Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

German Quality ?

Everyone has to admit that the quality of car has improved drastically from the 70/80's. When Skoda's were compared with skips and BMC's were put in them. But I have to think the German "quality mantle" is fast fading. My Cali was off the road for 4 months in the summer with a reoccurring AC problem, reminded me of BMC cars. Those of us that invest the premium that German vehicles cost hate to admit a mistake down the "pub" so we prolong the German Quality myth. Actually Jaguar and The new Landrover certainly compare in style and engineering IMHO
Agree entirely.....however on this forum the word 'invest' is often used, no idea why as the Cali like all other vehicles is deteriorating from the day it's made, just like humans. Buy it and use it....come what may.

My Morgan is apparently designed to leak through the bonnet when it rains and get your knees wet, keeps the old sods that own them awake & mildly alert.....

BerndRos

Personally I wouldn't touch a Morgan. But isn't it one of those cars you have a love affair with ? Everyone knows love is blind. Have to admit they improve ones chances of "pulling" they do look....

BerndRos

Personally I wouldn't touch a Morgan. But isn't it one of those cars you have a love affair with ? Everyone knows love is blind. Have to admit they improve ones chances of "pulling" they do look....
Marmite......

Great bonnets though....

And around these traffic free Portugal roads a 'joy' to drive....

The Landrover leaks like a sieve. Finger crossed now cured, but it not be unknown to have a inch of so of water in one side or the other, acceptable in a Defender, frowned upon in a Discovery. Sunroof drains (.....into car!).

My relationship with Audi felt much like this:

:D

The Landrover leaks like a sieve. Finger crossed now cured, but it not be unknown to have a inch of so of water in one side or the other, acceptable in a Defender, frowned upon in a Discovery. Sunroof drains (.....into car!).

My relationship with Audi felt much like this:

:D
Oh I like that.....

My pet hate is...a garage that offers you a coffee, thinking that's it's part of 'customer service' what's that all about ?

"Wot" he said above.

Drain a battery in 10min by leaving a key in the ignition = BS. They should have also put a volt meter on the battery to check the reading.
They did. They managed to get the battery fully charged from 'flat' in about 10 minutes. I think I was meant to be impressed.

Collected Marvin this morning. He made it about 10 miles before deciding to stop for a rest in traffic. After about 5 minutes he had got his breath back and made it back to the dealers. I always thought transporters were designed to be good for more than 10 miles. Maybe the Germans have started a drive to lower expectations.

Collected Marvin this morning. He made it about 10 miles before deciding to stop for a rest in traffic. After about 5 minutes he had got his breath back and made it back to the dealers. I always thought transporters were designed to be good for more than 10 miles. Maybe the Germans have started a drive to lower expectations.
No don't be daft 10 miles is good.
Your doing well on the ironic humour. Without doubt the best way to handle it. Must be something very simple but very annoying. Good luck and keep us posted

Mike

Have you tried turning the stop/start off. Might be a fault there??
I suggested that to them this morning but in the modern era it is apparently only possible to find the fault if it is active (ie the vehicle is b*ggered) at the time of testing! I asked if VW would care to lend me a suitable laptop so I could plug it in immediately Marvin stopped for a rest but they didn't seem too keen. I get the impression that a VW 'engineer' could not diagnose a missing steering wheel without a suitable computer program. Young Mr Vincent (salesman) has taken the van home with him to see if it can happen while he drives it. I hope Marvin picks a good traffic jam to stop in so he can explain to the traffic police that no attempt to move the van should be made until the man with the laptop arrives to diagnose th problem.

Last edited:
You will have to have words with Marvin if he lets Young Mr Vincent get past 10 miles.

Mike

Young Mr Vincent (salesman) has taken the van home with him to see if it can happen while he drives it. I hope Marvin picks a good traffic jam to stop in so he can explain to the traffic police that no attempt to move the van should be made until the man with the laptop arrives to diagnose th problem.

Are you sure Mr Vincent hasn't got a weekend break in mind ? Fit a TK102, plug it in by the rear hidden cup holder and check his location :)

I would think Marvin would be perfect for a weekend break (down). VW could offer all their computer operatives a mystery training experience at a place of Marvin's choosing.

Potem, I feel your pain. I guess we (the world) have got to a position where everyone (nationality wise) produces cars that are all reliable and the VW, Audi, Mercedes, and BMW do not have a significant edge or USP anymore than the Koreans. I remember BMW making bubble cars in the UK when they were thought of as a cheap brand. SKODA use to be the same. The diesel scandal at VW has lots more to run, infecting the German brand. So no more vive la difference

Had a skoda Fabia take a rest on me once - breakdown guy turns up, plugs in computer and declairs there is nothing wrong with it. On giving him the keys and it starting but refusing to run past 3 seconds he went a little red! Took a garage full of techs 2 weeks to figure it out - turbo decided to dump its blades down the exhaust - but computer said all was well.

Back