Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

FraRon charger

Wayne rocco

Wayne rocco

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Decided that the original philips charger is fried as it blows an internal fuse as soon as you plug into Mains power. So have ordered a FraRon replacement as suggested by mrcheesbrough and other threads. Has anyone fitted a FraRon replacement? - any detailed instructions or advice gratefully received. It's supposed to be a straight replacement but there have been a few comments about the fridge not working after fitting(?)
Thanks

DSC01896.JPG

DSC01896.JPG

I had the fraron fitted a couple of years back. Can’t give you any technical details on fitting as my local mechanic did it for me, but is did sound like a pull out, drop in job. The fraron works perfectly, but the cooling fan can be a little loud. It’s a noise that I quickly got used to mind..

I had the fraron fitted a couple of years back. Can’t give you any technical details on fitting as my local mechanic did it for me, but is did sound like a pull out, drop in job. The fraron works perfectly, but the cooling fan can be a little loud. It’s a noise that I quickly got used to mind..

Thanks California Bubble - ours is also a 2.4D Cali (1992)

There is deffo a couple of threads in here detailing the Faron install

There is a thread with these photos on. I've just fitted on to my Exclusive. Dead easy. Just run the new supplied supply cable to the leisure battery along with the new temperature sensor. The other plugs are straight forward.
7df1e4ecb860a9eafb8a4ab0cd73cebf.jpg
4b81b8d5af081147b2dc118d7a3b597d.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

There is a thread with these photos on. I've just fitted on to my Exclusive. Dead easy. Just run the new supplied supply cable to the leisure battery along with the new temperature sensor. The other plugs are straight forward.
7df1e4ecb860a9eafb8a4ab0cd73cebf.jpg
4b81b8d5af081147b2dc118d7a3b597d.jpg

Yes thanks, I did find it and installation 'in progress'. Easy bit was fitting the unit. Ironically the main stumbling block at the moment is finding a fuse holder and connectors for the 2.5mm battery cable...........and a wiring diagram would have been helpful. Don't understand why the existing battery cables could not be used?

Didn't yours come with two battery cables? The device is fused on the side so you shouldnt need a separate fuse. Not sure why the existing loom was ditched. Maybe it's so it can work on a wider range of westies?

Didn't yours come with two battery cables? The device is fused on the side so you shouldnt need a separate fuse. Not sure why the existing loom was ditched. Maybe it's so it can work on a wider range of westies?

Yes, but the 'instructions' say to install a fuse at the battery connection (25-30Amp when I asked)
What are the second set of battery leads for?

Yes, but the 'instructions' say to install a fuse at the battery connection (25-30Amp when I asked)
What are the second set of battery leads for?
Interesting. I best double check. I thought it meant fit the fuse supplied. There are two outputs on the charger. You can hook the second one to the engine battery but the second lead is the same length as the other. I'm still sorting out the second output. I'm going to tie it into the terminal at the split charge relay in the back rather than running a new cable the full length of the van.

FraRon Installation. Now installed and working. Prong indication works on the control panel. Fan is a little noisy but probably no worse than the fridge running. In the end was fairly easy except for finding the correct (yellow tag) connectors for the thicker battery wires!!
charger installed.JPG
Only one wire connection reused to the existing 6 way connector to the old westie charger - for the 'prong' indication on the control I presume. Don't know what the other wires were for? (except the battery link)

charger rear.JPG
Rear of charger, the original power plug fitted ok so didn't need any of the adapters provided.

charger front.JPG
Front connections
Grey wire is the temp sensor connected to the neg terminal of the leisure batteries. (that's one of the unused connections on the 6way connection presumably!)
Battery connections, two positive connections and two sets of leads provided with the kit.
ArcticMatt suggests the extra one is for the vehicle battery connection. I have left mine off for the moment. Is it needed?
charger batt conn.JPG
Leisure batteries connections. 25Amp fuse to the positive. FraRon recommended fused connection.

DSC01899.JPG
The offending blown fuse on the original charger. All the electronics looked in good condition so couldn't see an obvious failure and couldn't find anyone willing to look at it. Probably would have cost as much as replacing with the FraRon anyway (210 Euros including shipping- 7 days)

FraRon Installation. Now installed and working. Prong indication works on the control panel. Fan is a little noisy but probably no worse than the fridge running. In the end was fairly easy except for finding the correct (yellow tag) connectors for the thicker battery wires!!
View attachment 32814
Only one wire connection reused to the existing 6 way connector to the old westie charger - for the 'prong' indication on the control I presume. Don't know what the other wires were for? (except the battery link)

View attachment 32815
Rear of charger, the original power plug fitted ok so didn't need any of the adapters provided.

View attachment 32816
Front connections
Grey wire is the temp sensor connected to the neg terminal of the leisure batteries. (that's one of the unused connections on the 6way connection presumably!)
Battery connections, two positive connections and two sets of leads provided with the kit.
ArcticMatt suggests the extra one is for the vehicle battery connection. I have left mine off for the moment. Is it needed?
View attachment 32817
Leisure batteries connections. 25Amp fuse to the positive. FraRon recommended fused connection.

View attachment 32818
The offending blown fuse on the original charger. All the electronics looked in good condition so couldn't see an obvious failure and couldn't find anyone willing to look at it. Probably would have cost as much as replacing with the FraRon anyway (210 Euros including shipping- 7 days)

Will you be willing to sell the original unit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just had our charger blow after a spillage in the van. Went with a loud pop and smell of burning plastic... yay!
Anyway have ordered a Fraron to be shipped to the campsite here in france tomorrow.
I've limited tools, what am I going to need (minimum) to get this fitted in a field repair?
I think the original philips is repairable, but that will have to wait...

As a quick get going job I would assume just a pair of snips and strippers, some tape and cable ties?

Bin the old charger. Its a ticking time bomb. Once the new one is in leave it there. Its got dual output too so I hooked it up to the starter battery too.

Posidrive screwdriver, crimp connectors for the larger cables (5mm2?) crimp tool. I also inserted a 25A fuse holder and fuse as Fraron recommended. Plus suitable sized spanner for the battery connections!
2 weeks later the fridge controller also packed up (coincidence??) another £175! (from Penguin refridgeration)

Ok, have the unit. A couple of urgent questions. Some switch settings on the Fraron (see pic), which do I need for this battery (see other pic).
Cheers!

20180718_201807.jpg

20180718_201815.jpg

Have gone with 'Gel' and 13.5 float. Did some googling on this battery and it that seems to be the case...
Have flicked the switch and seems we're back online! Screen shows the prong and the battery charge is rising. It's true about the fan but think it will be mostly muffled by the covers.
Have seen already the phase move from 'bulk' to 'absorption', so I think all is good...
Fingers crossed no more troubles on this trip!
Cheers all for your input :thumb:D

Just a question on the fan. Seems to stop once in' float' mode. Is that correct?

Just for info, does the Fraron unit/fan make any noise or is it silent?

There's a fan that runs when it's bulk/absorption charging, it's noticeable but not terrible. Similar to the fridge compressor. It appears the fan stops when in the third charging phase (float), but was interested to know if this was to be expected?
I think with a bit of jigery-pokery, you could reduce the noise a little, but that will be for another day... back in holiday mode now that the crisis is averted...
I'm supposing this charger is a little more intelligent than the philips unit, I'm hoping this will be better for the battery in the long run..
Time will tell. Will be interesting to see if the Fraron can last nearly 20 years like the original unit...

My original Phillips charger turned from a battery charger to a smoke generator at the weekend - luckily the smoke alarm and the inline mains breaker both did their thing preventing a worse disaster. I'm also glad I hadn't yet installed my new Exide Gel battery at this point!

I thought I had found a direct second hand replacement on ebay - but got sniped at the last second for that one, I had bid upto my maximum but someone else wanted it more I guess.

So I have ordered the Fraron replacement now - I'll take some photos of the installation, along with the battery replacement next week when it arrives.

My original Phillips charger turned from a battery charger to a smoke generator at the weekend - luckily the smoke alarm and the inline mains breaker both did their thing preventing a worse disaster. I'm also glad I hadn't yet installed my new Exide Gel battery at this point!

I thought I had found a direct second hand replacement on ebay - but got sniped at the last second for that one, I had bid upto my maximum but someone else wanted it more I guess.

So I have ordered the Fraron replacement now - I'll take some photos of the installation, along with the battery replacement next week when it arrives.

Have bought a Fraron and nearly finished fitting it. Just to confirm some details before we connect.

Regarding the charging cable sets. Fraron supplied two sets.

I have assumed that the second set is if the connection is to 2 x gel leisure batteries. Is it?

Question: Does the charging cable, connecting the Fraron charger, run direct to the gel leisure battery terminals and not via a junction box?

Likewise, is the new battery temperature sensor cable (which is connected via the jack on the charger) run direct to the battery terminal i.e. not via a junction box of some kind.

These are most likely very obvious questions to you, but I'm wary of burning anything out.

'Cautious' is my middle name.

Back