Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Glass worktops scratched

spanner

spanner

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Just noticed my glass worktops have some very deep scratches on them, we never cut anything on them so not sure how it occured. I would of thought seeing as this is in a way a worktop VW would of used a better quality glass as there are so many new technologies with glass now like gorilla glass etc.

Get them wrapped .. That's what I'm going to do ;-)

Be careful if you wrap them, the heat from a warm pan could cause bubbles in the wrap.

Ajspicer said:
Be careful if you wrap them, the heat from a warm pan could cause bubbles in the wrap.

i personally would attempt to put hot pans on the glass without a silicone matt, but then you would have the lid up ,as your using the burners .. ;)

Ajspicer said:

There's am interesting one... I'll pop some spare vinyl on mine how and see what it takes to damage it :)

Got to be worth a go.

M

What vinyl should you use to wrap it?

Thanks.
Mark

markh said:
What vinyl should you use to wrap it?

Thanks.
Mark

Lot's of choices to be honest.

I'd use a hard wearing exterior permanent vinyl. Personally a fan of the 3M 1080 and Avery ... Matt black is my preference.

Could easily do carbon fibre effect.

I've some Avery and Oracle spare, so I'll give that a go.

M

Why not use the frosted glass effect stuff. I might do mine before our 15 month baby scratches the tops!

Ajspicer said:
Why not use the frosted glass effect stuff. I might do mine before our 15 month baby scratches the tops!

It's an idea... Called "Manisfestation" by many suppliers. Typically designed for windows and not as hardwearing as vehicle vinyl.

Still it's indoors and being on glass shouldn't have to take too much of a beating... Could be worth a try :clap

M

spanner said:
Just noticed my glass worktops have some very deep scratches on them, we never cut anything on them so not sure how it occured.

Glass has a range of compositions, it's hardness is quite variable, but can generally be reckoned as about 5.5. on the Moh's Scale. Even if you wrap it i feel this will not protect it, could it of been caused by a ring to watch while picking something up.? I say this, as I've just bought a cali the two things i have are a very tasteful bear mat and bundles of carefulness.

:D

Goose

I think ours have scratched simply from putting drinking cups on them.

Mine is unscratched (at the minute) ;)
I'm talking now when the glass tops down a simple coaster kept to hand I feel should eliminate that issue i suppose its like protecting your solid oak table at home a natural instinct is to get something to put down to protect it from the heat. I think because its glass theres not a need to protect from heat but every need to protect from scratching, (bear in mind the bottom of a coffee cup is very rough) im just at the point of starting out so things like this benefit me.

Anyone know of VW Cali coasters i could buy. :thumb

Goose

Goose, we use some large thin place mats/cutting boards from Ikea they are cheap use them like large coaster

NEW CUSTOM MADE WORKTOP PROTECTOR COMING SOON :thumb

Mrs Davidofhook was not happy when the Cali arrived with glass work
The ones in the Westfalia Cali were metal and therefore useful!
Under her direction I have used some of that plastic mesh that stops stuff sliding about in campers carefully cut to size. Looks fine and protects the surfaces.
I have seen one club member with tastefully embroidered covers but as embroidery is not one of my areas of strength we've gone for the mesh!

The new protector will be made from coloured
Plastic shaped and laser etched with the word california
It will also be food safe.

Calikev said:
The new protector will be made from coloured
Plastic shaped and laser etched with the word california
It will also be food safe.

Will this be a one off, my Cali won't arrive till Feb will I be able to get from you later,
Pete

No peter once it goes into production it will be available all the time there should be some at cotf 2014 as well :thumb

Thanks trying to avoid buying stuff for the van before it arrives, or we could end up not getting it all on the van

Back