Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Goodyear vector4 vs. Michelin Crossclimates

thehorse

thehorse

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
The vector 4’s I’ve had on the van from new are coming up for replacement, they have been fine but has anyone compared them to the crossclimates in terms of grip, wear, comfort etc?
The crossclimates are £141/Tyre vs £128 for the Goodyear’s.
Very interested to hear from anyone that has had both.

I've had both, slightly in favour of Michelin.

There have been a lot of threads on this subject, have a browse in "wheels and tyres". , lots of information.

I haven‘t had both but just settled on the Michelins, not sure if price is a consideration but Michelin we’re doing a cash back that saved £10 per tyre.

The vector 4’s I’ve had on the van from new are coming up for replacement, they have been fine but has anyone compared them to the crossclimates in terms of grip, wear, comfort etc?

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"...I would stick with the same if you are happy with them.

I've had both, slightly in favour of Michelin.

There have been a lot of threads on this subject, have a browse in "wheels and tyres". , lots of information.

GJ out of interest what is it about the Michelins that you prefer?

GJ out of interest what is it about the Michelins that you prefer?

Having been on them for about 3 years now it's hard to dredge up initial impressions but my first one was being quieter. At certain speeds I would get a rumble from the Goodyear that I don't get from the Michelin.

I also got through quite a few tyres, mostly sidewall damage with rocks, stones etc. and a little bit of lousy driving,: whilst my lifestyle has now shifted to mostly tarmac I've not yet had a damaged Michelin and on my second set.

My very first impressions were within a week of having them fitted, a pennine snowstorm crossing quite a steep hill with a lot of hard old snow underneath and they felt totally footsure, but then that was an attribute I would apply to the Goodyear equally.

Of course I also have to be fair to say that Goodyear since have introduced a new "vector" but if I was changing again then it would be "Don't fix what's not broke".

Having been on them for about 3 years now it's hard to dredge up initial impressions but my first one was being quieter. At certain speeds I would get a rumble from the Goodyear that I don't get from the Michelin.

I also got through quite a few tyres, mostly sidewall damage with rocks, stones etc. and a little bit of lousy driving,: whilst my lifestyle has now shifted to mostly tarmac I've not yet had a damaged Michelin and on my second set.

My very first impressions were within a week of having them fitted, a pennine snowstorm crossing quite a steep hill with a lot of hard old snow underneath and they felt totally footsure, but then that was an attribute I would apply to the Goodyear equally.

Of course I also have to be fair to say that Goodyear since have introduced a new "vector" but if I was changing again then it would be "Don't fix what's not broke".

Ah, tyre damage... across a range of tyres on various vehicles, I seem to have had a tedious string of nearly-new tyres having to be replaced, quite often due to a puncture on the tread but close to the sidewall. It seems like every couple of months. I can't remember the last time I took a tyre into the tyre shop and they said "yes sir we can repair that" (funnily enough). Sigh.

For the Cali, an all-seasons version of a proper heavy duty van tyre would make a lot of sense to me. I'd put up with a little bit of noise for the reduced likelihood of a puncture while out in the sticks. Has anyone tried the Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Cargo?

I've had both. Slight improvement in Fuel economy with the Michelin and slightly quieter on the motorway. Wear rate possibly a little better with the Michelin on my 4 Motion. Equal all round after 20,000 miles. Grip the same.

This could become a looong thread .
In tyres there's so much choice an opinions.
But people sometimes make decisions on the price , 20€ a tyre diffrerence seems a lot but in the end a better tyre is well worth that money.
I just putted Cross Climat on mine but only done a few hundred km with them.

For the Cali, an all-seasons version of a proper heavy duty van tyre would make a lot of sense to me. I'd put up with a little bit of noise for the reduced likelihood of a puncture while out in the sticks. Has anyone tried the Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Cargo?

They were specced from new on our van, really good. I'd say slightly more winter biased that the cross-climates and as you say designed to be heavy duty.

I’ve got both and both brands , I bought Goodyear for the VW because at the time the ice and snow rating was slightly better than crossclimates , yet the Michelin Cross Climates are slightly better in hotter weather . So as the VW makes the Northern mountain winter trips, to see the Northern Lights for example , it was an easy choice. We have a car in the South of France where 40c , more in the sun is common in the summer , yet in winter we get icy roads and sometimes , so we have a set Of CC on a Seat Leon and another set on a van we run.
Id choose according to your usage , the price difference is marginal, perhaps Michelin last longer ?