. Clamp it on vertically and it should work.

Take a look under the gas bottle. There should be a T shaped thing in the vent hole.
Maybe it fits the awning?

Take a look under the gas bottle. There should be a T shaped thing in the vent hole.
Maybe it fits the awning?
Psst....:happy...it's a Beach so no gas botle in the rear ......he forgot the handle probally becose there's no fitted storage place for the handle in the benchseat drawer...;)
Still a good tip and worth the try if i ever lose mine

Psst....:happy...it's a Beach so no gas botle in the rear ......he forgot the handle probally becose there's no fitted storage place for the handle in the benchseat drawer...;)
Still a good tip and worth the try if i ever lose mine
Sorry for not noticing the Beach. I just came back after a 560km drive from France.
On the other hand, the T shape is probably too big to fit in the awning anyway.

You could go to any hardware store in the neighbourhood and look if they have a fitting T shape you can buy, or ask any fellow camper if you could use their winder for just 5 seconds? I think most awnings are Thule (Omnistor), and the other brands will have a very similar winder, that would probably fit.

Back